UKC

Why doesn't Ben Nevis have a No. 1 Gully?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 12 Apr 2017
Well?

Unless good reason can be found otherwise I propose Point 5 is renamed No. 1 Gully to better harmonise the naming system to what would be a more aesthetically pleasing sequence of integers.
 Grahame N 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Tower Gully was originally named No. 1 Gully, but for some unknown reason (to me) a long time ago its name was changed.
I would be interested to know why.
 m dunn 12 Apr 2017

Observatory Gully is Number 1 Gully.
 planetmarshall 12 Apr 2017

There is, but the entrance is hidden. Rumour has it that if you find it, it leads directly into Andy Nisbet's head.
 Mark Bannan 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Grahame N:

I thought Gardyloo Gully was the original No. 1 Gully.
 hpil 12 Apr 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

you have to run at it, shouting, and believing that it will open for you. It doesn't work for muggles.
 pebbles 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Mark Bannan:
sounds more like a number two gully to me
 kwoods 12 Apr 2017
In reply to pebbles:

Ba dum tsch
 Nathan Adam 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Mark Bannan:

I think Gardyloo was originally called Tin Can Shoot or something like that, because it was used to drop rubbish down from the old Observatory. At least that's what my little book I had about the Observatory told me, but I can't find it to back that up so I may be talking total rubbish!

Observatory Gully into Tower would make most sense in my mind as no.1 Gully on the Ben.
 Michael Gordon 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Grahame N:

I imagine because Tower Gully is a better name
 JimR 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Nath93:
> I think Gardyloo was originally called Tin Can Shoot or something like that, because it was used to drop rubbish down from the old Observatory. At least that's what my little book I had about the Observatory told me, but I can't find it to back that up so I may be talking total rubbish!Observatory Gully into Tower would make most sense in my mind as no.1 Gully on the Ben.

Gardyloo was the old cry in Edinburg when the contents of the chamber pot were chucked out the window, from the french gardez l'eau. Gardyloo gully was so called cos all the rubbish from the Observatory was chucked down there.
Post edited at 18:15
Everyone would naturaly assume No 1 Gully, would indeed be the best one to climb, that's the number 1 gully on The Ben!!

Therefor, Minus 2 should be No 1 Gully,
Vanishing - No 2
Zero - No 3

You would then have to continue up Tower Ridge anti clockwise, back down the Minus Face, round the back of CIC and back up....
Post edited at 19:21
 Tricadam 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Stuart the postie:

> Everyone would naturaly assume No 1 Gully, would indeed be the best one to climb, that's the number 1 gully on The Ben!!Therefor, Minus 2 should be No 1 Gully, Vanishing - No 2, Zero - No 3

Minus 2 - agreed. Zero ahead of Point 5 though? Controversial!
 Michael Gordon 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

and Vanishing ahead of Point Five? It's good, but a bit short in comparison.
Removed User 13 Apr 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> it leads directly into Andy Nisbet's head.

I think that got the most 'likes' I've ever seen in a UKC thread. Well done.
 planetmarshall 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> I think that got the most 'likes' I've ever seen in a UKC thread. Well done.

Thanks, but not even close.
 Mark Bannan 14 Apr 2017
In reply to JimR:

> Gardyloo was the old cry in Edinburg when the contents of the chamber pot were chucked out the window, from the french gardez l'eau.

If you were lucky! I believe a favourite trick was to empty the pot on someone and then shout "Gardyloo"!

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...