UKC

Ticks are out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 05 Apr 2017
Just a word of warning, the ticks are back out in force. Found a couple after a short walk in the Highlands on Saturday. I don't usually attract them. I thought it was far too early for them and we'd have a month or so more before they and the midges were back out, but I was wrong. I guess the mild winter might have something to do with it.
In reply to NottsRich:

There were quite a few over on Mull during that scorching weekend. I was quite surprised to find them.
 Michael Gordon 05 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Unfortunately ticks it seems have a longer season than midges. I do expect them to be out sooner, the buggers!
 Scomuir 05 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Ticks are a risk all year. Once above a certain temperature (think it's 7 degrees, but could well be wrong), ticks become active. I found a tick crawling on my leg at new year near Gairloch - it had been mild.
 Tom F Harding 05 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

I've been down to Goblin Combe (Somerset) a couple of times over the last week and had to remove 13 of the little buggers.
 climberchristy 05 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Tick found at Curbar the other day as well. Like others I was surprised to see them so soon
 Sandstonier 05 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
Snowdonia is infested with them.
 AdrianC 05 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Does anybody know where & when these things turned up? I climbed in Snowdonia, the Peak, northern England (and Goblin Combe) for years in the 80s & 90s and never heard of a tick. Went away for a few years & whenever I come back now the little head-burying buggers are everywhere. How did this happen?
 jezb1 05 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Had one crawling on me at Tremadog today
 Michael Hood 05 Apr 2017
In reply to AdrianC: Agree, however I've still not found one - maybe I'm not getting out enough.

pneame 05 Apr 2017
In reply to AdrianC:

Global warming, innit?

I don't think I'd have ever gone outside. I hate things draining my blood - midges, mozzies, ticks all the way up to doctors and vampires
 TobyA 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Scomuir:

> I found a tick crawling on my leg at new year near Gairloch - it had been mild.

We did a quick visit to Jetty Crag last August and that evening I found lots on me. Left very paranoid after that! It seemed a particularly bad spot for them round there.
 Colin Moody 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

As Scomuir wrote they are about all year in the west of Scotland.

It was different in the 70s and 80s when we had harsh winters, I didn't worry about them then but now know how dangerous they are.
 Dr.S at work 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Colin Moody:

And widespread use of OP pesticides? Lots of ticks in Sweden and they have cold winters...
 Colin Moody 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Ticks active in cold winters? When there were cold winters here the ticks had a season.

I don't think there is much pesticide use here (Isle of Mull) except sheep dip.

One theory about increased number of ticks at Polldubh is because they removed the sheep which were treated with sheep dip.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Apr 2017
In reply to AdrianC:

> Does anybody know where & when these things turned up?

When sheep dip was banned (due to killing farmers or something similarly trivial)
 Red Rover 06 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Is Lymes disease spreading in the UK? The ticks could end up being the most dangerous part of climbing!

I'm suprised they're turning up in places like the Peak and other non-mountain and forest areas, I thought they were just a thing in Scotland where the deer are. My dog got one in a city center park!
 Adam Long 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> When sheep dip was banned (due to killing farmers or something similarly trivial)

I think it's more likely related to the huge increase in the deer population over the same period.

In reply to Adam Long:

It's probably a mixture of things. Ticks are also increasing in areas with insignificant deer populations.
 Adam Long 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Agreed. Which areas are those?

After climbing Point 5 on the Ben last week I stopped for a leak and was rather alarmed to find one attached to my johnson. Almost took the shine off the day I can tell you. Warmer winters cannot be helping matters.
In reply to Adam Long:

The North York Moors for instance.
 More-On 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Red Rover:

Yes - I got it last June on a trip that included the Lakes, the Ben and Skye. Got bitten on the walk in to the Ben, but don't know if it was that tick or another I didn't spot as they were everywhere...
 Rob Parsons 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Adam Long:

F*cking hell.

'Man Bitten On Penis By Tick Whilst Climbing Famous Scottish ice Route'

Time to emigrate ...
OP NottsRich 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Red Rover:
> Is Lymes disease spreading in the UK? The ticks could end up being the most dangerous part of climbing!

As far as I know, yes it is. Of course it might be that it's better reported/understood, but I don't think so. Regardless, I'm treating it more carefully now than I was before.

I don't mind leeches, spiders, snakes etc. Infact when I've been bitten by leeches it's quite interesting to watch for a bit, before removing it. But I absoutely fecking hate ticks.

If I ever develop an allergy to red meat I know what to blame. That's scary!
Post edited at 12:22
 Tony the Blade 07 Apr 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

> Just a word of warning, the ticks are back out in force.

Not yet seen any in the New Forest - which means my clients will be covered in them this weekend now I've said that!

A useful page on ticks and their removal here... http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...