UKC

Rope age/use question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JOHN67 13 Apr 2017

Hi there,

I bought new ropes at the beginning of 2013. Then in 2013 I had a shoulder injury which stopped my climbing. I'm back climbing now and I want to get back out this year.

The ropes have been stored in rope bags, in dry bags, in a dark wardrobe at 18 deg C. No light, no damp, no chemicals, no blades. They have been taken out every now and then and flaked out on a tarp (indoors) before being put back in the bags.

Maybe they could have been at the shop in spring/summer 2012 so they could now be a maximum of 5 years old. They have never been used. They are in mint, brand new condition. I'm 100% confident in the care and storage that these ropes have had.

I'm interested in knowing your views on how much life they have left in them once they start to get used.

Ok to climb on (lead, ab, top rope....everything) for the next 4 years?

Thanks
Post edited at 12:11
In reply to JOHN67:

> I'm interested in knowing your views on how much life they have left in them once they start to get used.Ok to climb on (lead, ab, top rope....everything) for the next 4 years?Thanks

Chances are they will be trashed in a year of regular use so the question of whether they could still last for 4 years will be academic.

GridNorth 13 Apr 2017
In reply to JOHN67:

Yes.

Al
 ripper 13 Apr 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

> Yes.Al

agree, they'll be fine as long as they look/feel in good nick
 brianjcooper 13 Apr 2017
In reply to JOHN67:

The documentation with my Beal ropes says they can be stored for 5 years then used for 10 years. Each manufacturer
will know doubt vary, but as a general rule...

1) I store mine, after each use, as you do. In a dark, dry, and temperate room.

2) The 10 years max will depend on how often you use them. Daily, weekly, monthly etc.
But a rope can be damaged beyond use after just one outing, so I always check them during and at the end of the
day.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it sounds a bit patronising, it isn't meant to be.
 tehmarks 13 Apr 2017
In reply to JOHN67:

Absolutely fine. I have a single rope that I regularly use now going on for 7 years old that I'm still happy climbing on.
 climberchristy 13 Apr 2017
In reply to JOHN67:

Hi,

In terms of how you stored them it sounds ideal. Hence the ropes will be good to go. Moreover you (rightly) trust them and that psychological element is crucial.

As for how long they'll last...as others have said that depends on all sorts of factors.

Enjoy!
 keith sanders 16 Apr 2017
In reply to JOHN67:

If you have any doubt in any gear dump it and buy a replacement, it's what go's on in your head when your in a position of falling that reminds you of is it safe.

keith s
 Wayne S 16 Apr 2017
In reply to JOHN67:
Hi I am pretty sure the Mammut recommendation is to retire at 10 years with little to no use. I would therefore be perfectly happy to use a well stored rope at five years old. TBH I have had to make myself retire a couple of my single ropes when I realised they were probably 10+ years old. I have found it fairly easy to retire half ropes as mine tend get a hammering, and they get fluffy and the handling goes off a bit, after 2-3 seasons, less so with single ropes for me. I had do some forensics to try and work out just how old my singles were, and was quite suprised at the answer (old pictures, and logs). Never been too fussy about keeping usage notes on my gear, but this was a bit of a heads up.

OP JOHN67 16 Apr 2017
Thank you all for the feedback.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...