UKC

Ailefroide, France sportclimbing guidebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Which guidebook is recommended for single and multi pitch sports/mixed climbing in and around Ailefroide? We are planning a week trip in June and I struggle to find the crag lists from the websites of the French publishers. Also, any suggestions on fantastic routes in the lower grades is most welcome.
 AlanLittle 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Dorte:

There was a really good guidebook available in the shops in the village when I was there in 2013. Can't remember what it was called though as my mate bought it and I haven't seen it since.

Great place, loved it.
 IanMcC 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Dorte:
Escalates Autour D'ailefroide by Jean Michel Cambon available locally.
There's also a selective area guide whose name escapes me.
I've been a few times. It's great. My favourite easier routes La Cocarde, Little Palavar, Cascade Blues.
Some photos of easy multipitch here :-
http://scottishoutdoorstuff.weebly.com/blog/archives/08-2013

Post edited at 22:39
In reply to IanMcC:

thanks for sharing, this looks great!
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

The link seems not to work. Do you mean the title by Yann Roland?
In reply to Dorte:

Hi Dorte

the Ailefroide area is covered in a few guidebooks

1)the Cambon guide Ian mentions above this is the guide that is just for Ailefoide.
2)Briancon climbs (by Roland) this guide is the sports climbing book to the durance valley area, it covers all the single pitch and multi pitch sports route over 3300 across 5 different rock types, and has a chapter on Ailefroide including most of the single and multi pitch sports routes there.
3) Oisans nouveau Oisans Sauvage livre est this is alpine rock guidebook and covers all the big alpine rock type routes on this side of the Ecrins and covers all the multi pitch at Ailefoide.

if you are staying in Ailefroide and just want to climb there the top one is probably best, but if you fancy a day out of the valley or off the granite or up in the mountains the other ones will give you more choice, there is also a bouldering guide to Ailefroide if you are in to that.

I live 25 min's from Ailefroide and happy to help with any advice about the area or climbing
you can drop me a line at rob@dream-trails.com or on here

cheers Rob

In reply to ecrinscollective:
Thanks for your comprensive answer! Much appreciated.

And a bit more specific, the bolted granite (or gabbro?) slabs that people rave about, where would I find those?
Post edited at 16:49
 IanMcC 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Dorte:

All of the easier routes could be described as bolted granite slabs
In reply to IanMcC:

i just can't wait!!
In reply to Dorte:

finding granite slabs at Aliefroide is not hard, you arrive in the town and all around you are big granite wall's most of the routes are slabs, what sort of grade are you looking for?

cheers
In reply to ecrinscollective:

We are looking for 5a to 6bs -with an occtional 6c.
Sounds like we have plenty to do !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...