UKC

NEWS - Climbing 'Emoji' Launched

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 Mar 2017
Climbing Emoji, 4 kbExciting news just in for the cool kids: climbing now has its own 'emojicon' or 'emoji' - the smileys and ideograms used in messaging apps, social media and webpages. US professional climber Sasha DiGiulian helped emoji design and approval committees to create the new 'Person Climbing' emojis, which will be coming to your keyboards later this year.Read more
 planetmarshall 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

There will be 12 variations on the climber icon, including multiple skin tones and genders for increased diversity and a wider appeal.

Presumably including a middle aged, bearded British trad climber?
 Greasy Prusiks 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Hold on to your Ron Hills this could cause some excitement...
 Rob Parsons 29 Mar 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> There will be 12 variations on the climber icon

Isn't the point about these things that the actual design of the icon isn't mandated by anybody: all that's standardized is the Unicode. In that respect there are an unlimited number of icons.
In reply to UKC News:

Is it just me or is this story a couple of days early?
 Michael Hood 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News: No boulderer emoji? You know, topless, but with a beanie on (not sure what the female version would be).

Stanners 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I imagine it is not just me who has sighed in disappointment at climbing leaning further towards the consumer iphone culture ? Are we all agreed anyone who sends this will get a thorough re-briefing on acceptable levels of communication as a real-life human being?
 Robert Durran 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Stanners:

> I imagine it is not just me who has sighed in disappointment at climbing leaning further towards the consumer iphone culture ?

I'm sure that real climbers will only use them ironically. Just like imported American climbing terminology.
 Andy Hardy 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

My life is now complete. Thank you so very much.
 hms 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Stanners:

isn't that a slightly cynical and hard-bitten view from a bona fida 'young person'?!
 d_b 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

It's still March.
In reply to Michael Hood:

> No boulderer emoji? You know, topless, but with a beanie on (not sure what the female version would be).

In the spirit of equality shouldn't it be the same but female.

snoop6060 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Can we get a UK specific one where it's just some old guy shouting about stuff he doesn't like. Can you convey that in an emoji?
 GrahamD 29 Mar 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

> Can we get a UK specific one where it's just some old guy shouting about stuff he doesn't like. Can you convey that in an emoji?

That isn't UK specific. In fact its not restricted to old guys either.
 mike123 29 Mar 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> There will be 12 variations on the climber icon, including multiple skin tones and genders for increased diversity and a wider appeal.Presumably including a middle aged, bearded British trad climber?

With Ron hills , faded Motörhead t shirt and a beer gut just visible ?
 mrteale 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Stanners:

> I imagine it is not just me who has sighed in disappointment at climbing leaning further towards the consumer iphone culture ? Are we all agreed anyone who sends this will get a thorough re-briefing on acceptable levels of communication as a real-life human being?

lol!!!!! xD :smilingturdemoji:
 pebbles 29 Mar 2017
In reply to snoop6060:
> Can we get a UK specific one where it's just some old guy shouting about stuff he doesn't like?

thats already been bagged for the brexiter emoji
Post edited at 13:53
In reply to UKC News:

This is great news and much needed !
 SuperLee1985 29 Mar 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
 toad 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Lordy. I was convinced this was April foolery, but it's an actual thing. sod brexit. THIS is the herald of the end times....
 astoman 29 Mar 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
I also had to check the date. It says a lot about Sasha though that she is now an emoji. When was the last time she did something noteworthy that was actually climbing performance related?
Post edited at 15:09
 leon 1 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News: Whats the emoji for 'youve done fck all on grit !' ?
In reply to astoman:

She was busy getting her degree from Columbia University and balancing her many other commitments. Being a pro climber doesn't mean you're on top form continuously.
In reply to UKC News:

> Sasha DiGiulian helped emoji design and approval committees

There are design and approval committees for emojis?

FFS.
 allarms 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> She was busy getting her degree from Columbia University and balancing her many other commitments. Being a pro climber doesn't mean you're on top form continuously.

I wish I could like this more than once.

When will ukc become emoji friendly?
Removed User 30 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Brought to you by the people that brought you 'Climb Britain'?
Post edited at 11:27
 Toerag 30 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

so what's the unicode going to be?
 Rob Parsons 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Toerag:

> so what's the unicode going to be?

Fill yer boots: http://www.unicode.org/emoji/charts/emoji-list.html

And, whilst there, why not try an 'Exploding head'? Or, perhaps, a 'Merperson'? You can never have too many of those ...
In reply to Stanners:

Like, get with the now Grandad!
In reply to captain paranoia:

Do you think things just pop into existence? Committees make the world go round and give people an enormous sense of self importance and well being.
blahblahblacksheep 31 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

what the f*** has our world become?! Exciting news?!
 Michael Hood 31 Mar 2017
In reply to climbnplay: I made the mistake of going onto the emoji website linked somewhere above and looking down the list - OMG!!!

and I thought I was sad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...