UKC

Where first near Scafell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chambers 08 Apr 2017
Yo! Starting a plum new job very near to Scafell Pike next week. It's not a part of the Lake District that I've ever been familiar with, so where should I go climbing on my days off? I'm climbing at VS when I solo. Any recommendations will be valued. (Unless they are patently stoopid!)
 Mark Kemball 08 Apr 2017
In reply to Chambers:

Well, I've not done much there either, but if the weather is good, I'd be heading for Scafell Crag, Boteril's has been on my wish list for 40+ years. One of these days...
 Michael Gordon 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Chambers:

Napes Crag? Plenty of lower grade stuff for soloing, just watch out for the more polished bits.
 Tom the tall 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Chambers:

When you say very near Scafell Pike, which valley will you be based in? Will make a big difference to ease of access to crags.
 stewart murray 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Chambers:
If you're near to Wasdale and Eskdale there's plenty to go at. Buckbarrow is the main valley crag in Wasdale - Witch is a good VS as is Pacemaker. There's a couple of decent severes on Overbeck. As mentioned the Napes has plenty to keep you going - recommend the ridges - Arrowhead Ridge and Needle Ridge (VD) and Eagles Nest Ridge (VS - technically straightforward but graded for spaced protection so ideal for soloing!)

Pikes Crag has some good, long routes in the VD - Severe range, especially Grooved Arrete. The climbs here get any sun going so can be dry when Scafell is wet.

I wouldn't head straight for Scafell if soloing. It's big, serious and climbs take a while to come into condition. You say you're climbing VS when you solo, but there's a world of difference between soling VS at Stanage and VS on Scafell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...