UKC

Recommend a harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 16 Apr 2017
Can you recommend to me a climbing harness, preferentially made in Britain.
It's for occasional (weekly) wall use and outdoor too.
I need 3 so am looking for something around £40 each.
Ta
 springfall2008 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

You can't get wrong with a Black Diamond, something like the momentum AL is a good harness fairly cheap:

http://www.climbers-shop.com/10820101/products/black-diamond-momentum-al-ha...

Personally I'd recommend the DMM renegade which is made in Wales I believe and is great for most situations, but it's £60-£70.

https://rockrun.com/products/dmm-renegade-2-harness?utm_source=Click&ut...
 IPPurewater 17 Apr 2017

Rock and Run have some decent looking deals on DMM and Wild Country harnesses. My current harness is a Wild Country one. I have in the past used Singing Rock harnesses which were well made. R&R has an offer on some of those.
 veteye 17 Apr 2017

I can't remember how much they cost, but nowadays I always use a Black Diamond Alpine Bod as you can use it any situation, and it's generally a lot easier to put on and take off when wearing overtrousers(Ice-climbing,Alpine etc)
It possibly is not as comfortable as the BD Bod, but the latter is less flexible in its use.
 Mark Kemball 17 Apr 2017

Another big fan of the DMM renegade - 7 gear loops, great for trad, worth the extra cash.
 springfall2008 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> Another big fan of the DMM renegade - 7 gear loops, great for trad, worth the extra cash.

Yes it's amazing, I have it as my outdoor harness as it's as light as a sports harness but with enough racking for Trad
 rich.harvey 17 Apr 2017

DMM Renegade every time.
OP Dave the Rave 17 Apr 2017
In reply to

Thanks everyone, I will have a look at those especially the renegade if I can get a good price.
 Andypeak 17 Apr 2017

Renegade is brilliant but I don't think it's made in UK. I believe dmm soft goods are made abroad.
Decathlon have a good looking harness for about £35 which would probably fit what you are after, not quite as good as dmm on but certainly brilliant value for money
OP Dave the Rave 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Andypeak:

> Renegade is brilliant but I don't think it's made in UK. I believe dmm soft goods are made abroad. Decathlon have a good looking harness for about £35 which would probably fit what you are after, not quite as good as dmm on but certainly brilliant value for money

Interesting that, but not unexpected. Anyone know of any British made harnesses ?
 springfall2008 18 Apr 2017

> Interesting that, but not unexpected. Anyone know of any British made harnesses ?

What do you mean by made, you can classify a product as British made if they do the final assembly in the UK, that could mean as little as sewing in a tag and packaging it up. In theory most of it could be made in China and profits could go to the Chinese firm.

On the other hand many products made outside the UK are designed in the UK and profits go to UK firms (sounds like DMM harnesses are in this camp).
 StuDoig 18 Apr 2017

another vote for renegade! Love the floating waist belt on it - means that you don't end up with your gear loops disappearing behind you when you put on more layers, use it in winter etc. Not sure if you can still get it, but there used to be a "pro" version with re-threaded buckle.

Cheers,

Stu
 Fakey Rocks 18 Apr 2017

Would you still wear a uk harness product if you found a foreign make to be loads more comfy?

I tried pretty much every harness, it should be based in what fits you.
You might be between sizes, some manufacturers have 5 different sizes, another's might cover everything with 2 or 3.

I found Wild Country's harnesses very comfortable... They do a 7 gear loop one.
Dmm were not comfy on me.

All my hardware is British manufacturer i think they make dmm hardware in wales too.

Harness, choose what's comfy. I bought foreign.

Are any ropes British?
 Fakey Rocks 18 Apr 2017
In reply to springfall2008:

BD is American?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...