/ Old Man of Hoy, July 2017

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Dylan JCB - on 14 Apr 2017
I'm a US climber traveling in Scotland for two weeks in July. I'll be in Orkney the first week, and would love to slip away from my family for a day and climb the Old Man of Hoy.

I'm comfortable leading 5.8 trad, and could push myself to 5.9. I climb 5.11 sport climbs. I've got plenty of multi-pitch experience. I won't be traveling with climbing gear, though I can bring shoes, harness and other personal gear.

I'd prefer to climb with an experience local climber. I looked into hiring a guide, but the price just didn't make sense. I'd consider climbing with a newer climber if we correspond first.

I'll buy the post-climb beer, and chip in for petrol.

Email me at djcbuffum at hot mail dot com with suggestions or connections.

Thanks!

Dylan
Dylan JCB - on 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Bump.
Dylan JCB - on 16 May 2017
Bump.
Dylan JCB - on 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Bump
Dylan JCB - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Still looking for a partner. Anyone?
Frank the Husky - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB: It's such a shame you can't find anyone, and that the Orkney Climbing Club are so inactive/disinterested.

Best of luck!

CurlyStevo - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Do you know what US grade the old man of hoy would be. A straight grade table conversion puts it at 5:10b I think, but I guess the USA grades cracks more stiffly so it could be a lower US grade than that? AFAIK its not sustained at the grade though and most pitches are easier.
tasp05 - on 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Just sent you an email!
Gerry on 27 Jun 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It's tougher than 5.9 anyway and twice as scary, and there's no bolts.
Dooney102 - on 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Hi dylan have u found a partner yet? What dates u lookin at? Drop me a text 07771148965. Relatively new to climb have led some VS at local crags and have all my own gear. Ben
ads.ukclimbing.com
Dooney102 - on 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Its an E1?? Yea might be abit much for me jist now. Would love to have given it a go.
Heather Osborne on 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Hey Dylan, have you made plans yet? I'm in Orkney for the next month, also looking for climbing partners, with the Old Man of Hoy being top of the list to do! I'm not a local climber unfortunately, but happy at HVS/E1, and have occaisionally led harder. Am flexible to climb pretty much whenever, my number's 07425936104 if you (or anyone else reading this) are free for a climb.

Heather
Dylan JCB - on 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Heather Osborne:

Hi Heather, I replied to your email last week and haven't heard back from you yet. I'm on the ferry right now, (Monday 7/3), and will be in Orphir for a week. Could we make Friday or Saturday work?
Heather Osborne on 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Sorry I didn't see your email for some reason! Have replied now
mrbird on 17:57 Sun
In reply to Dylan JCB:

Anybody still after a partner for the auld manny?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.