UKC

Rock Climbing for my Daughter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bigalxyz 07 Apr 2017

Hello forum,

Hoping someone can help. It's my daughter's 18th birthday next week. She's up near Kendal in Cumbria and I'm wondering if I might be able to find her a place on a day or half a day's rock climbing course. She's done quite a bit of indoor "bouldering" stuff before but I don't think has ever done it outside. Also she has some learning difficulties and can be anxious, although seems not to get worried at all when climbing - surprisingly confident (given some of the other difficulties she has) and really seems to like it, not scared of heights, etc.

I wondered if there might be somewhere I could take her eg in the Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District for a "taster" day/half day, something for beginners, nothing too intensive, good instruction, etc. I've got no expertise myself so I'm hoping there's somewhere with instructors etc. to help. (might have a go myself if my shoulder injury clears up!).

Does anyone have any suggestions please of where to go, what to do, etc.? Probably next Wed/Thu.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks!
Alan.
Post edited at 13:25
 jayjackson 07 Apr 2017
In reply to bigalxyz:

Have a look the the Mountain Training Association or Association of Mountaineering Instructors websites - both have "find an instructor" functions that you can filter by area and activity.

Graeme Hill (link below) is a Mountaineering Instructor with a huge amount of experience in accessible activities and enabling participation in climbing.

https://cms.tahdah.me/profile/index/20686
 slab_happy 07 Apr 2017
In reply to bigalxyz:

I'm sure there are tonnes of suitable guides and courses in the area, and really almost all of them seem to offer a day or half day outdoor "taster" option, and are happy to arrange something for one or two people. So you're going to be spoilt for choice.

But off the top of my head, I know Mandy Glanvill is based in Cumbria -- I've climbed with her in the Pinnacle Club and done her self-rescue workshop, and she's lovely, very sensible and steady (and I say this as someone who can be on the anxious side myself):

http://womenrock.co.uk (despite the link title, she does take mixed groups so it's not a problem if you're not a woman! *g*)

http://womenrock.co.uk/control.php?page=activityDetails&activity=taster...

> Probably next Wed/Thu.

A suggestion: if you can't arrange something at short notice, how about giving your daughter a "voucher" for it, like a card and a written promise that you'll arrange a day/half day for you and her to go on an outdoor taster session together at a time that suits her?

Also, I just wanted to say what a lovely and thoughtful idea it is, and that I hope your daughter has a great birthday.
 Mark Eddy 07 Apr 2017
In reply to bigalxyz:

Hi Alan,
We'd be delighted to help with this and have availability for next week.
Based in Ambleside and offer rock climbing throughout the Lakes and beyond.
Sessions are bespoke.
Our website gives more information and prices: www.mountain-journeys.co.uk

Please get in touch anytime.
Thanks
Mark
bigalxyz 08 Apr 2017
In reply to bigalxyz:

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll give it some thought over the next couple of days and perhaps make some enquiries. I'll check with my daughter first as well to see if she's "up for it" (she tends to get upset by surprises - they make her anxious - so it's probably best that I talk to her before I plan anything in detail).

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...