UKC

Parking overnight in eskdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Considering a camping trip to the great moss in upper eskdale- any suggestions as to the best place to leave the car? If I remember there's a big lay by at the bottom of the steep rise up to hardknott pass- but it's quite secluded, and i remember a thread a couple of years back warning about break ins to cars parked there.

Has anyone heard of such problems recently? Is there a better parking place further down the valley?

Cheers

Gregor
 Andrew Wilson 17 Apr 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

The lay by by the cattle grid just down from the fort is handiest. Camped at Great Moss with the kids on Friday night.
Usual statement of obvious re not leaving stuff on show/valuables in car etc.
there were at least half a dozen cars there when we left (1400 Friday) and when we returned (1100 Saturday), but not sure about overnight.
Enjoy, it's a great spot.

Andy
 pec 17 Apr 2017

When I've walked in to upper Eskdale (including overnight camping on one occassion) I've always parked near Cockley Beck. The road through the Duddon Valley meets the low point on the road between Wrynose and Hardknott Passes at this point. There's a small parking area about 50-100m west of the junction on the left or more parking in another 100m or so on the right where a marker post indicates the start of the path north into Mosedale.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=324615&y=501454&z=120&sv=...
Seems an unlikely spot to have car crime issues!
 John Kelly 17 Apr 2017
In reply to pec:

Quite a wet walk IIRC - damp valley mosedale
 Jon Stewart 17 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

> Camped at Great Moss with the kids on Friday night.

Eyup. That sounds great! Proper walk too. Have you got them seconding you up E grades yet?

It's cracking up here, getting out on the rock/fell most days. I'm always off on Sundays so if you're free give us a shout. I'll come down Yorkshire way as well - or Lancs. Was at Thorn Crag today which is excellent.
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

> The lay by by the cattle grid just down from the fort is handiest. Camped at Great Moss with the kids on Friday night. Usual statement of obvious re not leaving stuff on show/valuables in car etc. there were at least half a dozen cars there when we left (1400 Friday) and when we returned (1100 Saturday), but not sure about overnight. Enjoy, it's a great spot. Andy

thanks Andy- is that at the bottom of the hill? or still up near the fort?

were there other people camping at the great moss? agree a great spot- passed through it on the way to scafell a couple of years back, remarkable feeling of remoteness, felt more 'scottish' than lake district. hope to get the scramble on ill crag done, if the weather's good
In reply to pec:

hadn't thought of that, but looking at the map makes sense; its not *too* boggy, is it...?

gregor
 Wainers44 18 Apr 2017

No its not that bad and as you climb towards the head of Mosedale the path gets better. Park in the small layby where the signpost points into the valley. Its the best way into Upper Eskdale and leaves you with some interesting nav over the S Ridge of Esk Pike.
 Mark Eddy 18 Apr 2017

Rosedale is usually pretty damp, even after a dry spell. The first time I walked in to the Esk Buttress was from Cockley Beck, I remember spending some time cursing that decision. Better to park at the cattle grid on Eskdale side of Hardknott and walk in on the good path that follows the Esk Gorge (assuming you're heading in the general area of the Great moss).
HTH
Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...