UKC

Driving License & Debit card

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My other half pointed out to me today that she keeps her driving license in a wallet with a Debit Card and asked if that was wise?
What is the UKC wisdom on this?
PS I then realised that I do the same.
 BnB 10 Apr 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Why do you need to carry your driving license at all?
 wintertree 10 Apr 2017

It's all right, I asked my cryptozoologist and she said they're not cross-fertile.
Post edited at 11:06
 climbEdclimb 10 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

I suppose it is the only form of ID we have available (bar a passport) as we don’t have national ID cards etc.
For me I carry both, although looking like a 14 year old means I have more occasions to use my driving license for ID...
 skog 10 Apr 2017
My debit card hates my driving license, I have to keep my credit card between them to stop them fighting.
Post edited at 11:28
 Big Ger 10 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Why do you need to carry your driving license at all?

Over here you can be fined for driving without your license on you.

I know that doesn't mean you have to carry it everywhere, you could leave it in the car, but is that wise?
 Tony Jones 10 Apr 2017

Five out of six posts have mentioned a driving license. 'License' is a verb, as in, you need to be licensed to drive. The plastic thing you carry in your wallet (next to your debit card) is a driving licence.

I feel better for getting that off my chest although I appreciate that being a grammar pedant is about as popular as being a remainer in some circles. Go easy on me!

Deadeye 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Tony Jones:

There's no noun that cannot be verbed
 BnB 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> There's no noun that cannot be verbed

Gerunded, surely?

Tony Jones 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> There's no noun that cannot be verbed

Unfortunately true.

But this would make the verb 'licence' rather than the noun 'license', would it not?

Trangia 10 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

It's a useful convenient form of id eg collecting a parcel from the Post Office, delivery depot etc.

Although rare, if you are involved in a motoring incident and the police ask to see it, it's a faff if you don't have it and have to then go to a Police Station to produce it within 7 days. Although I don't know if with their being able to check it electronically, they still can request this?
Post edited at 12:16
 DancingOnRock 10 Apr 2017

My driving licence has my photo on it. It's not a very useful ID for someone else.
 graeme jackson 10 Apr 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> My driving licence has my photo on it. It's not a very useful ID for someone else.

That's not what your identical twin says.
 krikoman 10 Apr 2017

I just last week travelled to a large motor manufacturing site to do some work for another company.

They wanted Government photo ID, which I presume means driving licence or passport.

My driving licence is the old paper sort, I know I'm old, old and careful (it's starting to disintegrate but at present it's still holding together as one piece).

I have my driving licence in my passport, and some other photo cards for various safety organisations and other sites I work on. No combination was good enough for the bloke on the gate.

So that leaves me having to take my passport next time which I don't really fancy, I like to keep that for holidays, where I know it's safe!

Is there owt else I could use?

Just looked on their web site and there's no mention of what's required to gain access.
 Toerag 10 Apr 2017

Back to the OP - What systems require a combo of driving licence details (name, address) and bank account details? I don't know any. Theoretically someone obtaining your license could use the details on it to produce a fake ID with their photo on. This would then allow them to do things in your name. I don't think they could empty your bank account as you normally need to use your pin at the cashier's counter these days.
 bigbobbyking 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Toerag:

I think someone could use it to buy stuff online, as they know what the correct billing address is as well as your card details. I still carry my driving license around as I'm still asked for ID to buy alcohol often enough that not having it is a pain...
I've almost never carried my driving licence personally. Only a handful of occasions over 40 yrs when I knew I would need it. Mine is still the paper version so even less need to carry as in recent years it's been useless in the times I've need ID, since it's not been accepted as evidence of ID without photo, and I've had to go and get my passport.

A BTW story .. Once I did have it and was stopped by Police; he was taken aback that it was the paper version and went on, in what seemed like a lecture, to tell me I had it folded wrong and that there was a correct way to fold it so they could read it without taking it out of its plastic wallet. Slow day at work I presume!!
Thanks for all your comments both entertaining and useful - the idea of bits of plastic warring with each other in my wallet was very amusing.
The dodgy situation I envisaged was a lost/stolen card being used to make big purchases online before I could cancel the card. With a card & invoice address goods can be sent elsewhere from a newly set up account.
The point about having to present it to a police officer is interesting. Having been stopped a couple of times without my licence (Spelling lesson - thank you) quite a while back I went through the laborious process of 'producing' my documents at a very slow desk. As far as I can see nowadays the police have all your details at their disposal when they stop you so carrying it for that reason may now be unnecessary.
It is useful for picking up goods at the Post Office but I would be at home when I found that out so could pick it up before going.
So on balance I think I will leave the driving licence at home from now on.
 Neil Williams 10 Apr 2017
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Protected against by the vast majority of online retailers now using Verified by Visa etc i.e. the online password thing.
 Dax H 10 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

I carry mine all the time, some sites I go to require photo id, anytime I have been stopped by the police they always ask for it (to be honest I would like to see photo id mandatory for driving).
Id for parcel collection.
Id for a hire car (very useful when I broke down in Scotland and no recovery company could get me home that night so I hired a car and my bike was brought back the next day)

Anyway on to the OP.
My license, credit card, debit card, work credit card all live together in my wallet. Never worried about it.
abseil 10 Apr 2017

> My other half pointed out to me today that she keeps her driving license in a wallet with a Debit Card and asked if that was wise? What is the UKC wisdom on this?....

I always carry my driving licence - because I use it regularly as ID for various things.

I also carry a debit card with it. Up till today I never worried about that - but I'm worried now
 Brass Nipples 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Toerag:

They will have your full name, home address, your date of birth, and your debit card. A good start I'd say.

XXXX 11 Apr 2017

Do people really worry about this? Honestly? Really? I'm gobsmacked.
 BnB 11 Apr 2017
In reply to XXXX:

> Do people really worry about this? Honestly? Really? I'm gobsmacked.

Identity theft is increasing at an alarming rate and causes horrendous inconvenience at its mildest, complete catastrophe at worst. Certainly a pain far greater than having to visit the cop shop a day later because your licence was at home instead of in your wallet. Despite the various reasons quoted upthread, none of which are daily requirements for me, I can't think why you'd habitually carry it unless, like my offspring, you need to prove you're over 18,
 DancingOnRock 11 Apr 2017
In reply to XXXX:
> Do people really worry about this? Honestly? Really? I'm gobsmacked.

Me too.

Why would anyone need your bank card to open a fraudulent account at your address?

Anyone opening a bank account cannot use it until they've received a latter sent to their home address.

Anyone getting things delivered somewhere other than their card's registered address is pretty well protected by current anti fraud measures.

I think some people have an over active imagination.

Your name and address are pretty freely available in many places.

Post edited at 08:35
 marsbar 11 Apr 2017

Personally I'd be more concerned that many people keep their house keys in their bag with the driving licence. So if someone pinches your bag they have your house keys and your address.

I don't carry my driving licence because I used to work with young offenders and I didn't want them to know where I lived.

> With a card & invoice address goods can be sent elsewhere from a newly set up account.

Credit and debit transactions must be sent to the cardholder's address. Sent anywhere else, it's at the vendor's risk. That's why many online vendors (especially small ones) won't send to anywhere other than the registered address, or maybe only after the account has been 'verified' by delivering to the registered address.
 Blue Straggler 12 Apr 2017

I have two or three times in the past 18 years lost or had stolen my wallet containing all sorts of debit and credit cards and driving licence.
Each time it was reported as soon as I was sure it was gone, but there was usually at least 12 hours of "wallet missing" time.
Never been spoofed/cloned/defrauded yet.

This is only a single example based upon one individual's experience though. But that is my contribution to your requested "UKC wisdom".

What is the point of your question in the OP? If enough UKC posters say "nothing to worry about", will you 100% not worry? What about the posters who report bad experiences? How will you balance one side against the other in the process of deciding whether to order your other half to separate their licence and debit card?

Are you, in fact, The Lemming?
 Blue Straggler 12 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

It is useful when collecting rental cars.
 Bob Kemp 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Dax H:

I've lost my driving licence (again), which didn't worry me too much until the other month when I wasn't allowed to take out a car to test on my own without it.

I was stopped by the police for a routine check last year and when I couldn't produce my licence they just asked me for other ID (I had bank cards) and checked online.
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Hi there - I am not The Lemming
I posted to see if there were any fraudulent possibilities that I hadn't considered and so far nothing new has come up. However on balance I have decided that I don't need to carry the licence so will leave it at home. If I do lose my wallet it is one less thing to replace.
Thanks to all who posted.
PS I would never 'order' my other half about anything!
PPS The only times I need ID nowadays are to get Senior Citizen rates. My bus pass does that.
Post edited at 16:30
 neilh 12 Apr 2017

How often do you do that, and if you do it regularly you will have it preagreed anyway so that you do not need to show it.
 IanMcC 12 Apr 2017

Are you still going to keep the ten shilling note in your wallet in case of emergencies?
In reply to IanMcC:
I can assure you that that note has been there for a very long time and will remain so until it has attained collector's value. The moth balls seem to preserve it quite well. I will also keep my Clive Ramsay loyalty card in there for when I infrequently buy the coffees.
Post edited at 21:52
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Credit and debit transactions must be sent to the cardholder's address. Sent anywhere else, it's at the vendor's risk. That's why many online vendors (especially small ones) won't send to anywhere other than the registered address, or maybe only after the account has been 'verified' by delivering to the registered address.

I often have stuff sent to my work address...
 BnB 13 Apr 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> I often have stuff sent to my work address...

I ONLY EVER have stuff sent to work since my house is impossible to locate if you don't know the neighbourhood. Rarely had a problem.
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

So do I.

But it is at the vendor's risk, in the event that the order proves fraudulent.
 Blue Straggler 26 Apr 2017
In reply to neilh:

> How often do you do that, and if you do it regularly you will have it preagreed anyway so that you do not need to show it.

On average once a fortnight pre-booked Vd and they ask to see it every time. Maybe there is a way UBS this as a regular customer but I never felt a need to find a way around it as I always have my license with me
 Blue Straggler 26 Apr 2017

Sorry about all the typos, there is something badly wrong with the touchscreen on my phone. "Vd" shouldn't be there. "UBS" should be "around" (!). And "license" should be "licence" :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...