UKC

Kelvin MacKenzie stoops to a new low

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 14 Apr 2017

Likening a mixed race footballer to the missing link between man and beast is pretty low, even for him(?).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/kelvin-mackenzie-the-sun-liv...

A horrible man.
 Shani 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Likening a mixed race footballer to the missing link between man and beast is pretty low, even for him(?).

I think this response covers it:

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/comment-kelvin-mackenzie-proves-once-again-that-...
OP Timmd 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

Blimey. Yes it does.
 gavmac 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

He really is an utter twunt of a man. To be fair, the Sun and it's readers deserve him.
 Yanis Nayu 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

He's a vile piece of shit. Those sort of people seem to be doing pretty well at the moment.
 mudmonkey 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:
> Likening a mixed race footballer to the missing link between man and beast is pretty low, even for him(?).

I think this response covers it:

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/comment-kelvin-mackenzie-proves-once-again-that-...

It was pretty low indeed and Mackenzie is a knob. I see they have helpfully emphasised this by Photoshopping his teeth yellow and his eyes red in case we were in any doubt as to how evil he is. Proudly sharing that article might somewhat detract from your ability to take the moral high ground though - I'm not sure I would rate joe.co.uk/news any better than The Sun on this evidence. Got bored a third of the way through, but extracted some quotes below :

He is a dirty, sadly still throbbing haemorrhoid on the rectum of humanity

He is almost universally accepted as vomitous, unscrupulous, poisonous and utterly vile

His very existence is a massive f*cking pity for all of us

Bloated festering mess

Leathery ballsack Kelvin

He is a depraved shithouse

Yes, a man who looks like an actual testicle with arms and legs

I don't know if Kelvin Mackenzie is a racist or his article had any racist intent - entirely possible on both counts. Can't say I'm familiar with his work. Is it possible though that he was, as stated, unaware of Ross Barkley being mixed race?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/405800/Everton-3-Aston-Villa-0-Ro...

Barkley is on the left
Post edited at 09:59
 Shani 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Dines:

>Proudly sharing that article might somewhat detract from your ability to take the moral high ground though

You're over-analysing it Andy. That JOE article is indeed over the top.
 TomGB 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:
scumbag obviously. Doubt there was any racial intent however, as a football fan I certainly had no idea barkley was mixed race (only a single black grandparent). The gorilla comment was an analogy regarding his relative speed of thought (not that many rungs up the ladder of acceptability)
Post edited at 11:00
In reply to Andy Dines:

> I don't know if Kelvin Mackenzie is a racist or his article had any racist intent - entirely possible on both counts. Can't say I'm familiar with his work.

If you were familiar with his work, you might understand the vehemence of that joe article.
 The New NickB 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

> >That JOE article is indeed over the top.

I thought they were hold back!
 icnoble 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Wasn't Mackenzie the editor of the Sun when it printed the lies about the Hillsborough disaster victims?

Agreed with everyone above, a disgraceful article.
OP Timmd 15 Apr 2017
In reply to icnoble:
> Wasn't Mackenzie the editor of the Sun when it printed the lies about the Hillsborough disaster victims?

Yes he was. Liverpool fans picked the pockets of the dead according to him.
Post edited at 12:12
 Shani 15 Apr 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

> I thought they were hold back!

Morty 15 Apr 2017
In reply to icnoble:

> Wasn't Mackenzie the editor of the Sun when it printed the lies about the Hillsborough disaster victims?Agreed with everyone above, a disgraceful article.

Yes, he was responsible for publishing the shameful article that featured his front page "The Truth" where the paper produced a litany of disgraceful lies. A horrible excuse for a man.
sebastian dangerfield 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Do you think he knew Barclay's mixed race?
In reply to Shani:

What's over the top about it?
Pan Ron 15 Apr 2017
In reply to sebastian dangerfield:
> What's over the top about it?

Possibly because if the comment was made about a player who wasn't mixed race there would be no assumed racism and it would be seen as nothing but a standard hatchet job on a player in the tabloid press.

But because the player is mixed-race (I had never heard of or seen him until now, but if I had I would never have assumed he had any Nigerian ancestry) there is an immediate jump to assumptions.

Kelvin MacKenzie is a waste of good oxygen as far as I'm concerned. But I don't see him doing anything racist and nothing outside of what passes for usual tabloid journalism. This is the sort of knee-jerk reaction we were discussing on a previous thread.
Post edited at 13:04
In reply to David Martin:

I don't think that's what shani meant.

(I agree he was probably just being a c*nt, rather than a racist c*nt. )
OP Timmd 15 Apr 2017
In reply to sebastian dangerfield:

> Do you think he knew Barclay's mixed race?

I guess it's hard to know.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Apr 2017
In reply to David Martin:

I suspect he didn't know Barclay was mixed-race - I certainly didn't. I just thought he looked like Lance Armstrong. It was a shitty piece anyway though, totally uncalled-for. To further denigrate Liverpudlians so close to the anniversary of Hillsborough, given his part in smearing the victims, shows him for what he is.
 Chris Harris 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Gorillas are intelligent, caring creatures with complex family structures & long-lasting relationships.

Comparing them to footballers is simply unacceptable.
 mudmonkey 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

> >Proudly sharing that article might somewhat detract from your ability to take the moral high ground thoughYou're over-analysing it Andy. That JOE article is indeed over the top.

Just not sure how you reconcile your dislike of The Sun/Mackenzie's "journalism" with liking the sort of thing that joe.co.uk is peddling. Maybe you're under-analysing it Shani?
 Yanis Nayu 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the Sun suspended him though. Given that they presumably read what they put in their newspapers, they should suspend themselves as well.
 wbo 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Yanis:because he's costing them money. I'd assume they're ok with racist bile as they let it past their editors.

Is he a racist, or was it a mistake as he didn't know? Well he's supposed to know about football , and Ross BarclAy publicly considered making himself eligible for Nigeria so make of that what you will. It's still a pretty miserable effort, but really only shows the old bigot for his true colours - his Wikipedia entry has plenty of other examples.

It is hard not to wish him pain and unhappiness

mudmonkey 16 Apr 2017
In reply to wbo:

> because he's costing them money. I'd assume they're ok with racist bile as they let it past their editors.Is he a racist, or was it a mistake as he didn't know? Well he's supposed to know about football , and Ross BarclAy publicly considered making himself eligible for Nigeria so make of that what you will. It's still a pretty miserable effort, but really only shows the old bigot for his true colours - his Wikipedia entry has plenty of other examples.It is hard not to wish him pain and unhappiness

Mackenzie may be a shoddy "journalist" and a tw*t to boot, but he's probably not stupid and has been in journalism since 1963 Wikipedia informs me - with many years as an editor. So ask yourself this : Would a man with his experience in the media, knowingly compare a mixed-race footballer to a gorilla in a national newspaper and not expect severe repercussions, if not a prosecution?

Is Mackenzie a football journalist that is likely to have known of Barkley's heritage? Can anyone find a picture of Barkley on the internet where he looks remotely thus?

I'm not defending Mackenzie, the article or The Sun, but the lack of racist intent seems fairly clear to me.
 Shani 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Dines:

> Just not sure how you reconcile your dislike of The Sun/Mackenzie's "journalism" with liking the sort of thing that joe.co.uk is peddling. Maybe you're under-analysing it Shani?

You continue to overanalyse. I've not expressed an opinion on TheSun or KM above..

The OP opined that KM was 'a horrible man' - and i linked to an article I'd come across earlier that concurred with the OP's view. It was a topical link, but laughably over the top. Can't say i like JOE as such.
 stevieb 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Dines:
Yes, making a fuss about the racist angle probably helps him gain some support. I had no idea barkley was mixed race.
It was a poisonous, pointless article and should be condemned for this, not for unwitting racism
 wbo 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Dines: It was well reported that Barkley had enquired about playing for Nigeria as a way to get international football. So well known he was of mixed race and Mackenzie is supposed to know football.
Repercussions - I doubt he gives a toss. He's spent a career making people unhappy. He's probably bitter he's had some comeback for a change. I think you're more generous than me for giving him the benefit of the doubt

mudmonkey 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

> You continue to overanalyse. I've not expressed an opinion on TheSun or KM above.. The OP opined that KM was 'a horrible man' - and i linked to an article I'd come across earlier that concurred with the OP's view. It was a topical link, but laughably over the top. Can't say i like JOE as such.

Ah, I kind of assumed that as you had linked to an article which was a sustained, hate-filled rant against Mackenzie and The Sun, with over a dozen remarkably colourful and imaginative expletives that you were in agreement with the OP. Genuine mistake, if you're ambivalent about Mackenzie, or indeed like him, then please accept my apologies. Clearly I'm feeling pretty foolish in my original assumption now!

Can't say I like JOE much either, hence I wouldn't post a link to one of his hateful diatribes. I do seem to be in the minority though, judging from the number of likes your link got.

Anyway, just a bit perplexed how people can criticise Mackenzie but like JOE. Struggling to differentiate them myself, both tw*ts if you ask me

Anyway, off I go again, over-analysing!
 mudmonkey 16 Apr 2017
In reply to stevieb:

> Yes, making a fuss about the racist angle probably helps him gain some support. I had no idea barkley was mixed race. It was a poisonous, pointless article and should be condemned for this, not for unwitting racism

Yep, agree 100%
In reply to Andy Dines:

It was the first time I'd ever seen 'joe'. But the article seemed to be a pretty close approximation to my feelings towards MacKenzie.
sebastian dangerfield 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Dines:

Surely if Mackenzie has done half the things that Joe mentions in his article, then the articles totally fine, no?

(The only thing that I can see he might not have done is know that Barclay's mixed race)
 Yanis Nayu 16 Apr 2017
In reply to sebastian

A couple of gems here from his Wiki entry:

"MacKenzie at one point ran a story about a previously unknown member of the public who had just undergone a heart transplant operation, the story denouncing the man as a "love rat", Sun journalists having been told that he had left his wife 15 years earlier. Aside from criticism about the story's highly questionable news value, the newspaper was furiously condemned as the story was run when the man's recovery was still in the balance."

"Some other controversies that occurred under MacKenzie include a headline describing Australian Aborigines as "The Abo's: Brutal and Treacherous" (which was condemned as "inaccurate" and "unacceptably racist" by the Press Council)[5] and MacKenzie's sending of photographers to break into a psychiatric hospital to ask actor Jeremy Brett, who was a patient in the hospital at the time and who was suffering from manic depression and dying of cardiomyopathy, whether he was "dying of AIDS"."

Lovely bloke.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...