UKC

MOAB usage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Bourne 14 Apr 2017
No thread on Trump's use of MOAB? Your slipping UKC.
The last week has shown that Trump is not just going to withdraw from the world stage as some thought. To me the message is "We didn't use nukes but we could have". In other words Trump is not afraid to use the fire power at his disposal.
Is it warmongering or a justified display of strength? So far reports say that no civilians were killed but it seems a change in tactic from "hearts and minds" peace keeping to a more aggressive approach.
Is this what the world needs or is it the slippery slope to world conflict?
 deepsoup 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
You mean "You're slipping UKC." Standards haven't fallen that far!
abseil 14 Apr 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> You mean "You're slipping UKC."....

You mean "You're slipping, UKC." Thank you
 nufkin 14 Apr 2017

> No thread on Trump's use of MOAB?

We use MOACs in these parts
MarkJH 14 Apr 2017

> Is it warmongering or a justified display of strength? So far reports say that no civilians were killed but it seems a change in tactic from "hearts and minds" peace keeping to a more aggressive approach. Is this what the world needs or is it the slippery slope to world conflict?

I think that the use of airstrikes to support Afghan government forces is consistent with US policy under the Obama administration over many years. I don't know whether or not the use of this particular bomb was a tactical or political decision, but to put it in perspective, it is equivalent to only a fraction of the combined bomb load of a single B52, so it isn't really an escalation.

It seems to have really captured the attention of the media, so if it was intended to serve a political purpose, then it may well have been effective.

Greasy Prusiks 14 Apr 2017

OK hands up who's got an opinion on this story?

Now keep your hand up if you knew what a MOAB was when you woke up this morning.

I thought as much

deepsoup 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Now keep your hand up if you knew what a MOAB was when you woke up this morning.

I thought Moab was Stephen Fry's wash pot.

> Now keep your hand up if you knew what a MOAB was when you woke up this morning.

Kind of a boring name, they should have had a competition.

wercat 14 Apr 2017
In reply to nufkin:

Ain't nothing so good as putting the MOAC in. Blam! Once it's gone home you're safe.
 Steve Perry 14 Apr 2017

> OK hands up who's got an opinion on this story? Now keep your hand up if you knew what a MOAB was when you woke up this morning. I thought as much

Mother Of All Boulders
Pan Ron 14 Apr 2017
Bit of a tricky one.

The MOAB is apparently a 21,000 lb bomb, equal to about 11 tonnes of TNT.

That's not far short of the 15 ton TNT equivalent dropped on Hiroshima.

Though looked at another way, a single B-52 can drop an even greater TNT equivalent than the MOAB when shooting its load of bog-standard 500lb Mk-82 iron bombs - the staple and minimum ordinance on just about any NATO aircraft. I imagine that many Mk-82s get dropped by the US in the Middle East every day.

More disturbing I found was the rather casual and jovial manner that folk talk about these sorts of weapons on youtube documentary clips (Discovery Channel "Weapons of War!" style stuff). Randy, from down at the golf club, likes to watch football on a Monday, goes to church, enjoys his Bud over the BBQ at the weekend, produces ridiculously powerful weapons able to annihilate cities or dispersed humans during his 9 to 5. Also, rather ironic that dispensed from a C-130, its kind of a rich-man's version of the barrel-bombs we don't like Assad using.
Post edited at 15:00
 wintertree 14 Apr 2017
In reply to David Martin:

> Also, rather ironic that dispensed from a C-130, its kind of a rich-man's version of the barrel-bombs we don't like Assad using.

Disagree. Beyond Assad's choice of civilian targets, it's not being dropped from a non-bomber aircraft that makes barrel bombs bad, it's being dropped imprecisely without a guidance and navigation packag. Both the MC-130 and the bomb have guidance and navigation kit designed for precision targeting.
 Jack B 14 Apr 2017

> Bit of a tricky one.The MOAB is apparently a 21,000 lb bomb, equal to about 11 tonnes of TNT. That's not far short of the 15 ton TNT equivalent dropped on Hiroshima.

Um... I think you are off by a factor of 1000 or so. The "little boy" bomb was somewhere about 15kT, not 15T. Though nukes down that size were developed later.
 Snowdave 14 Apr 2017

Having more than a passing interest in military stuff the Mass Ordnance Air Blast is the correct weapon to deal with caves etc.

Military have been working for some time to combat the Taliban (originally) in these deep cave systems, as "bunker busting" bombs/missiles are not effective..

Sends the correct signals to ISIS/ISIL, we can still kill you deep in your cave systems, there is no hiding!
abseil 14 Apr 2017

> .....Now keep your hand up if you knew what a MOAB was when you woke up this morning. I thought as much

I well remember the town of Moab in Utah. I drove through it once, it's a lovely area.
In reply to nufkin:

But they are bomber!
Pan Ron 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Jack B:

> Um... I think you are off by a factor of 1000 or so. The "little boy" bomb was somewhere about 15kT, not 15T. Though nukes down that size were developed later.

Well spotted. That's my Mars lander totalled.

summo 14 Apr 2017

It was just a little side show to show NK what they can do non nuclear. I'm not convinced though. I don't think any of Kims generals dare tell him they'd get totalled if nk starts anything, ignorant bliss I think, until it all goes horribly wrong.
 wintertree 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Snowdave:

> Having more than a passing interest in military stuff the Mass Ordnance Air Blast is the correct weapon to deal with caves etc.

Well, it's the best weapon until the counter insurgency version of the Warrenator is released...

youtube.com/watch?v=xYOd6cv6Hwk&
 wercat 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Snowdave:
perhaps the real but unsaid message is that it could hit a North Korean Bunker complex

or is it embedded in a biblical reference :

"According to the biblical account, Moab and Ammon were born to Lot and Lot's elder and younger daughters, respectively, in the aftermath of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. The Bible refers to both the Moabites and Ammonites as Lot's sons, born of incest with his daughters " Wikipedia

sounds begotten out of carnage with some bad connotations
Post edited at 16:26
 wercat 14 Apr 2017

surely you were calculating in units of inch-grammes?
OP Duncan Bourne 14 Apr 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

I blame society
OP Duncan Bourne 14 Apr 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I dunno "Mother of all bombs" sounds pretty exciting to me

> I dunno "Mother of all bombs" sounds pretty exciting to me

Typical American bragging. I'd go with Bomby McBombface any time.
 Big Ger 14 Apr 2017
 aln 14 Apr 2017

I'm thinking the reason this bomb was used was coz Donald discovered they had this huge bomb which had never been used, and he REALLY wanted to see it go boom...
 Trangia 15 Apr 2017

Quite apart from destroying ISIS fighters, I've wondered if this may have also been intended as a message and demonstration to North Korea on the World Wide stage that the USA has the capability of destroying their underground nuclear facilities without themselves having to resort to nuclear weapons? Just a thought - Kim Jong-un take note?

On a different note I wonder at the claim that this is the World's biggest non nuclear bomb. At the end of WW2 Bomber Command's 617 Squadron Lancasters were dropping Barnes Wallis's Grand Slam. A 22,000 lb bomb known then as an "Earthquake Bomb" which could penetrate deep underground through reinforced concrete before detonating. It was used to destroy hardened V2 rocked launching sites and hardened U Boat pens, previously impervious to bombing.
 Rick Graham 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Trangia:

The 10 T Grand Slam bomb would not have had that much explosive in it, a lot of the weight being the hardened shell needed to penetrate the RC structures. They also had delayed detonation available, so several could explode simultaneously for maximum effect.

IIRC there was also a large air blast bomb of similar weight during WW2, designed " to blow buildings over ".
This could have been a predecessor of the MOAB design.

The MOAB has 11 T of explosive ( or is that 11 T equivalent of TNT ) so will be of greater weight overall.

All OTTOMH, read a book on 617 squadron a while ago.
 Trangia 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

> IIRC there was also a large air blast bomb of similar weight during WW2, designed " to blow buildings over ".

Wasn't that the 4,000 lb "Cookie" designed to detonate about 100m above the ground and blow the roofs off large built up areas, which when mixed with incendiary bombs resulted in large area fires which created their own fire storms overwhelming the fire services and capable of destroying whole cities? Many cities including Hamburg and Cologne were virtually destroyed by the combination of these weapons.

timjones 15 Apr 2017
> No thread on Trump's use of MOAB? Your slipping UKC.

It has been suggested that the use of this bomb would probably not need to be sanctioned by the President.

However, given that it can't be blamed on Brexit I guess that Trump is the next best choice
Post edited at 14:04
 Andy Hardy 15 Apr 2017
In reply to wintertree:

With a reported blast radius of a mile, *precision* guidance systems are probably OTT.
In reply to Trangia:

> A 22,000 lb bomb known then as an "Earthquake Bomb" which could penetrate deep underground through reinforced concrete before detonating

And trialled in the New Forest. There's even a scale model of the German submarine pens, now buried under a mound of earth.

> That's my Mars lander totalled.

Would never have got off the ground...
 aln 17 Apr 2017

Such Bollox. New, president New, administration stretch in the morning scratch their balls set off a, a bomb
In reply to Trangia:

> Wasn't that the 4,000 lb "Cookie" designed to detonate about 100m above the ground and blow the roofs off large built up areas, which when mixed with incendiary bombs resulted in large area fires which created their own fire storms overwhelming the fire services and capable of destroying whole cities? Many cities including Hamburg and Cologne were virtually destroyed by the combination of these weapons.

Gosh isn't war such fun.
 Ridge 18 Apr 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Gosh isn't war such fun.

Nope, it's simply war.
 Toerag 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:
> The 10 T Grand Slam bomb would not have had that much explosive in it, a lot of the weight being the hardened shell needed to penetrate the RC structures. The MOAB has 11 T of explosive ( or is that 11 T equivalent of TNT ) so will be of greater weight overall.All OTTOMH, read a book on 617 squadron a while ago.

Yep, wikipedia is great for bomb info, look up the Grandslam bomb on there. I'm waiting for the russkies to drop a FOAB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_of_All_Bombs
Post edited at 12:59
 wintertree 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Nope, it's simply war.

To be fair, a small minority of people seem to have a whale of a time at war....

Consider Jack Churchill, with the only recorded longbow kill in WW2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

blurty 18 Apr 2017

If the MOAB can deal with a cave system, it'll have no problem with a bunker.

I suspect the Americans were sending N Korea 'a message' - the USA would have no need to resort to nukes
 Stichtplate 18 Apr 2017
In reply to blurty:
> If the MOAB can deal with a cave system, it'll have no problem with a bunker.

I doubt that a tunnel and cave system in the bum end of Afghanistan fortified by Isis with the aid of a pick , a shovel and a donkey can compare with a 30 year old nuclear weapons facility built under a mountain, costing a sizeable portion of a country's GDP.

...even if the GDP belongs to North Korea.
Post edited at 20:05
 dread-i 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

>... can compare with a 30 year old nuclear weapons facility built under a mountain

Even a 30 year old facility built under a mountain may not be as safe as it once was.
"The new bunker buster has a fusing system that will withstand impact with the more than 100ft of earth and concrete"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/10035349/Pentagon...

Some of the papers were saying that the MOAB was built 14 years ago, but never used. I wonder what the use by date is? The electronics, batteries and bits and bobs will probably deteriorate over time. I wonder if they dropped it as it was going end of life (no pun). Send a message, kill bad guys and use up old kit.

Stichtplate 18 Apr 2017
In reply to dread-i:
The extremely paranoid NK regime have been on a war footing for 67 years. Over that time they have got very good at digging really deep holes to keep stuff safe in.
You can bet that the one facility in the whole country that is absolutely vital to the continuation of their regime is going feature high up in the top ten of the worlds hardest targets.
Post edited at 21:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...