UKC

Harness comfort question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Conley 05 Apr 2017
I was just wondering if I should ease my aching back out of bed when I started thinking whether a more comfortable harness might be a welcome purchase?

It would be more for sport climbing - hanging around and taking a few falls etc. I'm normally using it 2 or 3 days a week and generally take a couple of falls each session.

My lower back is particularly sore today - was out yesterday and took 3 or 4 falls plus some hanging around and a lot of belaying involving holding the rope tight as my partner was working something.

I currently use a Mammut Togir slide 3, mainly because it was cheap from Go Outdoors. im wondering whether it's worth springing for an arcteryx or dmm model with a wider waistband for spreading the load better? Do people find these work well or are lower back troubles only a problem when you're way past 50?
 Scott K 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Conley:

Most shops have a facility for hanging in the harness when you try it. Try a few before you buy. I have an Arcteryx which is very comfortable but I do find the leg loops dig in a bit after a while hanging about or holding a partner tight.
 Jenny C 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Conley:

As Scott says any decent climbing shop will have the facility for you to hang in the harness to see how it feels/fits. Body shape and fit are what you need to focus on and that inevitably means trying loads to find the one which suits you best.

I have tried wide waist banded harnesses which were downright painful to wear as the stiffened "padding" which was supposed to support me just dug into my ribs and the small of my back the back. This is especially a problem if you are at the limit of the harnesses sizing and have the lumbar support located over one kidney, rather than central in your back (I really like DMMs floating waistband system which removes this problem).
 Bezz 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Conley:

I've had a Petzl Calidris for a number of years. It's got a large waist pad which is super comfy. I think it's designed for big walls, total overkill for sport/indoor but extremely comfortable
 bouldery bits 05 Apr 2017
OP Bob Conley 11 Apr 2017
Thanks for the replies. I managed to try a Black Diamond Solution which bit generally good reviews but I ended up hanging in quite an uncomfortable position and the leg loops started to cut in. I'm a bit loathe to order anything on line in case it ends up feeling worse than my present one - which isn't actually too bad. I can try a DMm later this week but no Arc'teryx or Petzl stockists nearby, so I'll hang on till I can visit somewhere that actually sells them.

spenser 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Conley:

Don't discount Edelrid harnesses, I tried on various Arc'teryx and Petzl harnesses (and was replacing a DMM harness) but eventually decided the Edelrid Orion was the best bet for me.
 oldie 12 Apr 2017
In reply to spenser:

Likewise tried on several harnesses from various manufacturers and was surprised to find Edeldrid Atmostphere most comfortable to hang in.
 Reach>Talent 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Conley:

I have one of these:

http://mistymountain.com/shop/climbing/climbing-harnesses/cadillac/

More comfortable than a comfortable thing to hang in but probably hard to find in the UK. Try on as many harnesses as possible because there is a fair bit of variation in fit and more padding doesn't always mean more comfort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...