UKC

Bivi advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edmonio 10 Apr 2017
Hi all after a little bit of advice .. looking to go to chamonix , end of June and it seems the hut we were planning on staying in is already full ( even though booking hasn't officially opened assuming Local guides have booked in advance for clients etc .). Looking like we are going to have to bivi out somewhere .Having never Bivied out in the alps just after some general advice ..aside from Bivi bag , sleeping bag and other camp essentials is it worth taking a light weight shovel to dig a pit ?? Or do most make use of their adze ? Ps advice on any camp spots on the gouter route would be appreciated .. ideally above the gouter ridge .. prefer not to have quite as long 2nd day . Thanks in advance .. ps know there are better routes up so not after route advice etc ..
 Pbob 10 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:

Take something to cover your eyes to help you sleep.

They don't like it when you dig a snow hole on the ridge behind the hut because that's where the choppers land.

Don't eat the yellow snow.
 ianstevens 10 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:

> Hi all after a little bit of advice .. looking to go to chamonix , end of June and it seems the hut we were planning on staying in is already full ( even though booking hasn't officially opened assuming Local guides have booked in advance for clients etc .). Looking like we are going to have to bivi out somewhere .Having never Bivied out in the alps just after some general advice ..aside from Bivi bag , sleeping bag and other camp essentials is it worth taking a light weight shovel to dig a pit ?? Or do most make use of their adze ? Ps advice on any camp spots on the gouter route would be appreciated .. ideally above the gouter ridge .. prefer not to have quite as long 2nd day . Thanks in advance .. ps know there are better routes up so not after route advice etc ..

It's illegal to camp anywhere that isn't outside the Tete Rousse hut isn't it?
In reply to edmonio:

I think bivying is accepted at altitude when between sunset and sunrise. Camping is not.
http://www.chamoniarde.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/reglementationcamping...
 timjones 11 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:

When we used to go out in peak season we found that our campsite warden had the contacts to get beds booked at very short notice.
 El_Dave_H 11 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:

Which hut, out of interest?
 msp1987 11 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:

Hi. The Gouter Hut only opened for public bookings today if thats any use to you. I booked a night for September.
 Babika 11 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:

I would stay in the Tete Rousse in preference to carrying bivi gear (I managed it, so it can't be too horrific).

Or bivi at the Tete Rousse and stash your gear there? Couldn't imagine carting a sleeping bag, mat, cooking gear all the way up - but then I'm a bit weak and feeble.
OP edmonio 11 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:
Was trying to get a spot in the gouter .. looked at the booking site to see everything looking booked fo the time I wanted to go assumed that a company had booked most of the beds .. anyway after a bit of patience .. managed to get a night booked .. quite pleased about it too ., Pretty sure it's going to be a grim experience anyway .. but didn't fancy going from lower down .. just hope the weathers on my side ????????.. thanks for all your responses .
 nutme 12 Apr 2017
In reply to edmonio:
> Was trying to get a spot in the gouter ..

New Gouter hut is very nice actually. Food is good and beds are spacious.

Day before or even on the day some people cancel and places become available.

On the day itself you can arrive to the hut and put your name on waiting list. At 4PM (or is it 5PM?) warden will release all beds booked but not checked in and will allocate them to people on waiting list.
If still unlucky you can ask to sleep in gear room or dinning. Subject to mood of the warden and your French skills. They will charge you full price even for gear room.
Post edited at 09:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...