UKC

UK webbing pull testing labs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Lopez 31 Mar 2017
Anyone knows where it would be possible to send a small amount of webbing samples to get pull tested which won't cost a small fortune?

Got a few out in Europe, but something more local would make life easier.

Cheers
 summo 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Speak to Lyon equipment at Tebay.
OP Mr Lopez 31 Mar 2017
In reply to summo:

Good call. Cheers
 climber david 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

DMM also have their carabiner breaker and drop tower, don't know if they'll have something for webbing as well?

Also try Technical Outdoor Solutions based in penrith. They recently got a pull tester which might be able to do webbing

George Fisher 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I have a small rig but it only pulls up to 20kn not enough to break webbing. It's more for smaller load batch testing. Happy to help if I can

West Moorland testing and research in Banbury have done stuff for me in the past. They have huge machines for aerospace testing but may be expensive.
 duchessofmalfi 02 Apr 2017
In reply to George Fisher:

Try the mech eng department of the nearest University
OP Mr Lopez 06 Apr 2017
In reply to George Fisher:

Uh, i hadn't checked back here for a while. Thanks for the ideas.

George, i think 20kn could do for the time being if that's ok, as is not the webbing itself i want to destroy, which weighs at 36kn on single layer, but a few stitch patterns i want to test using dyneema thread.

Thinking i could do it for 3 pass levels at 6kn, 12kn and 18kn. If it holds more than that it's a bonus and would be good to see how far it goes, but even getting past those ceilings would be ok for the time being and would give time and some background data to start planning heavier tests.

Is it ok if i send you a mail?
 johncook 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Contact the BMC tech officer. His name and e-mail address are on the BMC site. They used to have a portable pull tester they took round the area meetings one year. Good luck.
 George Fisher 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Sure. Shoot me an email.

I don't use the rig often at all. Once or twice a year but digging it out won't be a problem.

George

NottsRich 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

If you don't have any job with the ideas mentioend already, there are plenty of companies out there that would do it. Exova and Westmoreland Mechanical Testing come to mind (no affiliation!). Based on experience, a single pull test from them would be something like £50-200 depending on complexity. I suspect yours will be non-complex.
In reply to Mr Lopez:

What sort of analysis were you looking for? We can do the testing and a simple data report but if you are looking for a detailed failure analysis we don't have the time at the moment.
www.climbingwallservices.com

Nate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...