UKC

Ariege Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Crisplex 02 Apr 2017
I am an englishman living in the Ariege southern France. I'm looking for people in the area to climb with. Please contact me crisplex@hotmail.com
 john arran 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Crisplex:

Welcome.
A lot of communication is via a Facebook group called Ari``ege Climbing Scene, so that's (unfortunately) the best way to stay in touch with other local climbers. If you don't do Facebook then feel free to email me with some details such as your location, grade range and contact details, and I'll post them there for you so people can get in touch directly if they wish. Adding a few more details to your profile here on UKC would help too.
Phil Payne 02 Apr 2017
In reply to john arran:

Hi John,

I'm living just west of Toulouse and looking to get back into some climbing after a long lay off. You obviously know this part of France well, so maybe you could give me some recommendations for places to go and maybe know of somewhere closer to Toulouse?

Cheers,

Phil
 john arran 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

Hi Phil
People I talk to from Toulouse seem to think the main Ari`ege climbing region is the best option for climbers living in or near the city. Apparently there are other good options to the north-east a similar distance but I haven't been that way so can't help with more details. You also have Troubat (good, but old-skool) and other crags toward Luchon. I'm not aware of anything much closer to Toulouse.
Most of the Ari`ege valley crags are centred around Tarascon in a surprisingly compact area, extending mainly as far as Foix, Mirepoix, Ax and Auzat. If you can source a copy of the Rockfax guide that will give a good overview of the climbing spots. We have some here at chezarran if you can't easily get hold of one elsewhere. There's plenty more crags not in the book though, and good new crags are being developed all the time.
 jon 02 Apr 2017
In reply to john arran:

You need one of these, è, John.
 john arran 02 Apr 2017
In reply to jon:

> You need one of these, è, John.

That's strange - all my `e's are showing perfectly on my screen. You're not using a Mac by any chance are you?
 wbo 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Crisplex: jons works for me John, yours don't. The accent is displaced in front of the e. That's on an iPad - on my android phone you're good

john arran 02 Apr 2017
In reply to wbo:

> jons works for me John, yours don't. The accent is displaced in front of the e. That's on an iPad - on my android phone you're good

knew it. bloody apple!
 jon 02 Apr 2017
In reply to john arran:

No. Ariège, for example is coming up as Ari ege, with a grave accent floating above the space. Maybe it's due to Paul's changes?
 john arran 02 Apr 2017
In reply to jon:

Is this - Ariège - any better?
 jon 02 Apr 2017
In reply to john arran:

Perfecto! What did you do?
 john arran 02 Apr 2017
In reply to jon:

Changed my keyboard from UK back to UK Extended (which it's usually set to). Must have switched it by accident earlier sometime. Weird how it still looked fine on some device browsers though. Thanks.
 Andy Say 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

There is stuff S. of Carcassonne (St Salvayre and Cardou), but from Toulouse I'd guess Ariege is still closer.
Crisplex 02 Apr 2017
In reply to john arran:

Thanks John. I do do facebook a bit so I have asked to join. I've been a few times to a crag near Saint Giron. I'm looking to get back into it again. I'm a little rusty and soft after the winter. I guess I'm a UK grade 5b.

Alex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...