UKC

Mount Khuiten - Mongolia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wupert 29 Mar 2017
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of climbing Mount Khuiten. Ideally if anyone has any experience of doing it not as an organised expedition.

From what I've read from around the web and previous posts on UKC, getting some in country help for the flights from Ulanbaatar to Olgii and then a driver to get to the road head along with obtaining permits is maybe not necessity but a good idea and would save a lot of time.
Does anyone have any recommendation of local tour companies recently?

The climbing sounds fairly straightforward after than, does anyone know what the weathers like in early September?

Cheers
Rob
 Mark123 29 Mar 2017
In reply to wupert:
Good choice - Mongolia is a fascinating country and Khuiten a good climb (PD grade by normal route) with superb scenery.
I summited Khuiten in early September 2014. During mid-late August we had a 2 days of snow showers over 2 weeks, otherwise very good, and weather was settled in early September. I didn't have enough time to organize the trip myself , so I used a UK company (KE), which went very well. The drive to the road head was about 10 hours - so worth getting a reliable company. Here's a link to a video I made of the trip to give you an overview.

youtube.com/watch?v=rzMUAuw9KLs&

OP wupert 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Mark123:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply, great video! Looks amazing.
Yeah we would like to do it a bit cheaper than with a UK based company, hopefully allowing us to do the trans Siberian railway afterwards.

Hoping someone might pop up with a recommended in country company or fixer....

It terms of summit clothing and kit, would you say similar to alpine summer clothing (Mont Blanc) or a bit colder?

Cheers
Rob
 hokkyokusei 05 Apr 2017
In reply to wupert:

You could try asking this guy: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=660874
 Mark123 06 Apr 2017
In reply to wupert:

I found it a little bit colder than climbing Mont Blanc, particularly at the high camp when the sun went down or when it got cloudy. I'd suggest - just in case- one more layer of extra clothing compared to typical alpine summer gear, and certainly warm bag, gloves and boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...