UKC

Will Jezza Corbyn be Labour Leader at 23:00 on 9th June?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 winhill 20 Apr 2017
At the moment if JC does the decent thing and falls on his ploughshare after the election you'll get 4/7 at William Hill.

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/9388974/Jeremy+Corbyn+Lab...

So assuming he can find the decent thing it offers a better bet than betting on a Tory majority which is offered at 1/7.

Obviously a forecast of the two can improve things a bit too.

Or you can spice it up by adding a bet on the next leader:

Keir Starmer 4/1

Yvette Cooper 9/2

David Miliband 12/1

Lisa Nandy 14/1

Ed Balls Gangnam Style 20/1

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/9592071/Party+Leader+Bett...

Interesting bit from the staggers today "According to YouGov, the percentage of people who expect a Labour victory on 8 June is smaller than the number who believe that the Moon landings were faked."
 summo 20 Apr 2017
In reply to winhill:

Yes. He will refuse to leave until the party vote to replace him.
 Mike Highbury 20 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:
> Yes. He will refuse to leave until the party vote to replace him.

Then he will win because he'll be on the ballot paper and the registered supporters will vote him in!
 summo 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Then he will win because he'll be on the ballot paper and the registered supporters will vote him in!

Not his decision. Len will decide if he makes the paper. He who pays the piper...
 Mike Highbury 20 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:
> Not his decision. Len will decide if he makes the paper. He who pays the piper...

True but without deselection, which is no longer on the cards, obv., there won't be enough nut-MPs to put another of his ilk on the ballot paper.
 Offwidth 20 Apr 2017
In reply to winhill:

I can't see it.

Very possible disaster: he has to go.
Very possible big decline and increased Tory majority he almost certainly has to go.
Possible Labour decline but Lib Dems do phenomenally well: Labour could form a minority government with them and SNP: the other two parties just won't agree with him as leader.
Increased Labour seats and minortiy win highly unlikely.
Labour majority near impossible.

There is a significant chance he might not even make it past the May Council elections.
 krikoman 20 Apr 2017
In reply to winhill:

Great speech by JC today setting out his stall and highlighting the short-comings of Mrs May and her cronies.

summo 20 Apr 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> Great speech by JC today setting out his stall and highlighting the short-comings of Mrs May and her cronies.

Yeah. Stella start. Wasn't sure if he was for or against a 2nd eu referendum, umpteen mps have decided to quit and not run, will they won't they form a coalition etc., Thornberry up in arms at the proposed tax rises for her and her husband.... go JC you've got the Tories on the back foot already.

I think Labour might risk dumping Corbyn between now and June. It's going to be bad anyway, but they might just save a few seats if they get rid of him a couple of weeks early and end the 70s experiment.
 Postmanpat 20 Apr 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> Great speech by JC today setting out his stall and highlighting the short-comings of Mrs May and her cronies.

He did sound good. Shame about Dawn Butler's car crash interview on R4. Dire stuff.
 Andy Hardy 20 Apr 2017
In reply to winhill:

I think he'll be tweeting "the fight starts now" on the 9th June
 neilh 20 Apr 2017
In reply to krikoman:
It was good . But not inspirational for those with aspirations........
 summo 20 Apr 2017
In reply to neilh:

> It was good . But not inspirational for those with aspirations........

All 'fully costed' apparently.
In reply to Postmanpat:

> He did sound good. Shame about Dawn Butler's car crash interview on R4. Dire stuff.

was that the one where she accused Costa of tax avoidance, then had to admit she didn't really know which coffee chain she meant?

dear me. spectacularly inept.
 Postmanpat 20 Apr 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> was that the one where she accused Costa of tax avoidance, then had to admit she didn't really know which coffee chain she meant?dear me. spectacularly inept.

Yup. She kept saying the wanted to talk about policies so Eddie Mair kept asking her to talk about policies but she couldn't name any! Eddie actually her helped out by gently double checking if she really meant Costa.

A very shallow bench. Lady Nugee is quite articulate, as is McDonnell in a sinister kind of way, but that's about it as far as I can tell.
Post edited at 21:56
 Wainers44 20 Apr 2017
In reply to krikoman:

Have a like, totally agree. Guy on the TV just said JC isn't a "coherent leader". Not sure I know what that is, but I do know what a leader is and JC just isn't one, wish he was.
 Big Ger 20 Apr 2017
In reply to winhill:

"If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
It were done quickly: if the assassination
Could trammel up the consequence, and catch
With his surcease success; that but this blow
Might be the be-all and the end-all here,
But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,
We'ld jump the life to come. But in these cases
We still have judgment here; that we but teach
Bloody instructions, which, being taught, return
To plague the inventor: this even-handed justice"
 pec 20 Apr 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> Great speech by JC today setting out his stall and highlighting the short-comings of Mrs May and her cronies. >

If you consider the usual chip on the shoulder, class war cliches to be "great" then it was great but rather short on any detail, who doesn't want a "fairer" society etc etc.
That kind of rhetoric has never served Labour well in elections before and the car crash interview with Dawn Butler and Emily Thornberry's vacuous ramblings on her recent radio outings suggests detail isn't going to feature prominently in labour's campaign.

Jack 20 Apr 2017
In reply to pec:

Detail? It's the tories you need for detail. As an example, I know for sure that brexit will be red white and blue. Now thats the kind of detail I can sign up to.
 Mark Bannan 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

I also agree.

I don't think this election is a foregone conclusion by any means. His speech today help make genuine gains in traditional Labour (not "New Labour"!) heartlands and could really worry the Tories in many parts of the North of England, London, The West Country and the Central Belt of Scotland.

I do concede that the Tories are currently favourites, I also believe that Labour's stock is rising.

Although I wasn't particularly impressed by Dawn Butler's radio interview, JC's speech is far more important.

I do have some hope now for real change!

M
 pec 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Jack:

> Detail? It's the tories you need for detail. As an example, I know for sure that brexit will be red white and blue. Now thats the kind of detail I can sign up to. >

We'll deal with Tory detail as and when a thread appears on the subject but we're discussing Corbyn's speech here.
 Darron 20 Apr 2017
In reply to pec:

If you consider the usual chip on the shoulder, class war cliches to be "great" then it was great but rather short on any detail, who doesn't want a "fairer" society etc etc.

He did make clear he would go after Sports Direct, multinationals that don't pay tax, zero hours contracts etc. He stated a general principal of wanting to equalise society. That probably gained traction with lots of voters (including me).
 Jack 20 Apr 2017
In reply to pec:

Read the op. The thread is about jc being party leader after the election.

You brought up the lack of policy detail. If you are happy to point out the lack of detail from one side, then don't be upset when someone points out the same lack of detail from the other.

Its all about balance after all.
 pec 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:

> He did make clear he would go after Sports Direct, multinationals that don't pay tax, zero hours contracts etc. He stated a general principal of wanting to equalise society. That probably gained traction with lots of voters (including me). >

What does "going after" actually mean in practice though? George Osborne said very similar things as have any number of politicians from all parties, its meaningless without concrete proposals and who doesn't want to equalise society? Have you ever heard any politician fighting for an unequal society, in themselves these statements are meaningless.

For those who missed the Dawn Butler car crash, here's the highlights:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39659304
or the full monty here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050mzc6

Is this really the calibre of minister we can expect under a Corbyn government?
Jim C 21 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

> All 'fully costed' apparently.

Yep most chancellors stand up with a ' fully costed' budget, then find that when reality hits they have to do U turns on some of it.

So 'fully costed' means nothing.
 neilh 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Darron:

And the MP - who has been driving this issue for Labour -Ian Wright - is stepping down.

Which you can read any number of ways.

A great pity

summo 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> Yep most chancellors stand up with a ' fully costed' budget, then find that when reality hits they have to do U turns on some of it.So 'fully costed' means nothing.

I suspect labour is fully costed, once you factor in another trillion in debt and sending the deficit back to where it was 5 years ago... But magic growth will clear that debt by 2350-2400 so it's ok.
 RomTheBear 21 Apr 2017
In reply to winhill:

No.
 ianstevens 21 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

> I suspect labour is fully costed, once you factor in another trillion in debt and sending the deficit back to where it was 5 years ago... But magic growth will clear that debt by 2350-2400 so it's ok.

Is this the same magic growth that the tories are also relying on to reduce debt?
 krikoman 21 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

> I suspect labour is fully costed, once you factor in another trillion in debt and sending the deficit back to where it was 5 years ago... But magic growth will clear that debt by 2350-2400 so it's ok.

And which party has produced more debt than ANY labour party in the history of British politics?
 Roadrunner5 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Mark Bannan:

The problem is much of old labours heartland is pro Brexit..

New Labour is (and always has been) Labours only chance to be electable. A progressive center left party. Anything old style is dead..

I think he's just full of sound bites, absolutely useless and he's wiping out the labour party.

There only realistic chance is start forming coalitions in advance.
 wbo 21 Apr 2017
In reply to winhill:
If Theresa May loses her majority i assume she would resignation. What if it is reduced? This election is effectively a mandate
 summo 21 Apr 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> Is this the same magic growth that the tories are also relying on to reduce debt?

The deficit is declining. Listening to Corbyn he is making election pledges the economy can't cash. It's fair enough he has 7 weeks to say anything before heading back to back, nothing to lose. Promise the world!!
 pec 21 Apr 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> And which party has produced more debt than ANY labour party in the history of British politics? >

The same one that inherited the worst economic situation of any government in living memory from its Labour predecessors of course.
 krikoman 24 Apr 2017
In reply to pec:

> The same one that inherited the worst economic situation of any government in living memory from its Labour predecessors of course.

And managed to make it worse, longer and we still haven't seen any improvement. Gorgeous George was going to sort it out with five years if I remember rightly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...