UKC

Whoops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to tspoon1981:
The mind boggles!
Jim C 01 Apr 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> The mind boggles!

Maybe she should be asked to attend ( or offered ) a navigation course before venturing out again, similar to errant car drivers are asked to take motoring skills courses, to prevent wasted time and money in the future.
 Billhook 01 Apr 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

Clearly no Mountaineer but that doesn't stop the press describing her as such. And 'Mount Dubh"? Who'd describe any thing in Scotland as 'Mount" anything?? (OK I think there's at least one but you get the point).
 The Lemming 01 Apr 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:
To this day I could not pronounce or name most of the hills that I have been on in Scotland. Call it ignorance but I can't even spell them let alone pronounce them correctly.

So I could genuinely believe that the woman stated the wrong name while in a stressful situation.
Post edited at 06:18
In reply to The Lemming:
I sort of agree, similar to here in Wales (I'm an English incomer). Repeatedly surprised by places being mentioned by natives and the name they give sounds totally different to the one I'd be using. I would, however, know if I was in the Brecon Beacons rather than Snowdonia!
In reply to Jim C:

That's actually a really good idea and it could encompass basic mountain safety as she clearly wasn't up to being out in challenging terrain on her own.
In reply to tspoon1981:

It is a TV news report; they're not renowned for their accuracy.

Why assume that 'Mount Dubh' is 'Ben Macdui'?

Why not get some basic position information from the mobile phone network? You may not be able to triangulate, by the identity of the base station actually connecting with the caller at least, would have distinguished between Glencoe and the Cairngorms.
 Snowdave 01 Apr 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

Obviously no map to give a rough description & no idea how to give a grid ref...

"I has phone for flying taxi tho!!!" so sorted....

& those taxis cost £££ to run & be diverted from more important actual emergency's than you,.. who should not have even left the car park!
 Lucy Wallace 02 Apr 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Pinging a phone like that requires sign off in a similar way to a search warrant. Takes a while to jump through a few hoops due to privacy laws.
In reply to Snoweider:

No it doesn't. Calls to 999 should already identify the location of the receiving base station, and, if triangulation is possible, the approximate position.
 summo 02 Apr 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

> No it doesn't. Calls to 999 should already identify the location of the receiving base station, and, if triangulation is possible, the approximate position.

Even if they can't triangulate precisely, you can get an approximate bearing with error cone / margin and rough distance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...