UKC

Remote mountain locations in N.Wales?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sim.monkey 05 Apr 2017
Hi all

I am wondering if anyone could suggest a really good quality and remote (longish walk in) bouldering area in N.Wales please? Would like something (s) 'ard there too. Looking for a different experience to the usual.

Thanks in advance

Sim
 spenser 05 Apr 2017
In reply to sim.monkey:

This maybe:
http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=408
Only other information I can find about it is here:
youtube.com/watch?v=8FSuicUL_dM&
Probably something else on the eastern edge of the Carnedds that's a bit more remote than that but I don't tend to go bouldering in Wales.
 declantate 22 Apr 2017
In reply to sim.monkey:

Carreg Mianog? not been personally but could be a shout, depends how 'ard you want and how much you want

all i know is you get there using the utility road off the a5 in the ogwen valley, very steep walk and longish like explained

Carreg Mianog Boulders
 phizz4 22 Apr 2017
In reply to sim.monkey:

There is scope for a huge amount of bouldering in the Rhinogs.
In reply to declantate:

Might be good to know what the OP considers remote.

Mianog's still not really remote by Hillwalking standards - about 10 mins moderately steep walk up a tarmacked road, then another 10 across flattish hillside, so only 20mins from the A5.

The other Carneddau ones are similar timings from the road:
Crafnant bouldering#overview
Afon Lloer Boulders#maps
and
Caseg Boulder#overview
(although this one is about 1km closer to the road than the UKC map suggests).

There's also one more remote f7c route at Ysgolion Duon (Black Ladders)#maps

Pawthos 22 Apr 2017
In reply to sim.monkey:

Nantmor is fairly remote from the road (about 30 mins). I never see anyone there.
 SAF 22 Apr 2017
In reply to sim.monkey:

My understanding is that Mark likes weird locations for bouldering!!
http://hoseyb.blogspot.co.uk/
 Dave Williams 22 Apr 2017
In reply to phizz4:

> There is scope for a huge amount of bouldering in the Rhinogs.

Yes, very true, although the landings are often a bit, er, hostile and most is purposely undocumented. There's bouldering here: Clegyrau Graig Isaf but it's not that remote. This might be better from a remoteness POV: Mynydd Cwm-mynach The landings are friendly too. There's actually a much better area that's still being developed (so not yet on UKC - or indeed anywhere), a couple of miles away, which is equally remote .... but also with good landings.

This area is very good, but hardly remote: Bala Boulders Not far away from Llanuwchlyn, to the west, is Rhobell Fawr. Its relatively remote and extremely rocky eastern and southern slopes might fit the bill. You could end up wandering around these hillsides with a mat for days on end.

But for both full-on remoteness and top quality, this area is comparable to the very best in Snowdonia Pumlumon Boulders The rock is a sublime gritstone. The only drawback is that it isn't in, er, North Wales. Go there; you won't see a soul and it's a place where the slopers, slaps and crimps are refreshingly chalk free. There's even a topo guide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...