UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Tasmania - The Totem Pole & Beyond

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 13 Apr 2017
Tasmania Destination Article, 4 kbRob Greenwood takes a tour of an island paradise, inconveniently located on the other side of the planet to where he lives.

Read more
 Tom Last 13 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Cool article Rob, great sounding place.
 Callum Smith 13 Apr 2017

Wicked article, makes me want to go back so much!

A pro tip for the coffee connoisseur, Tasmania (and Melbourne) have some of the best coffee anywhere, so this is not to be missed. Cubed Espresso Bar which overlooks Pirate Bay (has its own pirate telescope) has the best coffee I've ever had.
 JR_NL 13 Apr 2017

While unlikely to visit Tasmania anytime soon it's been one of the best destination guides I've seen!
 hairyRob 13 Apr 2017
Not forgetting some of the finest long (~7 days or longer if you want) remote backpacking in the world.
I once went 7 and 1/2 days without seeing a single person.
Post edited at 21:56
 Wft 13 Apr 2017

Wonderful article Rob

Great article Rob!....
I definitely want to do a climbing trip there in the future.
 shantaram 14 Apr 2017

Really inspiring article. Thanks Rob.
 Bobling 14 Apr 2017

Fantastic article about just about one of my favourite places in the world, thanks! I spent a Summer/Autumn there picking apples about ten years ago, wonderful, wonderful place. All I'd add is leave some time for multi-day tramping (bush-walking in the local vernacular). Watch out for leeches on the Tasman peninsular. Do go to some of the islands to the South (Bruny Island has wallabies that have a genetic mutation that means some of them are pure white - Ghost wallabies!).

Gah. That's it. I'm ditching the job, selling the kids and booking a ticket now.
 Rob Parsons 14 Apr 2017

Great place, Tasmania - just an incredible pity that the locals are still trying to wreck it. See e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/apr/21/australia.environment and https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2007/may/1348543148/richard-flanagan/ou...

(The latter article's now slightly out-of-date in the detail - e.g. the 'Gunns' company is now in liquidation - but the fundamental problems remain as described.)
Post edited at 13:04
 pneame 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

That's a bit depressing - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-17/push-to-open-up-tasmanian-forests-to-...

Stunning photos, Rob. And great write up.

Can't help thinking that Van Dieman's Land as a name was more in line with it's location almost beyond the edges of the world. Tasmania sounds a bit benign.
 rpc 14 Apr 2017
In reply to pneame:

Very nice article. Did you get up Frenchman's (did I miss it in the article)? Spent 2 wks there 2 years ago & the weather never opened up on that (west?) side of the island - too bad as it looks like the best multi-pitch on Tasmania.
 Rob Parsons 15 Apr 2017
In reply to rpc:

> Did you get up Frenchman's ... it looks like the best multi-pitch on Tasmania.

You can walk up to the summit of Frenchman's Cap. As to the climbing on it, there are many routes (check out thesarvo.com) - which one are you thinking of?

'Best multi-pitch'? Who knows. I think a route on the North-West face of Federation would beckon me more.

ian caton 15 Apr 2017

Don't mention the Palawa. Savage history. The first successful genocide some say.

Can't believe I would feel comfortable there.
 ringostar 19 Apr 2017
Venomous not poisonous

Unless you're planning to eat them
In reply to rpc:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it.

In specific reply to rpc, I didn't manage to get up to Frenchman's Cap unfortunately, as - much like you - we never quite had the weather for it. From what I gather the place itself is amazing, but the routes are all quite bold and rock questionable. Still, when's that ever put off someone in search of a good adventure...

In reply to ringostar:

That made me smile, right you are
 Damo 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Great job, Rob. Hopefully not too great

Just to note that the name is Apline, not Alpine as the caption reads in Jed's photo.
https://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/coles-bay/route/13652857

I did the Skyline Traverse of Cradle Mountain a couple of months ago. It's well worth a day out for climbers doing the tourist thing, bagging an iconic view, and some nice dolerite up high.
Post edited at 10:38
 robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 20 Apr 2017

Great article and amazing pictures, properly psyched for it now. Weirdly, bumped into Gerry Narkowicz today at the crag in Kalymnos. It's obviously fate so I will start planning.
In reply to robertmichaeladams:

It's a sign, get those tickets booked
 rpc 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

We ran into some young local climbers in a shop in Hobart & they mentioned that they’ve been trying to climb something (technical) on Frenchman’s for a couple years due to weather. I guess I don’t feel too disappointed with our 2 week outing then. The article brought back some fond memories of a really amazing place. Loved the variety of climbing for such a small package (& the rel. untouched nature).
 Rob Morgan 20 Apr 2017
In reply to ringostar:

Was going to say the same thing!

https://www.cheerupemokid.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2015-05-28_rescue....

Great article.
 Maximo 08 Jun 2017

Yep, it's pretty special down here. Great article, definitely showing some of the creme de la creme of the island.

Other crags people should look into are-
Stacks Bluff at Ben Lommond, This place has a totally different feel to the flutes, pure adventure on little repeated multi pitches. Also Africa on Ben Lommond is worth a visit for bold adventures. This is the type of climbing I really like but others might not enjoy so much. Hillwood is a good option for a few days of bolt clipping also. If on the north west coast Rocky Cape makes for some cool climbing and is one of the most beautiful bits of coastline on the island.

Peace.
Post edited at 03:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...