UKC

Nothing more to say this week ....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 18 Apr 2017
Is this any good?

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/we-stand-for/2015-manifesto.html

(Ms Lucas has principles)
 Stichtplate 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:
> Ms Lucas has principles

Wonder how her principles stack up with other prominent advocates for the environment.

Charles on his private train.
Bono sending a jet to pick up his favourite hat.
Mrs Sting taking a private jet and entourage of five (including hairdresser) to a New York environmental summit.

To paraphrase Spider-Man... with sod all power comes sod all responsibility.
Post edited at 23:29
 Timmd 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
I was pondering this. With how Caroline Lucas has been a passionate greenie since before it became worthy or fashionable, when it was just a fringe movement, and how frustrated or almost pissed off she seems to get at what she sees as the lack of progress in the UK, it'd be odd if she didn't have strong principles (I reckon).
Post edited at 13:12
 Stichtplate 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:
It's a fair point and in all honesty I don't know enough about her in person to make that call. What I do know is that her principles haven't cost her much since she's making a good living out of them and the green manifesto is an unworkable mix of wishful thinking and right on bullshit.

...and that's coming from someone who wishes we had a responsible Green Party with real power.
Post edited at 14:47
 Timmd 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> It's a fair point and in all honesty I don't know enough about her in person to make that call. What I do know is that her principles haven't cost her much since she's making a good living out of them

Should principled people have to be poor?

> and the green manifesto is an unworkable mix of wishful thinking and right on bullshit....and that's coming from someone who wishes we had a responsible Green Party with real power.

I've probably accepted that the Greens won't be a government any time soon, but other than in the up coming election where I think I'm going to look into voting tactically, I keep voting for them to try and bring 'green things' further up the scale, so that the major parties might be more likely to be greener in their approach.

With Cameron waffling on about being the greenest government ever, it does seem to be that they recognise it's a vote winner/important to people.

I think 'right on bullshit' might be a subjective concept.
 Castleman 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Mrs Sting taking a private jet and entourage of five (including hairdresser) to a New York environmental summit.To paraphrase Spider-Man... with sod all power comes sod all responsibility.

Well if she's taking a private jet, she might as well fill it anyway. Why the focus on the hairdresser?!
 jkarran 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Wonder how her principles stack up with other prominent advocates for the environment.

Rather better. Simple question, simple answer.
jk
 Stichtplate 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

If her principles meant she risked impoverishment, inprisonment, injury or death then of course you'd be certain she was genuine.my point was simply that this is how she makes her living.
Right-on bullshit might be overstating it , but only a little. I've read your stuff, your a sensible bloke, I defy you to read through their manifesto without more than the occasional wince.
 Stichtplate 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Castleman:

> Well if she's taking a private jet, she might as well fill it anyway. Why the focus on the hairdresser?!

Her hairdresser happens to weigh 300lbs. That's a lot of extra aviation fuel
 Stichtplate 19 Apr 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> Rather better. Simple question, simple answer.jk

Ok, you've got the editor gig but it's going to be a bloody short book ; and ,I hope you're better at punctuation than I am?
 Timmd 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
> If her principles meant she risked impoverishment, inprisonment, injury or death then of course you'd be certain she was genuine.my point was simply that this is how she makes her living.Right-on bullshit might be overstating it , but only a little. I've read your stuff, your a sensible bloke, I defy you to read through their manifesto without more than the occasional wince.

We all have to make a living in the end. I'll always remember Caroline Lucas looking really pissed off on Question Time when talking about people who fly to New York and back in a day on Concorde for a meeting, think it was before 9/11, she was asking who was so important that the needed to do that.

She's one of the few politicians I've known to seem to get genuinely pissed off when talking about the things which matter to her. Tony Blair was good at appearing earnest, but I don't know how easy it is to fake being pissed off in the way Caroline Lucas sometimes is.

She 'feels principled' somehow, and has been consistent through her career.

Post edited at 19:27
 Stichtplate 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:
As I said, I honestly don't know enough about her, but if you've found a politician you can believe in , good for you. The last time I believed in a politician's vision and integrity was 97 and I haven't been able to trust anyone with that job title ever since.

....hmm, makes me sound a bit bitter and twisted so I'll add a smiley face
Post edited at 20:22
 Timmd 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:
I'm not sure how far I'd believe in any of them, but she seems to be among the better kind, regarding intentions and integrity. I think it's probably a part of the lot of a politician to make decisions which will leave some feeling disappointed.

For what it's worth my uncle's wife mentioned she and her teacher friends having champagne in the staff room in 97, and commenting on how naive they'd been.
Post edited at 20:53
 Stichtplate 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> For what it's worth my uncle's wife mentioned she and her teacher friends having champagne in the staff room in 97, and commenting on how naive they'd been.

It's a hugely common sentiment. Good job he converted to Catholicism because he's not getting any absolution otherwise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...