UKC

How tight do you have your running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 handofgod 04 Apr 2017
Hi all,

I recently bought a new pair of running shoes from Runners Needs.
The chap in the shop was very helpful and patient and was more than happy for me to try on every neutral shoe they had in stock in my size.
I ended up going for a Nike shoe which was defiantly not one I would have considered prior.

While in the store, the chap assisting me show me a new technique for tying the shoes where you create a loop through the top eyelet and then thread opposite lace through and tie.
I told him tying the shoe this way was way to tight for my feet and explained I preferred a looser fit as I had experienced really bad shin splints a few years back when I was tying my old Asics really tight.

My question is; how tight do you have your running shoes and is there any correlation between have a tight shoe and shin splints?

Thanks
Ste Brom 04 Apr 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Tight shoes = shinnys in my experience.
Tie them using the Lydiard method.
OP handofgod 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

Thanks Ste Brom.
By shinnys do you mean shin splints?
Please can you send me a link for the Lydiard method?

Ste Brom 04 Apr 2017
In reply to handofgod:

https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques

(aka parallel lacing)
What? I'll come round and do em for ya if ya like!
OP handofgod 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

thanks mate

did you find this helped you with shin splints and lower leg pain?
Ste Brom 04 Apr 2017
In reply to handofgod:

It helped with pain on the front i.e; tibialis anterior. I'm working off the assumption that since its origin is on the medial cuneiform, an area that is firmly ensconced within the shoe, pressure from the said shoe would exert an effect on limiting its range of movement. Freeing it by having a looser lace and looser socks seemed to help me. Not suffered again.

Then the posterior shin splints kicked in, but then that's a different story for a different day...
JMGLondon 05 Apr 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I run in the adios which are known to have a narrower fit. I never do them up tight, but do tend to opt for a slightly snug fit as i hate having too much space in the toe box. This does end up in the occasional black toe nail!

Anyway, i never tighten the laces super tight.
 tjin 05 Apr 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I like them loose and big. Normal size is 42, climbing shoes 40.5, running shoes 44.
 r0b 05 Apr 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Just tight enough so your feet don't slide around in the shoes, if the shoes fit well this shouldn't be that tight
 stubbed 05 Apr 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I use that loop method, I like my shoes nice and tight. Usually have to loosen them in order to drive or walk or whatever.
 Ridge 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

> https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques(aka parallel lacing)What? I'll come round and do em for ya if ya like!

I'm going to spend the evening trying these rather than do the jobs list Mrs Ridge has left me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...