UKC

Multi season waterproof shell and boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dashdash11 17 Apr 2017
Hi really hoping you guys would give me a bit of advice on putting together a list of clothing needed. I have recently started hill walking I am excited to start tackling some of Scotland’s easier Munro's and progress from there but at the moment I do not have any appropriate clothing due to tight finances but would like to piece together an outfitted over the next few months for multi season use as I hope this to be a year round activity. What would you recommend as a good all season waterproof shell. As I can get 25% discount from a friend who works at one of their suppliers I was looking at one of these two Rab jackets https://rab.equipment/uk/mens/waterproof/arc-jacket and https://rab.equipment/uk/mens/waterproof/charge-jacket but it doesn’t need to this brand. Would any of these two be a good all season choice? What do you wear? As for boots I am completely lost. When I search for recommendations I have to be honest I find it a little overwhelming between the view camps of GTX being the best choice because of its waterproofing and breath-ability and GTX being the worst choice due to its lack of ability to dry when water or sweat gets in. As for trousers I was thinking https://rab.equipment/uk/torque-pants-1. I already have a fleece that I will use as a mid layer. Thanks I appreciate all the advice I can get.
 Y Gribin 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Dashdash11:

If your budget is really, really tight then I would avoid brands such as Rab (even with a 25% discount). Good though they are, you'll get better value by picking up fleeces and waterproofs from places like Trespass and Mountain Warehouse. If there's a Decathalon near you, they are unbeatable for value.

Having said that, if you are going to spend money on anything, make it your boots. To avoid being overwhelmed, find an excellent local shop, seek their advice and buy what feels best to you - this fit and feel will be far more important than whether they are goretex or not.

Good luck.......if the gear becomes overwhelming, remember all you are really trying to do is ensure you are warm and dry. The mountains are the important bit
Dashdash11 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

Thanks! I did have a look in trespass shop and prices are much better but wasn't sure if they would be recommended as up to the task or not. There is a Decathalon not too far from me so will swing by soon.
In reply to Dashdash11:

+1 for Decathlon own-brand (Quechua) for good budget gear. Base layer, midlayer & outer shell, plus extra warm layer for rest stops. Hat, gloves & spares. Stainless steel flask, emergency/survival bag, map, compass, headtorch & you're ready to go.
For year-round mountain walking I would suggest a decent B2 rated boot (will be compatible with with C1 or C2 crampons for snowy/icy adventures) such as Scarpa Mantas or equivalent.
Try an assortment of boots (eg Scarpa, La Sportiva, Saloman, Raichle, Zamberlain....etc) & check out items for sale second hand on forums.
Have fun.
Dashdash11 17 Apr 2017
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Thanks that's a great list and you've really helped narrow down the boots for me.
 Greasy Prusiks 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Dashdash11:

OK so this isn't a view people in shops will tell you but in my experience nearly all modern clothing is of a very high quality.

HiGear fleeces and baselayers are great. Decathlon stuff is brilliant as well, people use that stuff in far more extreme ranges than Scotland. I've heard something about some Rab waterproofs delaminating but I can't remember the model, does anyone know?

If you're only planning on walking in summer then I'd buy a pair of standard walking boots, whatever is comfy really. If you're planning on winter ascents you'll need B1 or maybe B2 boots, crampons and an ice axe as well (you also need to know how to use them). It's worth mentioning that B2 boots can't really be used for summer walking.

Hope that helps.
Dashdash11 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Cheers. Really glad to hear from all of you that Decathlon stuff is great as its definitely more wallet friendly than most other brands I hear mentioned. Definitely planning winter ascents so may just buy a cheap pair of boots at the moment and wait till closer to winter to pick up some B2 boots. Definitely plan on swatting up on some reading and videos and attending a training course before tackling any winter ascents.
 Greasy Prusiks 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Dashdash11:

Not a problem. Cheap walking boots now and B2s in the winter sounds a really good idea. Good plan on the winter course, there's some aspects of winter walking where the danger isn't obvious without some knowledge. Getting a bit of training will keep you safe and increase your enjoyment.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions
 Billhook 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Dashdash11:

Both the jackets you linked to appear to lack hand pockets. This is a severe drawback if you intend to wear them when its cold, wet and windy. Most people stuff their hands in these pockets. Both jackets appear to be advertised as 'lightweight'. Which also reads as not very long lasting perhaps.

What I'd do, is visit a large store, such as has been mentioned and look for one of their 'end of range' sale items. I'm sure if I was in need of a decent Goretex jacket I could get one for under £150 by waiting for sales and the likes in places like Blacks and so on.

As a couple of others have said, don't go chasing brands.
 Billhook 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Dashdash11:

As for the boots? Go into a store.......... and get a pair of boots that fit you!!

Waterproof lined boots are, a godsend in my view. Having been brought up on non waterproof membrane boots and now owning boots which are waterproof makes a real difference in comfort.
 GrahamD 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

>.... if you are going to spend money on anything, make it your boots. To avoid being overwhelmed, find an excellent local shop, seek their advice and buy what feels best to you -

Absolutely spot on. At the end of the day, fleece is just made of fleece and any brand will work. Mates of mine have been to 6000m dressed pretty much in Millets finest but boots will make or break a trip if they don't fit.
 MG 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> . It's worth mentioning that B2 boots can't really be used for summer walking.

Eh?? They can - although they may feel a bit clumpy on made paths.
Dashdash11 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Dashdash11:

Thanks for everybody's input, has really narrowed down everything for me and saved me a bomb on what I though I was gonna spent. Going gear shopping tomorrow then goat fell at weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...