UKC

Do people go climbing in/near Hereford?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattilda 04 Apr 2017
Slightly depressed, am moving to Hereford and it seems rather flat and a long way from anywhere with pointy rocky hills. Could someone cheer me up by telling me how great it is to be close to the Brecon Beacons and Symonds Yat or similar please?

(To summarise, what is good locally which I might otherwise miss please?)
Clauso 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Mattilda:

It may be flatish but, apparently, Hereford doesn't suffer many problems with yob violence in pubs. Can't think why.
 Rob Exile Ward 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Mattilda:

It's not the BEST place for a climber, tbh ... it's better than Ipswich though, does that help?

Walking is good, Beacons and the Black Mountains < 1 hour away, and the whole of mid-Wales and Shropshire are similar driving times. If you want cragging you're 1.5/2 hours away from Wye Valley, Avon Gorge etc; there's also esoterica like Malvern, Pontesford , LLanymenach and Elan valley but the Peak District it ain't.

There's definitely NO bouldering, which all right thinking people would see as a positive.
 NathanP 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Mattilda:

Pretty good for the Wye Valley and 3 hours to Pembroke or Snowdonia so they are OK for a weekend. All the surrounding area is nice for walking and generally enjoying the countryside. Could be a lot worse: I once worked in Peterborough...
 Sam W 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

If you're on the south side of Hereford then the Wye Valley is very doable for a day out. Despite the Wye Valley's slightly mixed reputation, I'm a big fan. Short routes, long routes, sport, trad, loads of options. There's also some bouldering at the top end of the Wye Valley which is even closer to Hereford, although definitely heading towards esoteric.

I'm in Ludlow (half an hour north of Hereford) and while it's not the best place to be a climber (particularly when small kids restrict full days out), there's definitely worse places to be.
 luke glaister 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Mattilda:

From Hereford I can get to the yat in 40 mins. Wynd cliff. Wintours leap and tinturn abbey car park for shorn cliff in an hour. Pembroke is 2h30. North Wales and stanage 3h. I travel to all of them just for a day if the weather is right. U just got to want it enough.
Luke.
 Run_Ross_Run 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Mattilda:

'Depressed'? You will be when you try and drive around Hereford at rush hour, oh and 2hours either side of that.

If you are on the outskirts and don't need to drive into town/opposite side then it's an OK place.
 joeldering 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Mattilda:

The Boulder Barn is my favourite Hereford wall, should be a good place to find some partners. The Send is a cool wall too.
 ballsac 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Mattilda:

theres a vigourous climbing/mountaineering scene in Hereford - a big moustache and duvet jacket will help you fit in but aren't really required.

its a nice place to live - bar the traffic - using a push bike will cure that though, its a small city.

Symonds Yat 40 mins away, similar for the Black Mountains. there are a great many worse places to live in the UK for the outddoor enthusiast.

oh, and take up canoeing. another big scene...
OP Mattilda 05 Apr 2017
In reply to ballsac:

Awesome, Have a 'wing commander' stick on tache and down jacket stuck together with gaffer tape, am sure will meet someone down at the wall.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...