UKC

Silva compass air bubble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 29 Mar 2017
I have a Silva compass with an air bubble that has grown significantly. Some questions...

1. Is there any way to remove the air bubble?
2. Will the compass still work?
3. I suspect that it's still orienting correctly but that it takes longer to settle - is this correct?

Just exploring all options before biting the bullet and buying a new compass - the worst part of which is choosing which one to buy (as with many things nowadays there's too much unnecessary choice).

Thanks for any advice.
 Mike-W-99 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

Contact silva, they will ask for a code that's written on it. Free replacement if it's in warranty.
OP Michael Hood 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Mike-W-99:
Nowhere near warranty unless it's more than 10 years

Just found https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=597797 which says that Silva warranty is 5 years so no point sending it back to them.

Any heath robinson repairs out there?
Post edited at 14:38
 Rob Parsons 29 Mar 2017

I don't think it's 'repairable' but, to answer your initial question: it doesn't stop the compass working - you just have to slightly careful in use, and make sure that the bubble is not fouling the needle enough to influence where it's pointing.

Otherwise: just buy a new one. 20 quid (or so) over ten years is pretty good value,
Post edited at 14:49

> I have a Silva compass with an air bubble that has grown significantly. Some questions...1. Is there any way to remove the air bubble?2. Will the compass still work?3. I suspect that it's still orienting correctly but that it takes longer to settle - is this correct?Just exploring all options before biting the bullet and buying a new compass - the worst part of which is choosing which one to buy (as with many things nowadays there's too much unnecessary choice).Thanks for any advice.

Could you not make a small micro drill hole then refill with a little oil removing the air in the process and reseal with epoxy of similar.
Given its a bit fiddly but I'd be tempted to give it ago if my only other option is chucking it out.

TWS
mysterion 29 Mar 2017

It will continue to work until the bubble gets so big that it doesn't
Nothing to add to other answers, but if it is of any use I have an old Silva compass to give away (probably an explorer pro though not certain) in good condition - no bubble anyway . I can send photos if you pm me.
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Could you not make a small micro drill hole then refill with a little oil removing the air in the process and reseal with epoxy of similar.Given its a bit fiddly but I'd be tempted to give it ago if my only other option is chucking it out.TWS

I've just discovered that there already is a little hole - much smaller than could be drilled - and this is what's causing the air bubble to grow (now) before my eyes

I think chucking out will be the answer.
 Andy Say 29 Mar 2017

If you buy a micrometer you can use the bubble size as an altimeter
In reply to Andy Say: I've successfully reduced the bubble size but replacing it with water isn't optimal although you get a nice cloudy emulsion if you give it a shake

Maybe it'll work for Sunday's orienteering (which is before a replacement would arrive), but then I don't use it much for that anyway.

Jenny C 29 Mar 2017

As said above, so long as the bubble is small and you wobble he base plate to ensure it doesn't stop the needle from floating freely it really isn't a problem.

If in doubt though probably worth spending the pennies on a replacement and keeping the old one as a spare.
 blurty 29 Mar 2017

But where the hell does the bubble come from in the first place? Dissolved air?

In reply to blurty: Tiny hole, presumably got damaged when it got very muddy slipping over during orienteering. Could see the little stream of bubbles when I got the bezel round the right way and squeezed/relaxed. So the bubble was basically just replacing the oil that must have leaked out of the tiny hole.

In reply to Jenny C: Have just ordered the cheapest "ok" one I could find (Silva 123Go for £12.51 inc P&P) and will see how this goes. If not good enough then I'll have to think about getting a better one (quicker settling, steadier when running).

The current one is no longer even suitable as a spare - bin fodder once the new one arrives.

sbc23 29 Mar 2017

Trying to replace the oil doesn't work. We use these compasses for diving survey where a bubble totally stops them working when it compresses at depth and prevents the needle moving.

We sacrificed one compass and used the spare oil to inject into another three with a needle and syringe. It doesn't mix properly. Not sure if it has changed formula over time or some other problem with contamination/water.

Chuck it and get a new one. Buy from an actual shop, new ones sometimes have bubbles in from day 1.
Jim C 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

> As said above, so long as the bubble is small and you wobble he base plate to ensure it doesn't stop the needle from floating freely it really isn't a problem. If in doubt though probably worth spending the pennies on a replacement and keeping the old one as a spare.

I have a WWII Luftwaffe compass that has a bubble, and also has a central circle that seems to be to level it up, the bubble sits in the circle exactly when the compass is perfectly level.
 Rick Graham 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> I have a WWII Luftwaffe compass that has a bubble, and also has a central circle that seems to be to level it up, the bubble sits in the circle exactly when the compass is perfectly level.

Nice design feature.

Of my selection of compasses, one has a bubble that I try to keep central for that reason, always thought someone else would have had the idea first.

TBH I usually carry the one with no oil in, it still points the correct way and I console myself that its lighter for the few times I use it.

Usually needed only in Scottish winter to get back from Carn Etch or Shelterstone Crag.
The one time I used a compass at Lochnagar, I ended up in the wrong corrie, this was before a mistake on the OS map was common knowledge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...