UKC

eBay help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 19 Apr 2017
I recently bought a MacBook pro off eBay, laptop arrived in good condition 13" 2.7 ghz and 256 GB memory and I started setting it up when I found out it was the model down from what was advertised and only had 128GB memory! as I probably paid slightly over the odds for a good condition and quick delivery I wasn't too happy, I put this down to an honest mistake (assumed she had read the 256kb level 2 each on the spec) and contacted the seller and said I would accept a partial refund of 20% that would cover the expense of upgrading the SSD to the spec that was described and was roughly the market difference between the two model.
She baulked at this denying the difference in spec despite the screen shots sent to her but also saying the cheap generic nylon case that came with it was enough recompense (A pretty worthless item) she has ignored any subsequent emails and I have now started the process of requesting a refund through eBay.
The dilemma I am facing is that because of the bank holiday and eBay process there is going to be a long delay, and I need the laptop for work and it is in otherwise good condition, do I just bite the bullet and the lesson learned of eBay and pay for the upgrade myself, take the pain of being without a laptop for the next few weeks and go through the process of returning it (at my own expense it turns out) and take the risk of buying
another laptop off eBay (and also risk the seller playing silly buggers about the return , the item didn't arrive, didn't work, was damaged etc.)
does anyone know if you can get eBay to enforce a partial refund, as for my situation getting a £100 back for the upgrade would be the least troublesome solution.
In reply to jethro kiernan:
I don't know about partial refunds but I know that the seller is also responsible for return costs for an item sold not as described. Ebay can provide you with a return postage label which you print and stick on the package, it then tracks the return. I did this recently with a countfeit product and found phoning and speaking to the ebay helpline was very constructive. It's lengthy going through the ebay process even though they will side in your favour, ultimately if she keeps being difficult ebay will refund you and then they will reclaim it from her.

Regarding whether it's worth the effort? Everyone will feel differently, for me her having a poor attitude would have make me persue it because I absolutely can't bare people who don't own their mistakes.

Editing to add:

Here's ebays advice to sellers who have sold not as described turns out they can issue partial refunds. Push for it.

https://tinyurl.com/l4hp6fn
Post edited at 15:41

Ebay will not enforce a partial refund. They do suggest that as a possible course of action in such cases but they leave it to the seller and buyer to work out between themselves. Ebay do enforce return for a refund on demand no matter why the buyer wants to return the item and they also provide free returns (at the seller's expense) if the buyer states that the item is not as described.
 stubbed 19 Apr 2017

You need to return it and get a full refund. You won't get a partial refund through ebay as for them it is all or nothing.
I would return it and buy a new one straight away so you don't need to be without one.
 Mr Lopez 19 Apr 2017

Buy a 128gb SSD. Use the laptop and store all your work in that drive while the process runs through eBay. When the resolution centre tells you to send it back for a refund remove the drive, send the laptop back, wait for her to re-list it with the right description, buy it again from her for the right price, put the drive back on.
 wilkie14c 19 Apr 2017

you'll win the claim of 'not as described' without any doubt but before you get there this could be used as leverage against the seller. she won't want to have to list it again and risk bad feedback if she can help it. So, i would propose to her that she pays for a new SSD of the correct size, 256mb and you instal it yourself and load up macosx via the internet recovery program. then send her the 128 SSD back and she can sell this on ebay to recover some of her costs. Either she does that or follow the process and get full refund.
i buy and sell a lot of macs and a SSD capacity issue like you describe is a serious error in listing, enough to affect the price of the item and it's functionality.
I'm hoping she will see reason when eBay gets involved and just gives the partial refund no sign of that yet although I've started the process, until then I'm stuck with a laptop I can't use, and because I have to go work abroad it going to turn into a long winded process of exchanging it then finding another. Overall a bit frustrating especially as it probably was a genuine mistake on her part, however being reasonable doesn't seemed to have paid off The complete shut down of communication has turned it into a bit of a Mexican standoff, either I crack and just except the hit because I need the laptop or she quits and excepts the reasonable offer I've put to her.

> I'm hoping she will see reason when eBay gets involved and just gives the partial refund no sign of that yet

The problem is that there are a lot of chancers out there who abuse ebay's "buyer protection" policy to scam a partial refund out of sellers in cases when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the item and they just want a sneaky discount. It is endemic on ebay. As a result many sellers have got a blanket no partial refunds policy and will always insist on a return for a full refund in the belief that such a stance will separate the chancers from the honest buyers with a genuine grievance.

Jimbocz 20 Apr 2017
My opinion is that you just need to get another laptop and resolve to send that one back for a full refund. I've been on both sides of this issue as a buyer and a seller and the solution has to be cut and dried . As a seller, I am not going to negotiate anything with a buyer who might be trying to scam me. What happens if the laptop stops working after you've switched out the new drive? I'll just get the item back and list it again with a different description if necessary. And I'll be certain to protect myself by following the EBAY procedure by the book. What if I actually do give some kind of partial refund and then the seller claims it never happened and then asks for a full refund? EBay policy is pretty much to side with the buyer in every circumstance and to give a refund immediately with the Seller's money wether they like it or not.

The seller is not being unreasonable, she's just waiting for you to ask for a return. Until then, there's not much she needs to say to you.
Post edited at 16:50
In reply to Jimbocz:

I do think she is being unreasonable in as much as I have one reply, I have asked through eBay for a refund , again no reply so she is just waiting for eBay to enforce it, as I say I was trying to be reasonable so explained why I needed to resolve the matter for work, I have also sent a number of screen shots showing the serial number and memory available, the lack of response is a little disrespectful, as a seller I was contacted by someone who didn't receive their package (relatively low value item, I asked them to wait a few days until the weekend and if the item hadn't arrived I would refund them, which I did)
Making me wait for the eBay process has basically wasted a month or will force me to accept being ripped off, as I need to use the computer next week or I will lose several days pay which is far more than the cost of an upgrade.
I could use the computer before sending it back but I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Jimbocz 21 Apr 2017

I think you are correct not to use the computer, it is not yours if you are going to send it back. I'm sure it's a gray area legally, but if you start to use that computer for anything more than seeing if it was as described, then you should keep it for the price you paid.

All this lady owes you is to pay for the postage back and refund any money you gave her as long as the computer is in the same shape it was when she sent it out. She also owes you an apology for her mistake costing you time, but that's the risk you run shopping on Ebay. That's why it is cheaper. If you want quick resolutions to any possible issues, shop at Jhon Lewis.

She should act as quickly as possible to take the computer back and refund your money, as soon as you request a return. Have you actually done that? It seems like you might still be asking for a partiaal refund she has already said no to.

Personally, I feel that your need to have a laptop right now is not her responsibility. If you lost a thousand quid worth of work would you try to sue her for that? Of course not, she has no control over your work requirements and can't be held responsible.

I'm not having a go at you, just trying to help you see the other side of the arguments. Good luck sorting it out.
 nutme 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Jimbocz:

But she lied and refuses to cooperate putting buyer into disadvantage.
And obviously she will not act fast. It's not in her interest. Now she has a hope buyer would 'eat it' and close the case. Otherwise she can wait until case is resolved by ebay. And it can take few weeks.

So seriously it would make seance for buyer to use laptop meanwhile.
Jimbocz 21 Apr 2017
In reply to nutme:

Okay, let's imagine the OP uses the computer while waiting for the seller to authorise the return, and then drops it anode cracks the screen. You must agree that the OP can't send it back and the seller has already said no to a discount. What should happen then?

What if he does some kind of damage that is not obvious and she can't tell until she sells it to someone else?

No matter what he does, if he uses it then there is some impact on the computer. The seller would deserve compensation for that use. She might have made an honest mistake but if OP uses that computer it will be dishonest.

In retail, the rule of thumb is that you can bring stuff back unless you use it. You can't ask for your money back if you've already eaten the food.
I have officially asked for a refund through eBay five days ago, this and 3 previous emails to her and no reply, she is effectively ignoring any communication, even if she responded with a message saying she doesn't accept partial refunds would be fine I could start the process.
I do feel aggrieved she is basically making me wait by not communicating and this is causing me problems because she has tied up my finances through her mistake and it will be next month before it will be resolved as ebay allow time for buyer and seller to "resolve" matters, somewhat difficult when one party won't respond
There is a part of me that's is going f£&@ it I'll use the computer till the money is in the bank and then wipe it clean and send it back if she wants to act like an arse.
 wilkie14c 22 Apr 2017

i feel your pain but unfortunately you accepted all of this as the conditions of sale when you brought the macbook
you could just put it down to experience and keep it as it is and get a bigger hd later
Removed User 22 Apr 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:
> i feel your pain but unfortunately you accepted all of this as the conditions of sale when you brought the macbook you could just put it down to experience and keep it as it is and get a bigger hd later

Did you not read the OP? The lappy was advertised with one specs and the item delivered had lower specs than was advertised. OP should just get a full refund.

That's assuming the OP is correct because he keeps calling HDD space 'memory' and is switching between KB and GB in a weird way.
Post edited at 17:25
In reply to Removed User:

The only time I've referred to KB
Is outlining a possible mistake on her part where on the about this computer it lists 256kb level 2 cache could possibly be misread as the available GB on the SSD
The reference to memory is my photo head as I'm usually thinking of available GB on "memory" cards
 wilkie14c 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Removed User:

that the laptop was not as advertised is accepted, it is the t&c s of ebay that is putting the op out somewhat, hence my statement that the op agreed to the ebay t&c s when he bought it and although i agree it's a pain, he will get a refund without problem however it will take time and there is nothing he can do about it.
As an ebay seller who has sold over 100 macs over the last 3 years i may of course be talking out of my arse
 MikeTS 23 Apr 2017

The seller stands no chance with eBay when you complain, they will insist and force a refund. Especially a problem for her if she is a regular seller and needs ratings. Can you handle the cash flow of getting another mac on eBay now to spec and waiting for the refund?
In reply to MikeTS:

Cash flow tied up with this , hence my annoyance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...