UKC

Climbing Dolomites, end of May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MarcusAurelius 12 Apr 2017
Hi, I'll be spending 4 days in the Dolomites - May 25-28. Planning on staying around Castelrotto and then Cortina d'Ampezzo. Any must do hikes, scrambles, climbs I should be doing? I have my eye on the Odle group and Sassolungo Langkofel group. Can anyone recommend soloable routes? I have no idea what is around Cortina d'Ampezzo, Soloable VF perhaps?

Any input would be great, thanks!
 ripper 12 Apr 2017
In reply to MarcusAurelius:

Don't know about this year (sure someone else with more local knowledge will be along soon) but typically might still be a fair amount of snow around, so early in the year
 tjekel 13 Apr 2017

Langkofel itself is to early in the year, but you may have good conditions on the southfacing walls of the firtst Sella Tower and Ciavazzes. Around Cortina, routes along the Falzarego Pass may be in condition, Tofana won't.

Hi Marcus,

The Dolomites in May especially at the end of the month can be a great time to visit.

The lifts around Cortina will all be closed however this doesn't really affect climbing, just some of the Via Ferrata.
From Cortina Cinque Torre is easy to visit, interesting to walk around and there are some easy routes, all need an abseil off the top.

The Via Ferrata Ivano Dibona on Cristallo (Cortina) may be a good option as the chair lift is no longer running to the top and so you'll have to walk regardless of when you go! (be prepared for a few patches of snow on route). Best from Ospitale. and you can continue along the Marino Bianche for the full tick!

Tre Cime is always worth a visit, walk around the base (the toll road may still be free) or do one of the Via Ferrata in the area.
 Toerag 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Francis Charlesworth:

>The Via Ferrata Ivano Dibona on Cristallo (Cortina) may be a good option as the chair lift is no longer running to the top and so you'll have to walk regardless of when you go! (be prepared for a few patches of snow on route).

Most of this faces south so should be relatively clear of snow. The north side of the ridge has the Vf René da Pol which will hold snow. It a nice overnight trip to go up one, stay in the hut and descend the other. Maybe fit in the Vf Bianchi too?
There's the two VF either side of the road north of Cortina which are lower altitude, south facing and walkable from town - VF Bovero and VF Strobel

MarcusAurelius 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Francis Charlesworth:

> The Via Ferrata Ivano Dibona on Cristallo (Cortina) may be a good option as the chair lift is no longer running to the top and so you'll have to walk regardless of when you go! (be prepared for a few patches of snow on route). Best from Ospitale. and you can continue along the Marino Bianche for the full tick!

Thankyou! I will definitely check out Cinque Torre and Tre Cime. As far as the Via Ferrata Ivano Dibona, if I head up from Ospitale and also do VF Bianchi can I descend the scree slope under the cable car? Or do I need to retrace my ascent to get down?

Yes you can descend the scree (the piste in winter) and then catch the chair lift down
Post edited at 17:52
 Toerag 02 May 2017

As per my post, either go down the scree, retrace your steps or do the VF you didn't come up. I've just remembered there was a snow couloir on the Dibona when we did it (one July), there's a good chance the wire will be buried.
 bencj 22 May 2017

Hi,

I was there last week and there is still a lot of snow up high, and a lot of variation in snow cover as already described. South facing slopes can be free of snow but then thick soft snow in gullies that are protected from snow. Temperatures have been cool and there were late snowfalls down to 2000m until a couple of weeks ago.

VF are a great solo activity and at the moment the area is quiet and out of season. The two VF mentioned just north of Cortina are great and only summit around 2100m. Micheli Strobel was snow free in April apart from some simple traverses on the top, but this may have had some more snow since. I did Ettore Bovore last week and the only snow was ankle depth on the start of the descent path. May be worth taking gaiters to stop snow coming in the top of boots although I did this in approach shoes which were fine. Ascent of Brigata Trigadenta was fine although snow on top at 2600m up to knee in places. Hut was surrounded by snow and I expect will not be open for a while. Descent gully was full of thick deep snow up to mid thigh. When snow has been walked on such as paths you can find some hard freeze melt snow. However, because the snow has been falling until recently, and been cool, almost all of the snow that I encountered was soft spring snow. I left my axe and just took poles on my pack in case they would help for balance on the descent. Boots were well soaked by the end. Watch such places on warm afternoons in case of wet slab avalanches. I kept to the side and was out on a cold wet day which kept risk to minimum. Descent cables buried and it was an adventure descent.

If you are camping in Cortina I would suggest Camping Cortina as this is the only campsite that is open and has a bar/restaurant. Very good pizzas and open until 22.00.

I hope to get back up there this week in which case I will send an update on any other routes that I do.

Have a great trip. It is a beautiful region.
MarcusAurelius 01 Jun 2017

I had a great time in the Dolomites, did not get to do any technical climbing unfortunately. Caught the tail end of the stage 18 Tour de Italy celebration in Ortisei, spent an entire day in the Alpe di Suisi with hiking up to Plattkofel. Spent the next day up in the Odle group. The next day hiked up to Rifugio Guido Lorenzi, this turned out to be a very wet endeavor and the weather was forecasted with chance of lightning and stormy so with dark clouds around me I turned around and slid down the snow and scree. The VF Marino Bianchi looked great, but back the other direction though there was still large amounts of snow blocking portions of the Ivano Dibona. Thanks everyone for the input and I hope to be back someday to do some more technical climbing in the Dolomites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...