UKC

Only thing between me and a marathon is my feet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 20 Apr 2017
I've been running on and off for about 3 or 4 years now, I can very easily run 5 or 10k with hardly any effort. I've ran half marathons a handful of times only and find that my legs and lungs are completely fine but my feet kill me for days to a week afterwards, like the bones in my feet not the skin. I find a similar kind of thing happens if I run say 3 x 10k's in one week.

Any advice?? Do I just need to steadily increase my weekly mileage?

It's annoying because I never realised parts of your body, e.g. legs and lungs, can be ready for something that another part isn't, e.g. feet bones!

Thanks all
 Alex1 20 Apr 2017
In reply to elliot.baker:

Yes - you just need to increase mileage gradually, your body takes time to adapt. I know it's stating the obvious but a marathon is over four 10ks back to back and it puts different demands on the body. Try going longer and slower. Finally make sure you're trainers fit properly and that they are not too old (replace after 400-500 miles).
 summo 20 Apr 2017

Could be a host of things. Are you a heavier runner, I'm usually just under 90kgs if I skimp on cushioning in my trainers I'd know about it. Also pronation... Google it and see what sort of feet you have etc.. your running shoes should be just for that, they say if you wear them for other things it isn't so good for them.

Also do some mileage off road etc... even try to vary on road mileage, as always running against the traffic means your feet always run on specific camber.. so try to run on level ground or at least vary it.
 wbo 20 Apr 2017
As above , what shoes. If you decide you're going to stick the miles in, and use a very light, lightly cushioned shoes your feet will be very strong or very beat up, particularly if you are more than stick like.

If you put your hands in your shoes, and move them over the sole, can you feel big depressions where usage has flattened out and killed the cushioning?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...