UKC

Danny Macaskill on a motorbike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 07 Apr 2017
Naughty boy. Against the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.

http://road.cc/content/news/220476-video-danny-macaskill-back-riding-mounta...
 malky_c 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Denni:

I was wondering when somebody would start a thread on this - too lazy to do it myself!

From what I've seen in the past, trials bikes seem to be pretty low impact, and a certain amount of this sort of thing goes on without most people noticing. Is isn't really sustainable in larger numbers though, so the last thing we need is someone influential like Danny sticking a video up online. I've seen the mess and racket made by massive numbers of quad bikers and scramblers (slightly different thing, I know) in parts of the Brecon Beacons - don't think I'd like to see that becoming more widespread.
 Dax H 07 Apr 2017
In reply to malky_c:

Exactly my thoughts, a skilled rider running very low pressure tyres does little to no damage, probably less than a pair of hiking boots.

The problem here is someone in the public eye doing it will increase the numbers who think it's normal practice, greater numbers increases the amount of low skilled people who will get stuck and churn up the ground trying to un stick.
 Andy Hardy 07 Apr 2017
In reply to malky_c:

> [...]. Is isn't really sustainable in larger numbers though, so the last thing we need is someone influential like Danny sticking a video up online. I've seen the mess and racket made by massive numbers of quad bikers and scramblers [...] in parts of the Brecon Beacons - don't think I'd like to see that becoming more widespread.

http://www.ssdt.org/about-the-scottish-six-days-trial/about-the-ssdt-genera...

GrahamD 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Denni:

Disappointed, I think, is the word.
 malky_c 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I said low key. You'd be surprised how many walkers and climbers in the highlands are instinctively against any kind of motorised access to the hills, but aren't even aware that this happens.
 Jim Fraser 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Denni:
People get pretty upset about trials bike on hills but in many parts of the Highlands, and Lochaber is the low-speed-wheelie capital of the UK, this has been normal for locals for many many decades.

It's a bit like the North 500. What's the big deal? We've been doing this stuff since forever: "Better keep quiet about this or their'll be mayhem." Well now somebody is marketing it and some folk in Durness think it IS mayhem. Probably is by the normal rate of Durness traffic flow.

The North 500 of course is being marketed and merchandised on the basis of its potential to help grow the economy. The problem is that if Police Scotland make us all stick to 60/50/40 mph in the NW there won't be any economy and you'll not get a slice of bread in Durness until it's stale.

I know guys who have been doing stuff like this for 40 years and barely left a mark. Now that Danny has put it out there in a video, ... eh, mayhem.
Post edited at 18:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...