UKC

When I retire...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 11 Apr 2017

In between walking in to climb great, but remote, neglected, routes, I am going to devote myself to jumping on all the "stuck nut/stuck cam" threads, retrieving the gear and sending it back to the owner with a tube of smarties.

That is all.
Post edited at 22:39
 johncook 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

I am retired, and find there are never enough hours in a day to do all that I want to get done. And that doesn't even include chores and visiting relatives and shopping!
Deadeye 11 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:
Do you have a medical condition? The NHS process makes it a great alternative to work!
Post edited at 22:22
 bouldery bits 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

I love Smarties
 Big Ger 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

I retire in 7 months, I will want nothing to do with other people's nuts when I do.

But having 11 very decent crags within 40 mins walk of the house may mean I "acquire" a few by default.
 johncook 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Just old! 67 and a bit, the bits are important!
 brianjcooper 11 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

I don't know how I'd find the time for UKC trawling if I wasn't retired!
 johncook 11 Apr 2017
In reply to brianjcooper:
It gives me something to do while my cocoa is cooling!

Jim C 12 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

Me too, it's been a month retired, and I have hardly made a dent in my own DIY chores on my 100+ year old house, I have also been working all day sometimes until,the early hours, on a new house for my last daughter to fly the nest, my elderly FIL also has an old house needing jobs done,, and I have another two daughters each with their own houses, and their own lists.

if I dedicate a year to these, I might get more time next year, or if I take the summer off, it will take longer.
The dream of having free time is not here just yet, please tell me it gets better

brianjcooper 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Sounds like you'll finally get into the 'always engaged' Bathroom again too.
 brianjcooper 12 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

> Just old!

See my profile statement: If you think you are old, then you are!
 French Erick 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

At least you'll get the opportunity...not entirely sure I will. More a case of dying at work due to a 14 years old doing once more the same stupid remarks about "chat" or "piscine" being funny. Brain will not take it, heart will try to pick up the slack and explode. I think I am due retirement at 68 and because I have been buying out the last 2 years for the last 2 years!
 johncook 12 Apr 2017

I don't feel old, I don't act old, and I don't believe I am old. There are many people much younger the me who are 'older'.
Close friends suggest a mental age of about 13. Last medical exam said 'apparent' physical age about 50.
I look back on what I have done and can only say "How the hell have I managed to survive for so many years" I don't regret any of my actions, although I would probably make a different decision if they appeared now. I am a happy little bunny who derides himself for not being able to climb like a 25 year old. I am actually better!
 Duncan Bourne 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Nice idea. My retirement workload has already built up to a full time occupation. Draw stuff, write book, produce CD/MP3 of songs, organise local events, catagorise and fully archive family history stuff. No time for decorating.
 bonebag 12 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

Exactly. Just the same for me too. Never enough time. Maybe I'm just old and slow now. Still it's good to have too much to do. Rather that than clock watching.
 Big Ger 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> Nice idea. My retirement workload has already built up to a full time occupation. Draw stuff, write book, produce CD/MP3 of songs, organise local events, catagorise and fully archive family history stuff. No time for decorating.

Inspirational mate, inspirational.

Just 7 fecking months to get through....
 buzby 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

My employer is running retirement seminars for folk like me over 50. I was asked about my retirement plan, I said I just need a big enough lump sum to buy a campervan and a dog. he didn't look impressed.
 Timmd 12 Apr 2017

> See my profile statement: If you think you are old, then you are!

That's the approach my Dad (in his early 70's) takes. My Mum did too, she'd often wonder at people 20 years her junior talking about feeling their age. 'I've never had time to feel old'

BnB 13 Apr 2017
In reply to buzby:

> My employer is running retirement seminars for folk like me over 50. I was asked about my retirement plan, I said I just need a big enough lump sum to buy a campervan and a dog. he didn't look impressed.

He was just jealous. For most, retirement is far more complicated.
 Big Ger 13 Apr 2017
In reply to buzby:

> My employer is running retirement seminars for folk like me over 50. I was asked about my retirement plan, I said I just need a big enough lump sum to buy a campervan and a dog. he didn't look impressed.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=662094
 Michael Hood 13 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:
> Close friends suggest a mental age of about 13.

My wife and (adult) kids get my mental age by adding the digits together. In a couple of years I'm going to regress from 14 to 6

Just reseen that you already appear to be using this rule.
Post edited at 08:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...