UKC

Snow is there any?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 04 Apr 2017
I'm fancying a bit of backpacking next week 3-4 day trip. My daughter wants to use fell shoes rather than heavy boots which would be OK if snow can be avoided. Thinking of Central Highlands/Mamores/maybe Knoydart or further North. Probably not the Cairngorms though.

Has anybody any recent experience of the amount of snow on the ridges and whether the snow is at a stage where it can largely be avoided for walking routes? Really hard to get an idea from my web searching but thing are looking fairly bare from what I can see.

Over to you...
 kwoods 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Siward:

http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams/

http://www.visitfortwilliam.co.uk/about-ben-nevis-in-fort-william-and-ben-n...
Can say from experience over the past week or so it's become severely depleted.
 Rob Parsons 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Siward:

> ... things are looking fairly bare from what I can see.

They are. You won't need big boots.
 DaveHK 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Siward:

I ran over the Mamores in trainers 2 weekends ago and didn't need crampons although the snow was soft at the time. There might still be the odd big patch but they should be avoidable. The NW looks pretty much bare from friends photos and SAIS blogs.
 kwoods 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Siward:

I've been out in trainers myself too - just like summer.
 OwenM 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Siward:

Was out in the Monadhliath/Creag Meagaidh area over the weekend. Only patches of snow about which you can easily walk around. Looking further north looked about the same.
 Jim Lancs 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Siward:

The closing remarks on the Countryfile long range weather forecast was along the lines of "don't get too used to the spring weather, as there could be a return to winter next week", said against the backdrop of a very wintery photo.
OP Siward 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Usual Scotland then. Will put gear for all eventualities in the boot...

Thanks all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...