UKC

FM Radio broadcasting...RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 14 Apr 2017
I only caught a snatch of this on the radio yesterday but it seems that the BBC in their perceived wisdom are to curtail their broadcasting of the FM radio frequency, as apparently we are all switched to digital. Well I'm not switched to digital, nor is my car or my top spec Hi-Fi. Why do they always want to fix something that's not broken? My wife had a digital portable radio but we gave up listening as it was very difficult to tune or even get a signal. And please don't suggest using the TV, as it's designed for vision unlike the radio, where it doesn't matter where you are as long as you can hear the sound. Also, as we all already know the sound quality on most TVs is Neanderthal! Rant over. Perhaps we should start some sort of protest, or perhaps I am another Tolpuddle martyr?
 wintertree 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Nooooooo.....

DAB sucks. Both in terms of quality and as an attack vector against modern cars - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33622298
Post edited at 20:33
 kevin stephens 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:
not going to happen any time soon, this was the hope when DAB was launched, but with too many people relying on FM, relatively poor coverage and that they chose a crap DAB format that falls short of FM sound quality (it could have been better)
 Dave 88 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Unfortunately analogue transmission is not particularly efficient in terms of its use of the the RF spectrum. With bandwidth now being more valuable than ever, the incentive for owners to sell off spectrum or re-use it for more profitable uses is strong.
Moley 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Hopefully not, no dab signal in my area (only Wales ffs). FM and vinyl are still strong in my manshed.
 balmybaldwin 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It's ok there'll still be LW for the Ludites
 Doug 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

This has been a government proposal for years, is there anything new ? Will make thousands of perfectly good radios obsolete for no real improvement for the listener.

And means that no one visiting from elsewhere in Europe by car will be able to listen to the radio except maybe on LW , assuming that stays & they have a radio which can receive LW.
 wercat 15 Apr 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

a lot of car radios don't have LW any more which makes life tedious when you get too far out of the way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...