UKC

Bouldering in the Peaks with children

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 becky987 02 Apr 2017
Seeking advice for kid friendly venues I might have overlooked...

I'm zipping up to the Peaks for a few days with my children and am hoping to get out for some bouldering. We're staying with family who live 5 mins from Fox House so Burbage seems an obvious destination for us. I know the area reasonably well as I was a student in Sheffield and spent many happy an hour out with my bouldering mat at various sites! However, I'm needing to think with my mum head now so I'm seeking tips and advice regarding suitable destinations for a 7 year old. We'll have a chilled toddler (who'll want to copy his brother!!) with us so flat-ish sites are preferable. I don't mind a bit of a walk in but as I'm a single parent (yawn yawn) I'll be carrying the tot (in a sling or pack) and all our clobber.
Thanks in advance.
 deacondeacon 02 Apr 2017
In reply to becky987:

Burbage south boulders are the obvious choice in that area with nice flat landings, blocs that are easy enough for toddlers to clamber about on, and a stream nearby to play in afterwards. You can also get a pushchair along to them easily.
OP becky987 02 Apr 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:
Thanks- I'd forgotten about the stream nearby. Chilly, I'm sure, but we're a hardy lot!
In reply to becky987:
Looking at your bouldering grade on your profile, the top Boulders at Cratcliffe Tor are perfect, grassy flat landings, perfect for kids
OP becky987 02 Apr 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
Perfect, thanks. I've not updated my logbook in ages but I don't think I've changed much as having sprogs has curtailed my once frequent outings to once in a blue moon dashes!
Post edited at 10:06
 alx 02 Apr 2017
In reply to becky987:

I second Cratcliffe, it has a lovely magical quality about it, plus if you fancy something a bit harder than 6b, Razor roof next to the top Boulders is worth checking out
OP becky987 02 Apr 2017
In reply to alx: completely agree with you on Cratcliffe. Wonderful place. Thanks!
Juan_F_Contreras 08 Apr 2017
In reply to becky987:

I usually bouldering in Burbage with kids also. Let me know if you are around. Enjoy the peaks!
OP becky987 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Juan_F_Contreras:

Next time I am up, I'll give you a shout! Thanks.
 Offwidth 16 Apr 2017
In reply to becky987:
We list a lot of kids problems on our Offwidth site for future reference. One of the best places is the first boulders you meet next to the track at Burbage South. There is lots at Burbage North including a short wall near the parking at Burbage North and some of the blocks below Ash Tree Wall.

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/burbages_boulders.html

You need a browser with Flash capability.
Post edited at 10:33
 Yanis Nayu 16 Apr 2017
In reply to becky987:

Cratcliffe is good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...