UKC

Sore nipples

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 03 Apr 2017
Has anyone got suggestions for the best way to avoid joggers nipple? I went out yesterday, got nice and sweaty and now my nips really hurt. A quick google sunests either plasters/nip guards or bodyglide. What works best for folks?
 yorkshireman 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

I just find get running tops that don't rub so much - its hard to say what works and what doesn't - just trial and error really.

I put those little tiny round plasters on each nipple when running ultras, but for most other stuff I think I've just got used to it.

I also find that wearing a running pack helps because it keeps your top from moving around so much.

tony 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Sticking plasters for me
 mbh 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Like yorkshireman said - find the tops that rub least. I find Under Armour ones are best, but I can't think why.

Plasters are fine if they don't fall off, but most do. The brightly coloured ones from Tiger work best for me.
 r0b 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Micropore tape
 steelbru 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

I find compression tops best, as they don't really move, so are not rubbing back and forward over the nips. Short sleeve ones in summer, and long sleeve in winter.

But as said above, it only affects me on long runs, and I'm normally wearing a vest hydration pack which prevents most movement of baselayer.

On a warm day, when doing a marathon with just a club vest, then micropore tape.
 Stig 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Yeah, like others said. Some tops just rub: I've got an addidas vest that chafes but my Ronhill club vest doesn't.

Ran a marathon yesterday and used a liberal smear of Vaseline which worked a treat.

If it's cold(or an ultra type event) then a tight fitting thermal under a looser t-shirt also works well.

I use chamois cream for my legs in longer races

DaveHK 03 Apr 2017
In reply to r0b:

> Micropore tape

Just don't use finger tape. Unless that is you want to perform an amateur nipplectomy when you try to remove the tape.

Yes, I speak from experience.
 Dave B 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Mefix tape.

Stronger retention than micropore, but less so than finger tape. Slight stretch to it. Designed to fix dressings to soon, so works well for this job.

Can really stay on several days if required.

Cheap and economic.

Buy a roll, have it for several years.

SouthernSteve 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Lubricants like body glide work quite well with synthetic tops, but for longer/colder runs Merino has been very safe for me.
 wbo 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep: I've always been pretty happy with vaseline, applied generously

Rampikino 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Tape

Two layers of clothing is also handy but as it gets warmer that's no good, so tape-em!

Run_Ross_Run 03 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Glide, every time.

Use it on feet to prevent blisters and use it on the chamois when out on the bike.
 lummox 04 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Vaseline for runs from now until October for me..
OP the sheep 04 Apr 2017
Cheers All,

Weirdly not had a problem all through winter (only started in November). May well be that my under layers are nicer than the short sleeved top I wore. Its a tight Lycra type one i have used for cycling without issue. Will try one of the under tops next time and if that fails go with the bandages. I do sweat a lot so probably not helping matters!

Pete Houghton 04 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Pour 200ml or so of olive oil into a jam jar with two heaped tablespoons each of dried camomile flowers and calendula, and one heaped spoon of marshmallow root. Leave in the airing cupboard or near the boiler for six weeks, shaking it about every now and then.
Strain the oil through a fine sieve and then a coffee filter or a cone of kitchen paper into a Bain Marie with an equal weight of shea butter, and heat gently until rendered together. Pour into a jar, allow to cool, and then rub liberally on those chapped nips.
 oaktree 04 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

come on num num,where are you!
Removed User 04 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

> not had a problem all through winter

That might be a factor; with me, anything more than a little dampness from sweat (or rain) brings on chafing - or outright bleeding. Tops off once it gets above 10-15°C is the answer.
 freeflyer 04 Apr 2017
In reply to r0b:

> Micropore tape

+1. No significant problems removing it, I only need it for more than 15k with a light top.
Removed User 04 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Broad climbing tape and use something like e45 once a day
 Loughan 05 Apr 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> Just don't use finger tape. Unless that is you want to perform an amateur nipplectomy when you try to remove the tape.Yes, I speak from experience.

Just put some tape back to back over where your nip is so it sticks above & below and gentle in the middle. nice.
 fmck 05 Apr 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Two polystyrene cups works well.
OP the sheep 20 Apr 2017
Thanks all for the suggestions, so far micropore seems to have done the trick. Done 3 x 10km's in the last week which is a fair bit for me with no issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...