UKC

Another Helvellyn Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wheezy 05 Apr 2017
Dear Forum
New member here - apologies if I get the etiquette wrong - I'm aware of the current Helvellyn thread, but have a separate question which I'd rather not get lost in that thread.
Background - now in my 50's but used to walk and climb a fair bit in teens and twenties (when KS100e fabric was considered revolutionary and gortex the work of a magician) before work and kids distracted me.
I'm going back to the Lakes for the first time in 30 years - so I expect a few changes, especially since my memory will pay tricks on me.
Anyway, - what I'm struggling with is where to start from to walk the edges of Helvellyn - I seem to remember parking in Patterdale - but the web suggests a pay and display car park in Glenridding.
Suggestions gratefully received.

PS - I did a training walk up Pen Y Fan a few weeks ago - who's increased it's height by about 1000ft in the last 30 years? To all you young bu88ers - enjoy your youth, make the most of every opportunity whilst you have the energy, strength and time.
PPS Found my old kit - My old Whillans harness seems to have shrunk - I can't get it round me anymore!
 tony 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Wheezy:

> Anyway, - what I'm struggling with is where to start from to walk the edges of Helvellyn - I seem to remember parking in Patterdale - but the web suggests a pay and display car park in Glenridding. Suggestions gratefully received.

Where you start depends on a bit on which route you want to go up. The 'standard' route does start at the big pay-and-display car park in Glenridding, to take you clockwise up and along Striding Edge, across the summit plateau and down via Swirral Edge, rejoining the outward route at the Hole in the Wall marked on the 25k map. This route is often very busy, with queues on Striding Edge - there's an astonishing photo somewhere showing a long line of people on Striding Edge, which looks like my idea of a nightmare.

However, parking at Patterdale could give you a different route up Grisedale to Grisedale Tarn, then north to Dollywaggon Pike and then on to Nethermost Pike and Helvellyn. I've never done this route, but I suspect it's a lot less crowded than the Striding Edge route.

Or, you could park at Patterdale and walk to Glenridding - there's a path beside the road, so you're not dodging cars all the way.

And, welcome back to hill-walking!
 wercat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Wheezy:

There is an honesty box at the sport field in Patterdale with a suggested donation. I suppose this is safer midweek when there is no sport. That would allow the route via Grisedale Tarn or to take the long steady path up to the Hole in the Wall which is one of the quicker ways to reach Striding Edge compared with a Glenridding departure.

I prefer the ways up from the W (Thirlmere) side, particularly Wythburn but they are not the natural way to do the Edges.
Wheezy 05 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

I think it was the steady path to Hole in the Wall I was recalling - would I be right in thinking there's a pub car park that you can walk out of the back of and onto that route?
Given the popularity of the edges (long queues may be needed to catch my breath - but not really what I want) I may consider alternatives walks. It's revisiting old memories for me, and striding edge (especially in snow one year) is still a fond memory - if a little faded.
Maybe Pavey Ark (not Jack's Rake) - or is that a tourist rat run too now?
 wercat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Wheezy:

there is a car park a little further away, nearer the "city centre" ; it might belong to the Hotel I think. The best way to do the Edges without crowds is an early start, usually works for me.

I like Jack's Rake, but again it's best early as the crowds on the path up to the tarn later in the day would make it purgatory. Far nicer to skip gaily down past the sweaty hordes still ascending...
Wheezy 05 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

Early start is the plan - down for lunch! (Maybe a late lunch) So I might still go for the Helvellyn.
Is there a starting point you can recommend for the path from Patterdale to Hole in the Wall
 wercat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Wheezy:

I'd go for the sports pitch (not far up the little lane beside the outdoor centre entry that you'd take for St Sunday Crag) parking as the proceeds go to the local community.
 GrahamD 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Wheezy:

Contrary to other recommendations on here (which are all good options) I'd head for Glenridding if it were my first visit in a while. Its marginally the easiest walk in and easiest to link a loop (rather than there and back) round Swirral without adding extra distance.

4 years or so back there was a lovely cafe in the Glenridding car park.

Early start always good.
 blurty 06 Apr 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> Contrary to other recommendations on here (which are all good options) I'd head for Glenridding

Yes, if one goes 'off peak' the trade route is a great walk
Wheezy 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Wheezy:

An Update:
Thank you to everyone's advice.
Managed an early start and went up from Glenridding. As I said earlier my first time back in the Lakes for 30 years; the pavement makers have been busy!
Allowing for now being overweight and unfit the initial pull up to Birkhouse Moor was longer and steeper than I remembered. My quads were complaining - not helped by the fact we'd walked Scafell Pike the day before. The edges were lovely - managed to walk both in solitude too.
Blessed with fine weather (cloud on the peaks only) and that my old damaged knee stood up up to it all.

Great to be back!
Wheezy
 wercat 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Wheezy:

excellent - an experience like that can be a kind of rebirth after a long gap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...