UKC

Millstone rave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTanton 03 Apr 2017
All day yesterday. It ended about 6PM, then strangely quiet .
Worth avoiding Millstone if you hear it happening
 CurlyStevo 03 Apr 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:
either that or take a whistle and some white gloves

hardcore will never die!
Post edited at 14:33
 Cheese Monkey 03 Apr 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:

Avoid? Get involved!
OP PaulTanton 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Too busy climbing
 summo 03 Apr 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:

Cunning plan, telling everyone to avoid then having the place to yourself cragging.

Traditionally the ravers there and at lawrencefield have caused less disturbance, litter and damage than the average chav campers with a 4 pack and disposable bbq.
In reply to PaulTanton:

That sounds amazing. Someone invite me next time.
womblingfree 03 Apr 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:

They'd be doing it wrong if it got louder once it finished
 Simon Caldwell 03 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

> Traditionally the ravers there and at lawrencefield have caused less disturbance, litter and damage than the average chav campers with a 4 pack and disposable bbq.

Traditionally the ravers there have caused massive disturbance to anyone within hearing distance, but have also been traditionally supported by the UKC consensus for some reason.

I'll give you the litter and damage part though
 matt_chan 03 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

Sadly not always true. Some groups do make an effort to clean up. Some don't.

We walked past on Sunday morning around 11:00 when there were still around 30 / 40 people dancing. I picked up a bag full of litter just on the path in from the road (which might not all have been theirs but it was recent). There was a LOT of litter at the actual site (by the ruined explosives store).

From appearances not many were in a state where they would be doing a litter pick afterwards but I have not been back up to check.
 Shani 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Traditionally the ravers there have caused massive disturbance to anyone within hearing distance, but have also been traditionally supported by the UKC consensus for some reason.

Probably because as climbers, we know what it is like to have our activity viewed with suspicion by others, and in some cases prohibited.

What raves do is provide a perfect scenario for climbers to pay-forward with goodwill by cleaning the place up. This will enhance our reputation as a responsible group and perhaps make our activities be treated more sympathetically by landowners in the future.

Oh, and the fact that loads of us were ravers in the past also helps.

summo 03 Apr 2017
In reply to matt_chan:

I think the clean ups are done many hours after, once everyone has their senses fully restored, but yes no group is perfect, including climbers.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

and loads more weren't ravers and so know from the other side just how anti social it can be especially in the countryside
 Shani 03 Apr 2017

> and loads more weren't ravers and so know from the other side just how anti social it can be especially in the countryside

Yeah - I sympathise. Having been to raves, and having been hassled for climbing (at Rubicon) - and having been young, I can see the why people want to go out, explore and enjoy themselves - sometimes pushing the boundaries of legality and of what is tolerated.

As long as there is no damage, ideally not long term anyway, then it is perhaps best to accommodate it rather than heavy policies of control and prohibition?

I have done a fair bit of cleaning up at crags over the years - sometimes after raves, of which I was absolutely no part.
 CurlyStevo 03 Apr 2017

sounds like you are still sore you missed out on all the fun :P
 elliott92 03 Apr 2017

Dude. You're a fun sponge
 JDC 04 Apr 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:

Highlight of the day had to be when they played a techno version of Inspector Gadget as I was on the final, exposed arete of Covent Garden
 JMarkW 04 Apr 2017
In reply to elliott92:
> Dude. You're a fun sponge

Cool insult. I'm gonna be using that one.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Apr 2017
In reply to elliott92:

If that's another way of saying I like my fun not to be at other people's expense, then guilty as charged
 stuartpicken 05 Apr 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:
I'd say that next time I'd like to be there.
except a rave down the hill from a top quality crag sounds, for me, like a pretty sure fire route to being dead.
I have a lot of sympathy for people trying to take their brain to odd places while wearing funny outfits...
also, want to talk about noise pollution? Have you heard the racket that is a set of hexes from 3 miles away!? :P In canada that's considered the theme tune to the british.
Edit: Also, you sure you don't dislike it just because it's weird? Example: my brother drives corpses and bridesmaids around the center of busy towns and cities in a very slow horse and cart (he does this for a living not just because he's a sadist). he does this at midday, without shame or apology. And if those funerals don't qualify as 'fun at another's expense' i don't know what does. Yet who's going to say they shouldn't do it?

... the thing about funerals is of course a joke, if you want to say goodbye to a loved one anyway you like i will certainly not object.
Post edited at 12:26
 Mark Lloyd 05 Apr 2017
In reply to PaulTanton:

Did the nesting Ravens come on down and join the party
 Chris the Tall 05 Apr 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

>hardcore will never die

but you will

planetmarshall 05 Apr 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> hardcore will never die!

Scientifically proven : http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/hardcore-will-never-d...
 scoobydougan 05 Apr 2017

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier in Stationary Village?

JMarkW 05 Apr 2017
In reply to scoobydougan:

> Are you sure you wouldn't be happier in Stationary Village?

Now that is funny.
 mountainbagger 05 Apr 2017
In reply to elliott92:

> Dude. You're a fun sponge

And a mood hoover
 Simon Caldwell 06 Apr 2017

I'm too old to have heard of it, but after looking it up, yes that looks more like my sort of place.

Do you promise not to hold a rave there?
 CurlyStevo 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

you know the score - hardcore
XXXX 06 Apr 2017

Stationery surely?
 Lankyman 06 Apr 2017
In reply to XXXX:

When I was a kid back in about 1975 (BC) some retard had scratched 'Heart & Soul' onto a school desk. Not long afterwards this was corrected to 'Heart & Heavy Metal'. The benefit of a proper education which the youth of today will never know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...