UKC

Pembroke classic & hard rock routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blake 31 Mar 2017
If they were to do a revised re-release of the timeless Classic and Hard Rock books with the inclusion of Pembroke, which routes would you like to see in there and why?
 d_b 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Sea Tube
OP Blake 31 Mar 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Just looking at it now... looks mental
 d_b 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

It is really good fun but you need the right mindset.

I sent a friend who normally climbs about 7a up it last year. Don't think I have ever heard so much swearing
In reply to Blake:

Pleasuredome. Interesting hard climbing in a very interesting position. A long pitch needing thougtfull rope work, strength, stamina and a cool head.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Deidre Sud for Classic Rock and Deep Space (or one of a thousand others) for Hard Rock,

Chris
In reply to Blake:

Blue sky. An exciting and commiting abseil into a rareish for s pembs multi pitch climb on great rock in an exposed position.

Inner space. A wiered and exciting climbing experience. Taking you to places you don't expect to go on an hvs.
 Tony Jones 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Armorican for Classic Rock maybe?
 freemanTom 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Out of my limited Pembroke experience Blue Sky gets my vote with apologies to Diedre Sud and Armorican.
 Tom Valentine 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Tony Jones:

And Red Wall, Porthclais.
 d_b 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Good call.

In the same general area, there are few easy routes more photogenic than Apex Arête (VD)
 GrahamD 31 Mar 2017
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Pleasuredome. Interesting hard climbing in a very interesting position. A long pitch needing thougtfull rope work, strength, stamina and a cool head.

Also too hard. In reality Hard Rock is about E1 max. Pembroke is already featured in Extreme Rock.
 GrahamD 31 Mar 2017

> And Red Wall, Porthclais.

I think you would struggle to write a Classic/Hard Rock essay on Red Wall, to be honest. And the essay is at least as important as the climb in those books, which were never about being a 'best of' compilation
 The Ivanator 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Big bad Barad (E1 5b) (E1 in latest guide, but still ideal Hard Rock territory).
 Simon Caldwell 31 Mar 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> I think you would struggle to write a Classic/Hard Rock essay on Red Wall, to be honest. And the essay is at least as important as the climb in those books, which were never about being a 'best of' compilation

They managed it for Birchen...
 The Ivanator 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Think my mini epic on Red Wall could be extended into an entertaining essay, my log notes:

Solo O/S
Abbed in with Mini Traxion intending to do a protected solo, stupidly dropped mini traxion in the sea when rigging up at the ledge! Stripped down to pants and attempted free diving retrieval of the device to no avail. So did the route as a proper solo instead - lovely climb, I was relieved that it was very mild for a Severe, positive holds all the way.

...a full description would probably end up more comic than the standard Classic Rock essay!
 GrahamD 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Well I suppose Birchens is Grit whereas Red Wall is sort of harder shale with nowhere near the history. Have to admit I haven't got Classic Rock so I'm less familiar with it than Classic Rock and I'd forgotten Birchen was there. I still maintain red Wall is a good climb but it isn't really very interesting.
 GrahamD 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

In character with the books, I might propose Gnome on the Range for Classic and maybe Lucky Strike for Hard (although the latter is maybe too obvious)
 Simon Caldwell 31 Mar 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

I can't remember anything about Red Wall other than getting to the start, which was definitely quite interesting!
 David Barlow 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Church Rock off Broad Haven beach is great fun. Best approached by swimming of course.
In reply to GrahamD:

Fair point Graham, was forgetting hard rock only went up to about e1.

Could stick in manzoku at stennis head, a great pitch at a more correct grade, but the position isn't as good as it is not directly above the sea.

d_b 31 Mar 2017
In reply to David Barlow:

I did some routes there (inc some new ones) a couple of years ago. I would say it is worth it for the experience but not so much for the climbing. You need a higher than average enthusiasm for guano and choss. Fortunately I do
 Martin Hore 31 Mar 2017

> Fair point Graham, was forgetting hard rock only went up to about e1. Could stick in manzoku at stennis head, a great pitch at a more correct grade, but the position isn't as good as it is not directly above the sea.

Was going to say that Pleasure Dome is too hard for Hard Rock, but you got there first.

Of those I've done I'd plump for Rock Idol. Not done Lucky Strike yet though, or Barad.

Of course the one you really could write an essay about is Preposterous Tales!!

Martin
 philhilo 31 Mar 2017

Errrr.....Hard Rock has many routes in excess of E1 all the way up to E4, and aid lines too. Pleasure Dome, great but Preposterous Tales definitely.
In reply to philhilo:

Ah, looks like memory is failing me, and others, then. I should look through it again.
In reply to The Ivanator:

If only someone else would check it out, Cordelia in the same area of cliff but much more isolated, would blow your socks off.
In reply to GrahamD:

Red Wall stands on its own strengths as a perfect rock climb of similar length to many a gritstone classic featured in Classic Rock.
It typifies the sunny side of North Pembroke climbing, is really quite photogenic and its alleged lack of history doesn't mean a lot to me.
 Martin Hore 31 Mar 2017
In reply to philhilo:

> Errrr.....Hard Rock has many routes in excess of E1 all the way up to E4, and aid lines too. Pleasure Dome, great but Preposterous Tales definitely.

I don't think that's true. There may be routes in Hard Rock that now go at E4 but they are described with points of aid in Hard Rock. E2 though certainly, possibly the odd E3 (Big Groove?).

Martin
 Mick Ward 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Martin Hore:

I suspect if Graham had written, 'In reality Hard Rock is about E3 max' rather than 'In reality Hard Rock is about E1 max', we might be less confused.

Mick
 Chris Murray 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Hard Rock: Heart of Darkness with the New Morning finish. What. A. Route! Also Riders on the Storm and Rock Idol.

Classic Rock: I'd include Diedrie Sud, Blue Sky and also Myola. Amorican just misses the cut because it's essentially the same move x20.

That's six for the area which is less than it deserves.
 FactorXXX 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Blake:

Haven't done it myself, but people that have rave about 'Underneath the Arches' at Mewsford.
 Tom Valentine 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

I don't remember the overlap move being the same as the moves that had preceded it.
 Chris Murray 01 Apr 2017

Yes, that's true, but apart from the last 10' it's pretty samey
 Bulls Crack 01 Apr 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Big bad Barad (E1 5b) (E1 in latest guide, but still ideal Hard Rock territory).

I won't argue with E1! Good, unusual atmospheric route.
 BarrySW19 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Blake:

I reckon Bow-Shaped Slab (HS 4b) would be the one for Classic Rock.
OP Blake 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Blake:

Just had a good read of these... its an area i've climbed at quite a few times, but i don't personally feel like i've become intimate with Pembroke - I reckon I'll make a ticklist with all of these routes on and go and do em all! thanks so much for the input every1, have to keep you posted.
 GrahamD 04 Apr 2017
In reply to philhilo:

I'll concede E2 for Hard Rock, climbed in original style. Surely the harder routes are their free grade ? But E1 and E2 at Pembroke are at the lower end of the Extreme Rock range so for Hard Rock it would be good to fit in something in the HVS/E1 range.
 GrahamD 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

I'll grant you E2....
In reply to GrahamD:

I'd say Rock Idol for Hard Rock and Deirdre Sud for Classic Rock.
 philhilo 05 Apr 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

OK, just checked my 2nd edition grades as printed in the back and there are 9 E2s, 1 E3, yes Big Groove and 1 E4 Great Slab. Extreme Rock has a bunch of E1s and up but does include Pembroke.
OP Blake 07 Apr 2017
In reply to philhilo:

I have extreme rock right here, the pembroke routes are:

- the star gate and the space face routes - careys
- mythical monster, quiet waters, witch hunt - huntsmans
- surprise attack and the mewsford routes - mewsford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...