UKC

cycling physio/bike fitting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 10 Apr 2017
Morning,

The last few times out on my road bike I've been getting a niggling pain in my neck/very top of my back - not sure which vertabra, I'm not that sort of doctor. Seems to me to be joint pain rather than muscle, but on Saturday it was painful to straighten up again after being on the bike for so long.

Can anyone recommend a physio who understands bikes, and maybe can even do a bike fitting with that in mind.

In Sheffield would be preferable.

Any ideas?

GTE
 LG-Mark 12 Apr 2017
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Difficult to say without more info, but i'd suggest you may be too stretched out and you may be therefore holding your head up too high.
Perhaps try raising your bars slightly and/or using a shorter stem.

A good "rule of thumb" as a starting point is that if you're riding holding the drops, then from your natural eye position look down at the front hub, it should be obscured by the top of the bars. If some part of the hub can be seen behind the bars then you may be too stretched out.
I stress that this is merely a starting point though as everyone is different.
 malk 12 Apr 2017
In reply to LG-Mark:

or too much drop? i've had neck issues with wearing specs and too big a drop. maybe there are some dennis taylor type specs for cyclists if GT is a spec wearer?
 kevin stephens 12 Apr 2017
Another cause can be handle bars too wide, hands should be in line with shoulders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...