UKC

Peak Limestone South

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 12 Apr 2017
I gather there may have been some news on this at the recent BMC Peak Area meeting, which I unfortunately missed. Is there any indication of a publication date? Obviously I can't do any limestone climbing in the southern Peak area until it comes out.
 brianjcooper 12 Apr 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

There is a Rockfax Peak Limestone guide that includes Southern Peak climbs. It might be of use as it tends to
cover the 'better' routes.

Hope this helps
 johncook 12 Apr 2017

No publication date. They are going to include first ascent details and history. They want some good quality middle grade route photos. If you have any send to Grimer at the BMC. There may be a slight delay as the BMC seem to have a few 'problems' to contend with just at this point in time.
I have taken to using the 1987 BMC Limestone south guide as it has plenty of routes at my grade that I haven't done or haven't done in years, and some amusing route descriptions!
 brianjcooper 12 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

Yeah! I've still got that one. Was my Bible for years.
In reply to planetmarshall: The main news was that the Guidebook Committee have done the right thing and will be including FA details in the guide. Previously there would have been nothing, as per Peak Limestone North, Lancashire and Merseyside.

Lusk 12 Apr 2017
In reply to brianjcooper:

> Yeah! I've still got that one. Was my Bible for years.

Me too, but Stoney was my bible.
I rushed straight out and bought it after I'd driven past Stoney and saw Sin for the first time. What was that and I want to climb it now!
 Stoney Boy 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Hopefully the proof reading and checking will be shared out before it goes to print so routes/history and other obscurities are not missed out. Also that diagrams/lines of route are actually correct which a few were not in the Limestone North guide.

Probably minor points but there will not be many more of these guides in this format.
 brianjcooper 12 Apr 2017
> There is a Rockfax Peak Limestone guide that includes Southern Peak climbs. It might be of use as it tends tocover the 'better' routes.Hope this helps

Not sure why my above post received three dislikes? Especially as I was only trying to be helpful to another climber until the new guide is published. Then of course, it is the UKC forum...
Post edited at 21:55

It was helpful, thanks. I suspect dislikes may be down to recommending a Rockfax guide over a BMC definitive, but then the (new) BMC guide does not as yet exist. Either way, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
 Jon Stewart 13 Apr 2017

Have you been Brexited back from Belgium then?

Anyway, I thought you weren't so keen on the delights of Peak lime?
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Have you been Brexited back from Belgium then?Anyway, I thought you weren't so keen on the delights of Peak lime?

Yes indeed, back in the Peak now (though North of the Border over Easter). After a recent trip to Stoney I'm developing a bit of a taste for it. Could be persuaded for a bit more this year.
 Jon Stewart 13 Apr 2017

I'm up in the Lakes these days. The local limestone is thrice as good as any Peak chosspile, and of course the actual rock climbing on proper crags is better again. I apologise for the smug tone of this post, but I've been out on the fell for a great little walk after work and then had a bit to drink.

If you ever fancy climbing on Lakes or Yorkshire rock then give us a shout, always up for it.
 Rob Parsons 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> ... The local limestone is thrice as good as any Peak chosspile ...

Which crags?
 Jon Stewart 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Chapel Head and Scout Scar. I've not seen the others yet. I was well impressed with a little look at Scout, I was expecting total rubbish and it's brilliant! Clean, dry, solid, not polished - not much of it, but what there is puts the Peak to shame!
 Rob Parsons 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks. I'll have to visit those crags sometime.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...