UKC

cheap action camera recommendation please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 11 Apr 2017
Camera tech changes all the time and what kit was available last year has been superceded or is no longer available.

With all that in mind I'd appreciate recommendations for a cheap action camera for video work.

It's for a mate who does not want to pay GoPro prices.

Cheers muchly.
 nniff 11 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
Not the cheap Vivitar go-pro look-alike. It's crap. c.£45 from PC World down the drain.. There's another at c.£85, but I wouldn't bank on it being much better. Apart from the camera's many shortcomings, the various mounts seem to have been designed by someone who had never seen either a bicycle or a helmet before but reckoned he could manage a mount. He was wrong. All I wanted was a basic camera for a commute. Complete sodding waste of money.

Hope that helps, so that some good may come from my purchase

For those interested in such things, it has a wierd characteristic whereby, for example, a bus lane white line changes apparent dimensions as it moves across the lens. Similarly, objects bend and flex. It's most disturbing to watch. Still, you can make out the basic sequence of events, but the ability to read a number plate on a moving object is down to luck.
Post edited at 14:19
 ChrisJD 11 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I thought you had a Mobius at one point?
In reply to The Lemming:

I Got a OLFI for work and have been really happy with it, easy to use, good features and a uk company.

I shot this a week or so ago
vimeo.com/212269571

and this a month or so ago
vimeo.com/205069202
In reply to The Lemming:
Xaomi Yi Action Cam. I have the old one. Nothing special - 1080p / 720 60fps, 16Mp, It was about £60.
But that OLFI badmarnot linked to looks hard to beat.
Post edited at 20:34
 HeMa 11 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Mobius is the smallest cheap one. And can be had for peanuts.

Xiaomi Yi (non 4K) version is almost as good as the Hero 4s, but a lot cheaper.

For 4K, MokaCam seems rather nice.

I have them all (and old Hero 2), and prefer the Mobius and Moka for vid. Mainly use the Yi for timelapse stuff.
OP The Lemming 11 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks for the suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Cheers
 ChrisJD 12 Apr 2017
In reply to ecrinscollective:

the OLFI 4K camera looks damn fine for £150. Like the tall flat form factor as well.

Not heard of OLFi before - so cheers

The widescreen 4K looks a bit of a fudge though - interpolated from 4:3 4k?
DanielChavez 15 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Maybe look at something from SJCAM. They have the SJ6 Legend and SJ7 Star action cameras that are looking super cool.
 koolkat 16 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

sports pursuit has the tom tom camera at a good price it also gets good reviews

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...