UKC

Recommend us an Alpine location for quiet, scenic big days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 04 Apr 2017
A friend and I are thinking of heading to the Alps for a week in August. In terms of what we're looking for, fairly technically easy beautiful big mountain days well away from the crowds would be ideal. We're both substantially better winter climbers than on rock so, if going for a long multipitch, I'd want to stick to severe. In fact long scrambles would probably be substantially more fun! Glaciers, huts, icy couloirs, decent wine and appropriately priced beer all welcome. As is lift access!

So, any thoughts as to where to base ourselves and route recommendations?
S3.K1 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

All countries of the Alps will have summer holldays in August. Find a location, pristine and in solitude but with good facilities and with favourable prices seems to be an ambitious endeavour.
 andyfallsoff 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Probably more vague a suggestion than you're looking for (and it isn't even first hand, I've never been) but I've been looking at Georgia which might meet some of those criteria. Should be cheap, wine producing country, i hear the food is good - and i imagine far less crowded than central European alps. Would need to look more specifically at routes etc but could be worth a quick look?
 d80f0u 04 Apr 2017
In reply to andyfallsoff:

The article in the current Summit magazine is a decent starting point re. Georgia
 Trangia 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Have you considered the Pyrenees? They tend to be a lot quieter than the Alps, although as has been said the August holiday period is about the worst time anywhere. Also there is an increased risk of thunderstorms in August. The Gavarnie area can get busy, but the western end of the chain, eg AspeValley/Cirque de Lescun, can be a lot quieter and has some beautiful mountains. Unlikely to be snow there in August but some good scrambling. No lifts I'm afraid - but that's an asset because it keeps the crowds away! Great high wild camping near mountain tarns.

Corsica is also beautiful and relatively quiet away from the GR20. Magnificent granite mountain scenery, lots of good scrambling, but snow unlikely in August, although the same comment concerning thunderstorms.

Off topic, but how refreshing it was to see you open your post with "A friend and I...." rather than the UKC's usual "Me and my friend"
OP Tricadam 04 Apr 2017
In reply to S3.K1:

Certainly doesn't have to be pristine or really off the beaten track. Just less crowded than the Chamonix classics.
 Jasonic 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Ecrins- no cable cars but possibly better for it!

This is a good outing: Plenty of people on Biacograt though-

http://www.cosleyhouston.com/5-day-biancograt.htm
 andyfallsoff 04 Apr 2017
In reply to d80f0u:

That'll be where I saw it - I knew I had the idea from reading something, ta!
 Simon4 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Jasonic:

The Engandine is certainly a lovely place to be, with Alpine routes, great upland walking in side valleys. Not sure about technical rock, as I have never looked for it.

The Ecrins is very good too, and certainly cheaper than anywhere in CH. Can be pretty dehydratingly hot in August though.
OP Tricadam 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon4:

Simon and Jason - thanks for the Ecrins recommendation. Is it the sort of place where there's snow up high at that time of year? Would be fun to have some of that!
OP Tricadam 04 Apr 2017
Anyone got any thoughts about Arolla?
OP Tricadam 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Jasonic:

Apologies: just seen the picture from your Biancograt link. Snow snow snow! Fab!
 earlsdonwhu 04 Apr 2017
In reply to andyfallsoff:

Have recently ski toured in Georgia and it meets many criteria but my information suggests that many areas are heaving with Russian and E. European walkers and trekkers in summer. It may be an area relatively off our radar but not so for them. Still a great destination.
 Pina 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Arolla is nice and has quite a good range of things. Unlikely to be quiet at that time of year but there'll be less brits and it won't be as bad as Chamonix.

Another good option for rock routes is the Furka. Beautiful granite minus (to some event) the crowds. Popular with the Germans last time I was there.
 Simon4 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

The Bernina massif are genuine high Alpine mountains, so have perpetual snow. A bijou range, but definitely full-on mountains.

What condition it is in of course varies, as it does everywhere, depending on weather, temperature, slope-aspect, etc.
 Iain Thow 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Loved the Gran Paradiso area myself. The standard route up the Paradiso is busy but nowhere else is. Several better routes on the GP (N Ridge, NW Face, SE Face, all deserted), the Grivola is a superb mountain and there are several other good peaks such as the Ciarforon (good NFace) and the Herbetet. The place is stunningly beautiful and Val Savarenche is a good base. Much better weather than Cham. Not big on lifts though.
OP Tricadam 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Iain Thow:

Iain, that sounds like a goer! Is there a decent English-language guidebook for the area?
 MG 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

There is nothing recent published in English for alpine routes. I wrote some notes to all the main peaks in the GP area a while ago - PM me if interested.

Also note the (fine) E Ridge of Herbetet has collapsed at the start, which makes it dangerous/hard to begin nowadays.
 Iain Thow 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

There's a good trekking guide from Cicerone which will have the approaches and valley info, and a very ancient out of print Alpine guide from West Col. The latter was pretty out of date even in the 90s. We followed our noses a lot of the time. There are obviously good guides in Italian, including a "100 Best Routes..."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...