UKC

Van Dossing friendly crags in the uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Pierce 07 Apr 2017
Its been a very long time since i climbed in the UK over 35 years and in those days me and my mates dossed all over the place ranging from caves, park benches , beneath overhangs , bus stops , barns and bivi bags , public toilets etc

Later this summer i will be going to the UK with my van and i would like top know what are the most van dossing friendly places to climb without being hassled from rangers and police and private land owners etc.

Any recommendations from anyone would be very much appreciated.
 d_b 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

Avon Gorge would be an easy one. Layby under the main area, car park under Sea Walls, parking on Circular Road at the top...

Of course if you park on Circular Road everyone will assume you are a dogger
 Jon Stewart 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

If you want to go somewhere nice, then the Lakes is great. Up on the passes (Wrynose, Hardnot, etc) there are beautiful dossing spots and great crags (Black Crag for one). Wasdale has some of the country's finest laybys.
Removed User 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

Hobson Moor Quarry is the UK's premier spot in this regard.
 Jon Stewart 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

Worth noting that while it's not good for dossing, the camping in Pembroke (Bosherston) is very very basic and cheap, and it's probably the best, most reliable climbing in the UK.
 d_b 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

The Pass of Ballater would probably fit. There were a couple of vans in the car park last time I climbed there.
 GrahamD 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

I remember kipping in parking areas above Carn Gowla before now. I've also used the car park at Worth Matravers for Swanage but out of season - I suspect its patrolled in the holidays.
 Dr Toph 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

Anywhere in Scotland (with the possible exception of Limekilns and Dumby)
Elsewhere...
The parking above Bosigran was chilled for vans when I was there last. Nice spot by the old mine buildings.
Most places in Llanberis Pass have been fine for me, although roadside. I imagine the Dinorwig bus stop parking would also be no problem for the slate.
OP Alan Pierce 07 Apr 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

hahaha if any nice women turn up i might become one
 Chris Harris 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

Castle Inn Quarry. Belay from the van.
Lusk 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Alan Pierce:

I wouldn't park up at Aldery Cliff, you'll probably get carted away and sold for scrap by the 'Do as he pleases, Vigilante'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...