UKC

Quiting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 15 Apr 2017
What would it take for you to walk away from your lifelong love?

(Mountains, not women)
 Timmd 15 Apr 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

A severe enough injury.
 Shani 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Quite.
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2017

bolts
 Monk 15 Apr 2017

Something else. Passions come in phases and will move to the reminiscence and happy memories phase if you can find something else to fill the space.
 PPP 15 Apr 2017

Brexit. My home country is flat.

Seriously, I quit rock climbing, but still do winter mountaineering, hill walking and mountain biking. I don't think I would ever quit mountains.
 Michael Hood 16 Apr 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor: I think even if I had a severe injury that stopped me climbing and walking in the mountains, I'd still want to go there sometimes just to be in the atmosphere and see the views.

So I guess the only things that would stop me were:
1. Dementia - to the extent that I no longer appreciated it.
2. Brain injury - as per 1.
3. Blindness

None of them very nice to contemplate.

TheFasting 16 Apr 2017
Being permanently physically unable to do it safely. Meaning an injury so severe I couldn't even do very basic stuff like walk.
Post edited at 01:01
 Stichtplate 16 Apr 2017

I might have to waddle away if they don't take creme eggs back off sale soon.
abseil 16 Apr 2017

> What would it take for you to walk away from your lifelong love?(Mountains, not women)

Death.
 wercat 16 Apr 2017

inability to do, to afford, to think?
 Ridge 16 Apr 2017

Well this is a cheery little thread
 stuartpicken 16 Apr 2017

actually, this cuts close to the bone of late!
and i'd suggest to all those making comments along the lines of 'only armageddon could stop me', its probably not true (and that's a good thing).
I recently walked away, with no idea how long it would be before i came back. the answer was years. And I did this because there are some things in life that are simply more important, in my case it was the care of a loved one. And yes, that's bearing in mind that climbing was more to me than a fun way to spend a sunday, but an integral part of my identity and my mental health.
but sometimes in life you make sacrifices and its liberating and in my experience makes life richer to recognise that you (yes, You) have things in your life you might sacrifice climbing for if you have to.
but, having said all that i'm back with chalk permanently under my finger nails.
 Ridge 16 Apr 2017
In reply to stuartpicken:
Very good post. Hope things worked out as well as they could.
 Bulls Crack 16 Apr 2017

Unrequited love?
 Brass Nipples 16 Apr 2017

If I found out the mountains had been unfaithful
Multiple Sclerosis, though I still admire them from afar.

And you?

T.
Post edited at 23:52
 Timmd 17 Apr 2017
In reply to stuartpicken:
> actually, this cuts close to the bone of late! and i'd suggest to all those making comments along the lines of 'only armageddon could stop me', its probably not true (and that's a good thing).I recently walked away, with no idea how long it would be before i came back. the answer was years. And I did this because there are some things in life that are simply more important, in my case it was the care of a loved one. And yes, that's bearing in mind that climbing was more to me than a fun way to spend a sunday, but an integral part of my identity and my mental health. but sometimes in life you make sacrifices and its liberating and in my experience makes life richer to recognise that you (yes, You) have things in your life you might sacrifice climbing for if you have to. but, having said all that i'm back with chalk permanently under my finger nails.

I meant my post to be 'within the bigger picture' context, but didn't put that in my post, and of course things in life ebb and flow, and we devote time to other things, but there seem to be things which remain as constants over the years, within things ebbing and flowing, too. Living in Sheffield since I was little has meant going to Burbage was a favourite as far back as the age of 4, so I put ' a severe enough injury' because I can't imagine ever deciding that I've had enough of being out in the hills and mountains, for going walking or mountain biking or scrambling etc, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take time away from all that if life required me to. Context is everything, I guess, you can't cover all life's intricacies in a one line post.

I too hope things went as well as they could have done.
Post edited at 00:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...