UKC

The BMC and the IFSC / Flosports debacle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 08 Apr 2017
Given the fact that the BMC is the UK's representative within the IFSC and given the unanimous condemnation by British Climbers on the Flosport contract I'm perturbed by the silence of the BMC on this issue. It's now been several days and they've said nothing.

It leaves me wondering are the BMC taking an active role against this by fighting on the inside? Why have they not issued a statement? The Austrian federation were very quick to respond. Does their silence imply they support the Flosport contract? Were they even involved in making that decision in the first place?
 toad 08 Apr 2017
In reply to stp:
I fear the BMC has something else to concern itself with currently, that might be preventing it from being more proactive in other areas.
Alex Messenger, BMC 08 Apr 2017
In reply to stp:

The BMC wasn't involved in the Flosport deal.

Rob Adie (BMC competitions officer) put his views direct to the IFSC: that it was a bad idea as it potentially reduced the number of people watching the competitions and the GB Climbing Team.

It's included in our article about the competition this weekend:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/livestream-ifsc-2017-boulder-world-cup-meiringen

And covered on our social media, where we've been updating people with the latest info:

https://www.facebook.com/BritishMountaineeringCouncil/

https://twitter.com/team_bmc

Any updates will be posted on there. If you're after any more specific info, the best thing would be to email Rob direct.
OP stp 08 Apr 2017
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

Thanks for the quick response Alex and that's good to know.

I saw the article on the BMC website - it's more that's it was neither critical nor positive. It just reported the change. I see it's now been updated to reflect the change back to Youtube free streaming in a positive way: "Good news: it looks like it will be streamed to YouTube as normal by the IFSC."

I did look for BMC social media but couldn't find links from the BMC web site. It's not easy to find if you don't which platform/s to search or what nickname you're searching for.
OP stp 08 Apr 2017
In reply to toad:

Don't know about that. There seemed to be zero confidence in the motion of no confidence when I last looked.
 slab_happy 08 Apr 2017
In reply to stp:

It's been pointed out that "threads on UKC" involve a tiny and very unrepresentative sample of the BMC membership. So assuming from a look on UKC or UKB that everyone's against the MONC and there's no need to worry is very dangerous.

It also seems as if Bob Pettigrew and co. have been doing a fair bit of soliciting votes "behind closed doors", in club forums and so on (which are not so exposed to public fact-checking).

At the Peak area meeting, Dave Turnbull gave the impression that dealing with the MONC is currently consuming pretty much everyone's time, and that they're all extremely stressed and worried.
 johncook 08 Apr 2017
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

Not exactly a gripping response from the BMC. More like a statement of what has happened. A bit 'sit on the fence' and try not to upset the IFSC hierarchy! Have some guts, speak out, even if only in a personal position!
OP stp 08 Apr 2017
In reply to slab_happy:

Interesting but UKC, as the most popular climbing website, is surely more representative than anywhere else? The sense I got was was an overwhelming rejection of MONC, which is very different to it simply being a majority opinion. Last time I looked UKB was the same.

> Dave Turnbull gave the impression that dealing with the MONC is currently consuming pretty much everyone's time, and that they're all extremely stressed and worried.

That's a great shame. I'd have hoped that Bob Pettigrew and co. would have f*$ked off by now seeing as how they've completely failed to put a coherent case together. I suppose they're driven by the fact they can't admit they're wrong. They've failed to persuade any of UKC of their arguments which has to be a bad starting point.
 Ian W 08 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

Various of us have; the coaches and myself asked Rob to express our "displeasure" in Meiringen. Which he did. I have posted on various threads regarding the flosports debacle, in, i might add, 3 languages (get me.....) both here and on facebook.

So, we 've done it the British way......told those involved quietly, but didnt splash it all over the place!

But, just in case.......any deal to sell the rights to a 3rd party for profit was never going to be a good idea. The idea is lousy, the timing worse. We are against it.
 Andy Say 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Ian W:

So how does the ISFC work? Presumably if the Brits and Austrians were against there must have been plenty of countries in favour of the contract?
 slab_happy 09 Apr 2017
In reply to stp:

> Interesting but UKC, as the most popular climbing website, is surely more representative than anywhere else?

Well, it's probably more representative than any other UK climbing website, but there are (I gather) a lot of people who climb and are BMC members, but don't necessarily spend much (if any) time on internet forums.

> That's a great shame.

Yup.
 Ian W 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

I dont think many knew about it in advance! Other againsts i saw were the Slovenians, Germans, Spanish and various French team members.
I am not aware of it being mentioned at their recent plenary assembly (I wasnt there, but we did have someone there), and presumably if it was mentioned, then it would have come out via at least one of the national federations. All very odd.
 AlanLittle 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Ian W:

> So, we've done it the British way......told those involved quietly, but didn't splash it all over the place!

So you & Graeme are dropping oblique hints at cocktail parties, while the BMC's gunboat cruises ostentatiously on the Brienzersee?

Jolly good show.

Andy Say 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Ian W:

> I dont think many knew about it in advance! Other againsts i saw were the Slovenians, Germans, Spanish and various French team members.I am not aware of it being mentioned at their recent plenary assembly (I wasnt there, but we did have someone there), and presumably if it was mentioned, then it would have come out via at least one of the national federations. All very odd.

So, looking at the UKC news reports this might just be the ISFC's very own 'Climb Britain' moment

Maybe they need a governance review.......
 Ian W 09 Apr 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Cocktail parties - some chance
 Ian W 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

I know what you mean!

Maybe a governance review is a boit over the top, but they surely need to think long and hard how they get into these things (broadcast contracts etc). I think some expert advice would be needed.
Not their finest hour; a bit chastening I think, and maybe a good lesson learned before getting into bed with other organisations leading up to the olympics.........
 Greasy Prusiks 09 Apr 2017
In reply to stp:

They're only quiet because they're planning on selling the rights to a dramatisation of the MONC.

You heard it here first.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...