UKC

Changes to your kit to make it perfect

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 29 Mar 2017
Afternoon folks, (well it is here in Trumps Washington DC)
following on from the jacket for minus temperatures thread, folk were saying "drop hoods" were a bit useless on jackets which I agree with. A couple of jackets I've had would have been totally perfect if it wasn't for that type of hood.

So, what kit have you got that you absolutely love but there are things that slightly annoy you?

My favourite jacket is my DAS Parka BUT, and it's a big but. The biggest flaw in it is that the hem cinches are in the middle! So you tighten the hem and end up with a huge clump of material exactly where your belay point is on your harness, bloody annoying otherwise it would be perfect.

Any more for any more?
In reply to Denni:
I now tend to quickly get my clothing altered if I don't like it.

I got the flared ankles on four pairs of softshell trousers taken in so the now perfectly fit around my walking and mountaineering boots. I also had the hoods on two RAB Boreas tops reduced by an inch or so they no longer drop over my eyeline.

In fact my friendly alterations shop is currently turning a long-sleeved baselayer into a T-shirt, patching one pair of Moon Cypher pants, replacing a zip on another pair and repairing my tent bag...
 Smythson 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Denni:

I'm currently thinking about sewing thumb loops into everything i own...
 Prof. Outdoors 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Denni:

Quite a few from me.

Putting a wire into an old Buffalo hood to stop it flapping over my eyes.
Tying a small loop of perlon onto zip pulls to enable use by gloved hands.
Tying small loop of shockcord to winter gloves so less worry taking them off in the wind.
Tying perlon on to side of rucksack to keep snow pickets out of the way when ice climbing.
Creating extra large windshields out of sandwich trays to shelter stoves.
Cutting a very small block of sole tread away on my B3 boot to enable rand of Yeti gaiter to fit really securely.
Cutting the lining material out of an old Rab Vapourise hood so it actually folded away.
Taking out the overtight elastic in a Rab Gilet to stop it bunching up if I raised my arms.
Getting Paramo to extend my new Velez by 3" so it was a decent length. Excellently done.
Learning that I needed to stay indoors so I did not get soaking wet in above Paramo.

Serial modifier here.

AlanLittle 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Denni:

What's a "drop hood"?
 Bimble 30 Mar 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

> What's a "drop hood"?

A drop bear ghetto.
 AlanLittle 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Bimble:

Ah. Thanks.
 Dave the Rave 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Denni:

2 inches of belly fat loss would make my Rohan Suoerstrider breeches perfect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...