UKC

Those thinking of leaving Brexit Britain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 20 Apr 2017
That whole "moving to Aus" thing just got a bit harder...

"Australia will make it more difficult to gain citizenship in a major overhaul of its migration process.
Aspiring citizens will undergo tougher tests on their English language skills and ability to demonstrate "Australian values", PM Malcolm Turnbull said.
Applicants must also have completed four years as a permanent resident - three years longer than at present.
The move comes two days after Australia unveiled stricter visa requirements for skilled workers from overseas.
Mr Turnbull said the changes would ensure that migrants were better integrated into the community.
"It is important that they understand that they are making a commitment to our Australian values," he said."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39637770
 winhill 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Where men glow and women chunder?
 zebidee 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Aspiring citizens will undergo tougher tests on their English language skills and ability to demonstrate "Australian values", PM Malcolm Turnbull said.

What? Like the ability to refer to everyone as a c**t?
 Doug 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

haven't New Zealand also just announced changes in their immigration policy which will make it harder for Brits ?
OP Big Ger 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Doug:

Yep, in line with the Aussie changes.
 ianstevens 20 Apr 2017
In reply to zebidee:

> What? Like the ability to refer to everyone as a c**t?

That and an over the top appreciation of Nathan Lyon, an understanding of AFL and a diploma in BBQs.
In reply to Big Ger:

> Yep, in line with the Aussie changes.

Surely "...tougher tests on their English language skills and ability to demonstrate "Australian values..." Brits aren't going to be finding it as tough as some.
OP Big Ger 20 Apr 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> That and an over the top appreciation of Nathan Lyon

Goat.
 Dark-Cloud 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I would prefer Europe over Aus anyway i think.....
 ad111 20 Apr 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> That and an over the top appreciation of Nathan Lyon, an understanding of AFL and a diploma in BBQs.

It is impossible to over appreciate Goat.
 Darron 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

It's hard to see how the changes would affect people from this country. The changes are clearly not aimed at white, western applicants.
 RomTheBear 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:
> It's hard to see how the changes would affect people from this country. The changes are clearly not aimed at white, western applicants.

Difficult to see how a longer qualifying residence period will somehow not apply to "white, western" applicants.
Post edited at 15:05
 neilh 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:

Where does it say that?
In reply to Darron:

As cheating at cricket is part of the Australian way of life I could see a few Pakistani's breezing through the qualifying procedure. Along with the odd ex-captain of South Africa
 Mike Highbury 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:
> As cheating at cricket is part of the Australian way of life I could see a few Pakistani's breezing through the qualifying procedure. Along with the odd ex-captain of South Africa

Given that the Australians won't give Shane Sutton the time of day, I find it a little surprising that you think a little wink will make your comment acceptable.
 summo 20 Apr 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
> That and an over the top appreciation of Nathan Lyon, an understanding of AFL and a diploma in BBQs.

Surfing competency check?

Once an official Aussie they will then be qualified to move to London for bar work though.
Post edited at 16:13
 tony 20 Apr 2017

> As cheating at cricket is part of the Australian way of life I could see a few Pakistani's breezing through the qualifying procedure. Along with the odd ex-captain of South Africa

They'll have to exhume him first.
In reply to Mike Highbury:

What relevance does Shane Sutton have to the Aussies cheating or not cheating at cricket?

(Honourable mention must go to Adam Gilchrist who bucked the trend).
 BnB 20 Apr 2017

In all my years of watching cricket, Australia is the side that I have most rarely seen bending the rules and that which plays the game with the greatest respect for its traditions. Sledging? yes. Cheating? Certainly not. Which is more than I can say for England.
OP Big Ger 20 Apr 2017
In reply to ad111:

> It is impossible to over appreciate Goat.

Agreed.
OP Big Ger 20 Apr 2017
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Difficult to see how a longer qualifying residence period will somehow not apply to "white, western" applicants.

Because racism, yeah, racism right, racism, got it?
OP Big Ger 20 Apr 2017

> (Honourable mention must go to Adam Gilchrist who bucked the trend).

Gilly personified sportsmanship.

Darron 20 Apr 2017
In reply to RomTheBear:

Well of course it will apply....and will not be a significant problem to most white, western applicants.
Whereas the other stuff re language, values, fgm etc etc will be a problem. Rightly or wrongly this is a clearly targetted piece of legislation that is , again rightly or wrongly, in line with what you might expect from Turnbull's government.
OP Big Ger 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:

I work in an office in which 11 staff are white, (Aussie, Pommy, Danish, Kiwi,) and 14 staff are non-white, (African, Chinese, Indonesian, Asian, Middle Eastern, South American.)

All four of our doctors are non-white.

What's your experience?

PS: Do you know which city has the world's second largest Greek population after Athens?

Darron 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I do know that immigration is a percieved problem in Australia (in fact I've been struck by how similar the political concerns down under are with here in the UK).
I was not commenting on the rights or wrongs of the changes but alluded to the intent and politics behind the proposed legislation.
 Bobling 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Watching him smack a lighting quick test century at the Waca in 2006 remains one of my favourite memories of that Ashes series. The stands were a sea of boxing kangaroos and green and gold. Top day even for an England supporter!
 RomTheBear 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:
> Well of course it will apply....and will not be a significant problem to most white, western applicants.Whereas the other stuff re language, values, fgm etc etc will be a problem. Rightly or wrongly this is a clearly targetted piece of legislation that is , again rightly or wrongly, in line with what you might expect from Turnbull's government.

From what has been said of the policy here, it doesn't seem particularly targeted to me (assuming it is applied indiscriminately).
I think it's a bit like in the UK, immigration policy is designed with ideological and political targets in mind, instead of a rational assessment, and it often achieves exactly the opposite of what was advertised.
Post edited at 00:28
OP Big Ger 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:

> I do know that immigration is a percieved problem in Australia (in fact I've been struck by how similar the political concerns down under are with here in the UK).I was not commenting on the rights or wrongs of the changes but alluded to the intent and politics behind the proposed legislation.

Well I live in Australia, currently, and have done for the past 17 years, I think you're wrong. I think it's a necessary adjustment to our entry requirements.

OP Big Ger 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Bobling:
> Watching him smack a lighting quick test century at the Waca in 2006 remains one of my favourite memories of that Ashes series. The stands were a sea of boxing kangaroos and green and gold. Top day even for an England supporter!

Wasn't at the WACA match, did see him at the SCG. Marvelous player, and now a good commentator.
Post edited at 00:40
 wbo 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
Why do you think it's a necessary step? I am asking out of curiousity. The Aus governemt is getting a bit of reputation for racism so am immediately suspicious.

Interesting use of 'our' by the way.
Jim C 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I heard about this Big G , and was going to start a thread, but then I thought that you would pick this up and run with it, and would be able to add your own knowledge to the subject.

With that in mind, was there not something mentioned about reducing ( significantly) the number of categories of jobs that people could apply to come in under?

My understanding was it would only be the genuinely higher skilled end, with a view to employing more resident Australian workers for what were relatively low skilled jobs that many of which are currently being filled by immigrants.

deacondeacon 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> I work in an office in which 11 staff are white, (Aussie, Pommy, Danish, Kiwi,) and 14 staff are non-white, (African, Chinese, Indonesian, Asian, Middle Eastern, South American.)All four of our doctors are non-white.What's your experience?PS: Do you know which city has the world's second largest Greek population after Athens?

Thessaloniki?
In reply to BnB:

I wasn't comparing them to England as I know we aren't whiter than white. But really, they don't cheat? Did you use an invisible smiley?

Cheating was encouraged from the top down, Punter & Chapell being classic examples. And what about Cricket Australia not giving Warney a decent ban?
OP Big Ger 21 Apr 2017
In reply to wbo:

> Why do you think it's a necessary step?

The immigration laws over here are rather loose, and getting citizenship a bit too easy. (I got it FFS!)
 George Ormerod 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

The conservatives tried this in the last Canadian election. It seemed (rightly or wrongly) to be perceived as a racist dog whistle along with a ban on hijabs, and backfired spectacularly, bolstering the Liberals and paving the way to their victory.

It's still being banged on about by one of the Conservative leadership contenders. But she seems to be likely to be beaten by Kevin O'leary, a reality television gobshite..... what could possibly go wrong there.............

Oldsign 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:

> (in fact I've been struck by how similar the political concerns down under are with here in the UK).

Murdoch innit.
 The New NickB 22 Apr 2017

A few classics here, the Langer bail flick is outrageous.

youtube.com/watch?v=mg5XyjeoPMs&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...