UKC

I wonder if a hung parliament would be the best outcome?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 20 Apr 2017
Last election I actually voted Conservative, because I did not want Labour to come in and lose all the advantages of the previous coalition's tight reins on the economy, but I was not happy at having to vote for a party that was advocating a referendum on leaving Europe, yet I was between the devil and deep blue sea.
Now that we have started to suffer for the short-sightedness of David Cameron, and also of many who supported the leave campaign, I would like to at least have a chance of a soft Brexit, and preferably a further referendum after the real facts of leaving start to show up, and after the lies of the leave campaign are highlighted.(Will any spare money, if there is any after leaving, be spent as an additional financial support for the NHS at all? That is just one example)

I have several clients who voted to leave and now regret it and feel that they were lied to and duped, and would dearly love a further vote when more is known about the prospects of leaving.

I may not get chance to see many of the answers to this, so I apologise in advance if I cannot reply. I am just working long hours at the moment.

No doubt I will receive a good number of dislikes, but I would like to see some ideas for how to vote to make the leaving more logical, steady and even mellow.
Should I vote Liberal? I certainly don't want to vote for Mrs May who was a good sec of state, but who now seems even capable of lying to herself. I like some of the ideas of Corbyn, but his economics don't stand scrutiny, and I don't like his inability to listen very well to his elected MPs. Hopefully this election will see him depart to the back benches or even further off.
 bouldery bits 20 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

The eye pun thread is better.
OP veteye 20 Apr 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

I wonder if I could blend the two?
Nevertheless who are you thinking of backing?
What would you do if you were a remainer?
 bouldery bits 20 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

As a remainer I'll be voting for my current MP because i think he's pretty decent.
 aln 20 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

I just voted for stringing them up on Lemmings thread. Can I vote for it again?
 Jim Fraser 20 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

Why would it not be the best outcome? People then have to talk to each other and work together. Since when was that a bad thing?

VOTING PRINCIPLES

1. Try to vote for somebody who is cleverer than you.

2. Try to vote for someone who wants to create a world you would actually like to live in.

bouldery bits 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> VOTING PRINCIPLES
1. Try to vote for somebody who is cleverer than you.

I'm going to find this bit really easy.

2. Try to vote for someone who wants to create a world you would actually like to live in.

Ah. Now. This'll be tough.
Jim C 21 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:
The flaw ( or the real remainer reason ) of wanting a second referendum on the deal, is that the EU ( that don't want us to leave) will simply give us the bad deal , so bad that even a Brexiteer would never accept.
The EU will not be negotiating with the ultimate decision maker, so a referendum on the deal will cut the feet away from May as a negotiator, and they will then be looking to abort Brexit.
Post edited at 00:21
 balmybaldwin 21 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

I'm voting against the government for reasons similar to the OP and turning to Liberal I think (I don't think labour could mount a challenge here in Surrey, and I couldn't vote for Corbyn as PM)
 Dave Garnett 21 Apr 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> 1. Try to vote for somebody who is cleverer than you.

Indeed. It used to my minimum requirement but it seems increasingly difficult, given the choice available.

stevieb 21 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

There are only two possible outcomes to this election; a conservative majority or a hung parliament. There is no chance of a corbyn win, so this shouldn't be your biggest concern.
It's really a choice between Theresa may having freedom to do what she wants , or her being held to account by minority parties
 nutme 21 Apr 2017
Is LibDems only party in England who wants to throw away Brexit?
I would guess no matter that else they stand for is in-important considering a U turn on Brexit.

So it's quite simple really. If you don't want Brexit voting LibDems is the only option. If you like idea of Brexit then any other party.
 Bob Hughes 21 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

it depends on who your Tory party candidate is. If they are a committed remainer or moderate, they are your best chance of moderation. If they are a head-banger, vote Lib Dem. Labour isn't going to help you either way.
 Jim Fraser 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Hughes:

The only good thing the Tories ever did was take us into the EU. It's been downhill since then with them repeatedly overseeing economic and social decline relative to EU partners of similar resources.
OP veteye 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Hughes:

That's it decided then.
Thank goodness there's only 6 weeks of campaigning this time.
In reply to Bob Hughes:

I wonder if Gina Miller's tactical voting campaign has a chance
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/21/mps-brexit-britain-vo...

There isn't time to create a new centre-right party for England before the election but maybe the next best things is tactical voting to get as many pro-Europe MPs in as possible - either Lib Dems or Labour/Tories that don't mind rebelling.
 summo 22 Apr 2017
In reply to veteye:

A coalition government is good, but the UK population has no experience of them, they still expects all sides to deliver all their manifesto promises. Look what happened to the lib dems.
 Pedro50 22 Apr 2017
In reply to summo:

> A coalition government is good, but the UK population has no experience of them

Err we had 5 years of it didn't we?

summo 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

> Err we had 5 years of it didn't we?

Yes and one party got hammered out of existed in the next election because its supporters didn't grasp you can't have everything your own way in a coalition. I think now, many Libdem supporters have grasped that perhaps in coalition they were taming the Tories a little.

As I said, or meant the UK doesn't understand coalitions. The whole structure of parliament even the seating layout is around 2 party politics, one in power, the other is hm loyal opposition. Rather than opposition, what if they actually worked together a bit more?
 Martin Hore 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> it depends on who your Tory party candidate is. If they are a committed remainer or moderate, they are your best chance of moderation. If they are a head-banger, vote Lib Dem. Labour isn't going to help you either way.

Sadly I don't think this approach will work. My Tory MP was a very committed Remainer - I worked with him on the campaign. But now he's in the government and not, as far as I'm aware, arguing effectively, if at all, against TM's hard Brexit approach. His explanation: "I'm a democrat - and the country (and his constituency) voted for Bexit" doesn't really wash with me. A true democrat would recognise that 52/48 is not a decisive result, that the median view based on that outcome is the softest of soft Bexits (ie remaining in the single market) and that if opinion shifts as the options become clearer then a true democrat would allow a second referendum to reverse the decision.

Committed Remainers should vote this time for one of the parties that is unequivocal in its opposition to a hard Brexit - Lib Dems, SNP or Green. I've been out on the streets for the Lib Dems this morning.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...