UKC

Northern England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coinneach 10 Apr 2017
Great photo . . . . From our " Northern England " correspondent . . . .fuksake!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/09/birmingham-woman-standing-i...
 summo 10 Apr 2017
In reply to coinneach:

I agree to suggest Brum is northern England shows that the guardian does revolve around London.
 wintertree 10 Apr 2017
In reply to coinneach:

The fewer people who find out about the actual North, the better...

If you partition the country into north and south based on equal populations, I'm guessing the line falls a bit north of Birmingham.
Post edited at 07:37
 Tom Valentine 10 Apr 2017
In reply to wintertree:

My mate says Cockneys start at Meadowhall.....
 Andy Hardy 10 Apr 2017
In reply to coinneach:

Maybe the northern England correspondent was passing by Birmingham on his way from Carlisle to London?
 Stichtplate 10 Apr 2017
In reply to coinneach:

If only she had offered him a can of Pepsi...
 graeme jackson 10 Apr 2017
In reply to wintertree:

> The fewer people who find out about the actual North, the better...If you partition the country into north and south based on equal populations, I'm guessing the line falls a bit north of Birmingham.

If you partition England into 3 equal parts from the lizard to Marshall meadows (cos brum is in the midlands), the north starts just north of Ripon. Still far too far south to be considered the real north which obviously starts at the tyne.
 Stichtplate 10 Apr 2017
In reply to graeme jackson:
> If you partition England into 3 equal parts from the lizard to Marshall meadows (cos brum is in the midlands), the north starts just north of Ripon. Still far too far south to be considered the real north which obviously starts at the tyne.

No no no! The real North.. that is the heartland of English culture, science, industry and most importantly, fine ale, clearly doesn't extend to include the barbarians north of the Tyne!

I note the Guardian recognising this with its forthcoming decision to pull out of the provinces and relocate to its Manchester roots.
Post edited at 14:03
 wercat 10 Apr 2017
In reply to graeme jackson:

The Pennines belong to Northern England. All of them.
 Dave Garnett 10 Apr 2017
In reply to coinneach:

> Great photo . . . . From our " Northern England " correspondent . . . .fuksake!https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/09/birmingham-woman-standing-i...

I'm a bit torn about our bit of the Staffordshire/Cheshire border. It's obviously ridiculous to call it the North, and yet to admit it's the Midlands would mean that I've never managed to escape my origins.

That photo, though, that's a real enigmatic Mona Lisa smile. It's quizzical, it's amused, it's a bit condescending - what it's not is intimidated or afraid.
 The New NickB 10 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:
> I agree to suggest Brum is northern England shows that the guardian does revolve around London.

Which of course they haven't done, they have however used a North of England reporter (based in Manchester) to cover a Birmingham story. The Guardian has very strong links to Manchester, orginally being the Manchester Guardian and has a team of journalists based in the city. Birmingham stories that are covered by staff journalists are presumably covered by either London or Manchester based journalists. The sub-editor should have spotted that using the journalists job title would look odd, even if it is technically correct.
Post edited at 16:56
XXXX 10 Apr 2017
In reply to coinneach:

I'd suggest the centre of gravity of shoulder occupying potato based dinner accompaniments is much, much further north than Birmingham.

The New NickB 10 Apr 2017
In reply to XXXX:

> I'd suggest the centre of gravity of shoulder occupying potato based dinner accompaniments is much, much further north than Birmingham.

On these threads, it's usually the Gatwick area.
XXXX 10 Apr 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

That's a coincidence, that's right where I am now... oh
 Dax H 10 Apr 2017
In reply to coinneach:

Once Scotland gets independence and Yorkshire and Cumbria petition to join them Birmingham can be classed as the north.
In reply to coinneach:

My plumber, who is a local man by birth and not well travelled, believes that the north starts at Temple Cloud.

For all that his geographical experience may be limited, he is a good plumber.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...